motorcraft quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be missing something but the fl1a is rated 80% at 20 microns and the purolator l30001 is 96.5% at 20 microns. Why does everybody like motorcraft so much?

A poster here recently posted saying that his inside information says/shows the MC's are really ~92% @ 20um. However, afaik there is no published data on MC efficiency other than the spec you posted (80%@20um). As said though, the published figure could well be a minimum rating.
21.gif

All that said, MC are a well made filter, generally at a value price. They also seem to work especially well in the FoMoCo vehicles for which they are designed.

Motorcraft are cheap at walmart $3.67 each currently. Don't forget about the bypass location difference. As a long time Purolator user I'll take the Motorcraft version.

I use Motorcraft filters from WM @ $3.67 on both my truck and my wife's Tribute. I used Purolator filters and had some startup noise but changed to Motorcraft and all is quiet now. Good filter for the price. No problems going 5k miles on OCI.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
A poster here recently posted saying that his inside information says/shows the MC's are really ~92% @ 20um. However, afaik there is no published data on MC efficiency other than the spec you posted (80%@20um). As said though, the published figure could well be a minimum rating.
21.gif

Yes, the whole Motorcraft "published efficiency" issue has been discussed more than once. It baffles me why Ford doesn't publish the real numbers if they are better than "80% @ 20 microns". They are doing themselves a disservice IMO if the filters are better than that, but they don't advertise as such.
crazy.gif

Thread end bypass, availability, made by Purolator, oversized for my application, Silicon ADBV for my application, ~$3.xx.

The filter is good enough. Oil filters are the least important filter on the engine. The airfilter is the most important for those who don't know. The most important thing about an oil filter is that the filter holds together.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The filter is good enough. Oil filters are the least important filter on the engine. The air filter is the most important for those who don't know. The most important thing about an oil filter is that the filter holds together.

I agree. Air filter is more important than oil filter on the engine.

21.gif

All that said, MC are a well made filter, generally at a value price. They also seem to work especially well in the FoMoCo vehicles for which they are designed.

Not really inside information. Purolator engineering claims the media is provided to them by Ford. Not far fetched, I've seen Ford/Motorcraft oil filter advertisements/studies going back 50+ yrs and Ford has always created their own filter media. It is apparently a synthetic/cellulose blend and according to Purolator tests, it has an efficiency of ~92% @ 20 um (multipass). The media on the MC is thicker than the P1 but allows greater flow. Everywhere you look, the MC is designed for Fords with the key advantage of the MC being the location of the relief valve. As far as Ford's are concerned, the MC oil filter really is as good as it gets since it truly is designed/engineered specifically for each Ford application.

price, quality and FLOW!
its great to have a filter that is 99% but the flow suffers no matter what anyone says......i would by far want a filter that has the best flow and secondly the filteration
if i have a choice i would like dirty oil to get to the moving parts rather than no oil...

We rebuild hundreds of engines each year and i have been doing it since i was a kid (family owned business) i have been rebuilding and now owning this engine shop for over 20 years and again dirty oil is better than none at all

Originally Posted By: modularv8
21.gif

Not really inside information.

From my experience it is. I called Ford, I called Motorcraft ... and all they could tell me (they were obviously reading from someplace) was that their filters were rated at 80% @ 20 microns. If the real efficiency isn't insider info from the eyes of the consumer, I don't know what is.
lol.gif

Quote:
Not really inside information......
Not to get into semantics, it's second/third etc..hand information that is not published. Afaik, there is only one published rating, that which the OP posted. So if not inside info, then non published information which is what my post went on to explain.

Also, not all MC oil filters have thread end bypass, though it appears most do. And, not all the applications are readily available from places like Wally or Advance. Those that are, like the FL820-S and some others are value priced. Others have to be obtained from places like the dealer at their price.

Again, MC's are a well made filter, that are made/designed to meet FoMoCo specs.

Quote:
Not really inside information......
Not to get into semantics, it's second/third etc..hand information that is not published. Afaik, there is only one published rating, that which the OP posted. So if not inside info, then non published information which is what my post went on to explain.

Also, not all MC oil filters have thread end bypass, though it appears most do. And, not all the applications are readily available from places like Wally or Advance. Those that are, like the FL820-S and some others are value priced. Others have to be obtained from places like the dealer at their price.

Again, MC's are a well made filter, that are made/designed to meet FoMoCo specs.

You are correct on all counts. What I meant to say is that I know Purolator has performed flow/beta tests on Motorcraft filters and I believe Purolator is forthcoming about this information if requested.

i have 3 fords that i take to car shows, the motorcraft Oil Filter is 1 point in judging

94 SHO
66 Mustang
06 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back