Motorcraft FL820S cut open Date code: 904121217

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
I just cut open two FL500s filter and they looked OK. Still kinda wide spacing at the joint. In any event the truck has a Wix filter now.

The FL500S is a different design and may not have issues.

Seems their quality has slipped. I ran one for 15,372 miles, 10,020 miles, and 7,480 miles with no issues whatsoever. However, after experiencing 3 tears in a Purolator PL-10241 I became concerned about the overall quality and now that others have posted tears in many Purolator made filters, my concerns seem to be validated. I have quite a few MCs for my Powerstroke and luckily the OCs are 5K or less or those would hit eBay.

I am thinking they will go 5K also but not more than that. The power stroke might stress the filter a bit more than the SOHC 4L V6.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
I am thinking they will go 5K also but not more than that. The power stroke might stress the filter a bit more than the SOHC 4L V6.
I would think the Powerstroke filter is a little bit better made then the smaller MC filters-but when the Ultra equivalent for the 7.3 is the same price at Auto Zone as the MC FL-1995 ($9.99), it's a no-brainer. Now, for a 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 cartridge application, use the Motorcraft. I just bought a car that uses the FL-820S (an '03 Grand Marquis with the 4.6), I'm not going to risk using the MCs in it, Purolator/Mann & Hummel has shown they can't be trusted to make a decent filter in their USA plant, & don't care about problems their junk may cause.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would think the Powerstroke filter is a little bit better made then the smaller MC filters-but when the Ultra equivalent for the 7.3 is the same price at Auto Zone as the MC FL-1995 ($9.99), it's a no-brainer. Now, for a 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 cartridge application, use the Motorcraft. I just bought a car that uses the FL-820S (an '03 Grand Marquis with the 4.6), I'm not going to risk using the MCs in it, Purolator/Mann & Hummel has shown they can't be trusted to make a decent filter in their USA plant, & don't care about problems their junk may cause.
I was not overly impressed with the quality of the MC FL-2051s after 4,600 miles on my PSD. I certainly will not use them past 5K and once they are gone, I will not buy any more. The string (which did not remain in place so it did nothing to support the media) is a throwback from long ago and I prefer the security of wire backed media.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I was not overly impressed with the quality of the MC FL-2051s after 4,600 miles on my PSD. I certainly will not use them past 5K and once they are gone, I will not buy any more. The string (which did not remain in place so it did nothing to support the media) is a throwback from long ago and I prefer the security of wire backed media.
Does Fram make an Ultra for the newer Powerstrokes? I just know (from my departed 6.0 company van) that the VIOC guys usually used MC or Wix on it, & that some off brand cartridges were too long, causing bad things to happen (I never saw them take off a crushed one in 250K miles, though).

Does Fram make an Ultra for the newer Powerstrokes? I just know (from my departed 6.0 company van) that the VIOC guys usually used MC or Wix on it, & that some off brand cartridges were too long, causing bad things to happen (I never saw them take off a crushed one in 250K miles, though).
No, not yet or that would be my go to filter. I have some Carquest Blues, Clarcors, and WIX (all of which are wire backed) to use after the MCs.

Too bad, I cut two open tonight that were from my CVPI and both have the 8 inlet holes to the bypass and even pleat spacing with no tearing or flattening.
I also have a 3rd element from one that is good, but I scrapped the can already, so no date code.
Ill cut The one on it when I get it off as well. Might switch to Fram Ultras.

Colt45ws,

You may have the evidence the problem is fixed. If so, that is good news.

I assume that is for the Crown Vic in your sig line.

Yeah, I forgot to take pictures because Im helping my Mom with my Grandpa atm, but when I get back home I will, along with pics of the can dates. I had intended to let the elements drain for a day before taking pics and didn't get to it before I left.
Yeah, they came off my CVPI.

Last edited:
I would submit that a CVPI would put more stress on a filter than a regular consumer edition. At least on the high RPM side of things. I will be looking for your cut & posts. I remember a fishing trip my uncle and father took us on Kootenay Lake in BC.

Kindly list the specific engine "problems" they have caused.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Kindly list the specific engine "problems" they have caused.

HerrStig,

This argument does not work for me. When I purchase a product, I expect the product to function correctly throughout the life of the product. In the case of this Motorcraft FL-820S, it tore in two places and allowed dirt to circulate throughout the engine. In my view the filter did not perform it's intended function for the full service interval. I cut a relatively new filter less than 90 days old and found rust on the inlet and outlet side of the filter as well as wide spaced pleats near the splice. As a result, I finally went through about a 5 month period of cleaning the engine with short OCI. None of those filters tore but then they did not come close to filling to capacity.

In this case the torn filter did not grenade the engine but then it also did not do the engine any good.

Until proven otherwise, the Motorcraft FL-820S has some manufacturing quality control issues that have not been resolved.

If Motorcraft thinks they have resolved these issues, they can PM me with what changes they have made and how that addresses these issues. Motorcraft should replace their defective product(s).

The FL-820S does not represent what the Motorcraft videos depict regarding Motorcraft oil filters.

WellOiled - the only defense the 'tearofans' use these days is that a torn filter "didn't blow-up your engine". For some reason they don't understand that people don't like using an oil filter that tears for many of the same reasons you spoke of above.

I guess if tearing oil filters were the only choice, then people would be forced to use them, but obviously there are literally dozens of other good, if not better, filter alternatives to go with. So most sane people have naturally steered away from the questionable quality filers to ones that still prove they are worth using.

I really would like to know what Motorcraft thinks about their products quality which is based on their vendor's (Purolator) manufacturing process.

ZeeOSix - I could not have stated this better than you did.

People should also understand that I am not trying to slander Motorcraft or Purolator in any way. They are American icons that I would like to see restored. As to why Purolator quality is sometimes poor, I do not know. As a more and more educated consumer, I have moved on. There are dozens of better choices.

When someone does not believe the cut & posts, I have to shake my head.

Your sig line says it all. "A filter's brand name doesn't matter ... what's inside does."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back