Motorcraft Silicone Gasket Remover

Hello All,

I have been looking for an effective chemical gasket remover for an upcoming rear main seal job on a Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar, so I can get away with only using plastic gasket scrapers that pose no risk to the aluminum sealing surfaces. The upper and lower oil pans are sealed with Mopar 3-bond engine sealant, but it doesn't look like Mopar sells a gasket remover product. In researching the commercially available gasket removers that work on RTV type sealants, the Motorcraft ZC-30-A seems to get the most positive reviews compared to others like the Permatex RTV dissolver. Does anyone know whether the Motorcraft ZC-30-A would be effective on the Mopar 3 bond sealant? I am also open to other suggestions for a product that may work better in this application.

Last edited:
It works, but works slowly. You still need to remove the large pieces first, then use the product in conjunction with plastic razor blades.

I agree with atikovi.. a toothbrush sized brass or SS brush does about 90 percent of the work after you carefully remove the large bits. I use a couple of different sizes of carbide "Super Scrapers". If you're very careful you can scrape the majority of rtv residue, then follow up with a brush and remover

It works, but works slowly. You still need to remove the large pieces first, then use the product in conjunction with plastic razor blades.
How long does it take to soften the gasket material? Would these plastic scrapers in conjunction with the ZC-30-A be sufficient to clean and prep the mating surfaces?

How long does it take to soften the gasket material? Would these plastic scrapers in conjunction with the ZC-30-A be sufficient to clean and prep the mating surfaces?

Probably 10-15 min. But it will require many applications.

I usually use these (or similar): https://a.co/d/eNu2mue

Probably 10-15 min. But it will require many applications.

I usually use these (or similar): https://a.co/d/eNu2mue
Will the ZC-30-A penetrate and start to soften the 3 Bond if sprayed at the interface while the pan is still bolted up to the block? I have watched a couple videos of this job, and one guy in particular was really struggling to break the pan loose even when using a prybar at the provided pry points. Looking for the easiest way to remove the oil pan without causing too much struggle or potential of damage.

Last edited:
Will the ZC-30-A penetrate and start to soften the 3 Bond if sprayed at the interface while the pan is still bolted up to the block? I have watched a couple videos of this job, and one guy in particular was really struggling to break the pan loose even when using a prybar at the provided pry points. Looking for the easiest way to remove the oil pan without causing too much struggle or potential of damage.
No.

Back