Motorcraft oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil is spec'ed out by Ford and then bidded out to various companies. Lowest bidder wins. Historically, whom ever had made the oil, it's been a good oil and has held up very well in UOA's.

Um...wasn't it established that Conoco/Phillips makes Mo'craft?
dunno.gif

In the U.S. Motorcraft oil is, indeed, formulated, blended, and bottled by ConocoPhillips. I think someone posted that, in Canada, Petro-Canada is the guilty party. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

I must confess I don’t know much about motor oil. My Grandfather who is 84 by the way says motor oil is motor oil. I don’t think that is a true statement. I have done research and found a lot of opinions synthetic are better than dino, this oil is better than that oil. So I’m just trying to get opinion on a product before I try it my self. I drive a 2000 Grand Marques and use Mobil1 synthetic 5W-20 since I drive a Ford I did research on Motorcraft oil (since it is cheaper than Mobil 1) The only information I was not able to find was who manufactured the oil for Ford. Even after contacting Ford directly via e-mail and telephone I was unable to find the information out as to the manufacture until the posts from bighead.

Thank you all

The main thing is deciding which viscosity grade to go with; once you do that, picking out a brand is the easy part. I would say if your weather is above 60F, you could run 5W-30 in that 4.6 with no problems; maybe even 10W-30.

Actually, if your engine is in good working order, then you could run 5w-20 year round without worry. Your OCI might dictate which oil to choose. If you're doing 5K or less then you are throwing money down the drain using M1. On the other hand, if you're doing 10K drains then you might be stretching the Motorcraft too far. Either way, both are excellent (especially in that grade) and will keep your engine well protected. Personally, I'd use the Motorcraft oil AND filter and change it every 5K (of course that depends on your driving habits as well...)
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Speaking of Motor Craft oil, does anyone know where to get the jugs of 15w40 Power Stroke diesel oil other than the dealer in the Maryland area?

Thanks

There use to be a tractor/farm supply place in either Beltsville or Laurel (somewhere along US 1). I bet they would carry it or order it for you. I'm sorry I don't remember more. Scan the yellow pages.

Like the others I agree that Conoco/Phillips makes it. I use it in my 06 FX4 F-150 with great use so far from MC oil and filters. I sent my first UOA to blackstone a couple of days ago will kepp you informed with the results.

I was down at the local Esso bulk distributor in my city buying some Mercon V today. They had a page posted on thier office bulletin board which listed the brands that Esso supplies in Canada. All Motorcraft and Mopar engine oils were listed (including 5W20) and Motorcraft transmission fluids were listed. Indeed, the bottles (packaging) of Esso Mercon V that I bought today were identical to Motorcraft Mercon V that I bought at the dealer last year (compared them when I got home). Only the labels were different. Dealer price was $5.80 per litre, Esso price was around $3.75, for probably exactly the same transmission oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back