Motorcraft website

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the motorcraft website and entered my info (97 mustang 4.6) and under the oil section they recommended 5w-20 (no suprise I think they recommend this for new and older Fords now) anyways under optional oils they listed 5w-30 (what my manual says..) but to my suprise they also listed 10w-30 as an optional oil that is approved for use, I remember there was some talk here that a thinner oil such as 5w-30 was needed to reach the top of the engine faster? Thoughts?

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by MustangGT:
I was at the motorcraft website and entered my info (97 mustang 4.6) and under the oil section they recommended 5w-20 (no suprise I think they recommend this for new and older Fords now) anyways under optional oils they listed 5w-30 (what my manual says..) but to my suprise they also listed 10w-30 as an optional oil that is approved for use, I remember there was some talk here that a thinner oil such as 5w-30 was needed to reach the top of the engine faster? Thoughts?

Thanks

At anything above freezing, a 5w30 and a 10w30 will be about the same "thickness." It's only at temps approaching zero where a 5w30 is going to get to the top end faster than a 10w30 if we are comparing basically the same oils of different weights. A PAO based 10w30 will probably flow faster than a conventional 5w30 in the cold.

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 2003 Mach 1 (4.6 DOHC) and around here it can reach zero in the winter a lot...it seems to get to the top end with no noise from the engine and fast pressure rise.

Yeah, I agree with GMan. It's primarily a cold weather issue. Going 5w is helpful (if not mandatory) for frigid starts, while 10w-30 is often suggested for temps above 100F if I recall correctly.

Borderline pumping temp for Pennzoil 5w-30 is -31F.
Borderline pumping temp for Pennzoil 10w-30 is -22F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back