Motorcraft FL820S cut open 2k miles

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
IF It were to happen to his engine, it would be the VERY 1st failure from an 820S.
All l see is a few arm chair QB's just being in denial (not the river in Egypt)

Have you verified that every engine in the world hasn't had an issue from a failed oil filter, any brand? 820S are filters that fail, so pose the same risk as any other filter that fails. Even Ford Tech Talk video says a torn oil filter can cause problems to Ford engines, and show why. I'm sure you've seen that video posted here a few times.

Would you use any brand of filter besides Motorcraft if you knew they have a tendency to fail?

I have used Pure 1 oil filters in the past. And, bought Purolator Classic filters for my sons Corolla.
21.gif

If I actually come across a torn media I well DEFINITELY post it here.
I will be cutting the 820S MC filter that is removed from my sons 5.4 this weekend. Please don't be upset if the media is not torn.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
If I actually come across a torn media I well DEFINITELY post it here.
I will be cutting the 820S MC filter that is removed from my sons 5.4 this weekend. Please don't be upset if the media is not torn.

Is it true that only Singer Sewing Machines have aftermarket attachments to mend torn Motorcraft and Purolator fiber media?

In all seriousness, your allegiance and patronage to these products - despite knowing the obvious tearing problems, is outstanding.

For God's sake. I dont check the forum for a few days and come back to a bunch of people arguing over a $4 oil filter that wasn't even theirs. For the person who asked. The oil was Quaker state high mileage 5W30. Also the filter was cut apart with an oil filter cutter, not butchered apart. The end cap pulled right off. When it was assembled of course it would have had pressure from the spring inside the filter so likely a non issue but still. I highly doubt my engine would ever fail from a defective oil filter as long as it was getting oil. The engine is spotlessly clean inside and runs and sounds like brand new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Not only that the wide open bottom of the pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base where there essentially no other destruction except the tear.

Let me get this straight, so a tear at the bottom of a pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base. A tear is a tear ... and Ford Tech is saying any "destruction" of the filter (which would include torn media) can cause issues in the motor. Critical thinking seems to be a quickly fleeting thing these days.

If only the seam comes loose in a very small area, then no fibers running around the engine type-issue? A small opening then increases flow?

This has been going on for almost 10 years. Purolator doing nothing to fix the issue. So to them, it's really no issue. Is there thousands of documented cases where engines were replaced or repaired, due to fibers flying around the engine and creating harm?

Much documented proof of glass fiber residue from oil filters causing excessive engine wear.
Donaldson has many pages on this from way back. Do you know how abrasive glass fibers are?
Only a fool company would not fix a crucial flaw in a product for years. Must be new age marketing.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Not only that the wide open bottom of the pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base where there essentially no other destruction except the tear.

Let me get this straight, so a tear at the bottom of a pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base. A tear is a tear ... and Ford Tech is saying any "destruction" of the filter (which would include torn media) can cause issues in the motor. Critical thinking seems to be a quickly fleeting thing these days.

If only the seam comes loose in a very small area, then no fibers running around the engine type-issue? A small opening then increases flow?

This has been going on for almost 10 years. Purolator doing nothing to fix the issue. So to them, it's really no issue. Is there thousands of documented cases where engines were replaced or repaired, due to fibers flying around the engine and creating harm?

Much documented proof of glass fiber residue from oil filters causing excessive engine wear.
Donaldson has many pages on this from way back. Do you know how abrasive glass fibers are?
Only a fool company would not fix a crucial flaw in a product for years. Must be new age marketing.

Can you please post some of these many pages? It should make for some good reading. (YAWN)

Still making junk filters, no surprise! It's been 5 years now, you'd think quality control would have stepped up by now at MannHummel! But clearly, they just don't care. I'll never run a M+H product on anything I own ever because of how negligent the company has been towards quality control and customer satisfaction.
My first FL820S failure had a date code of 904121217. Birthdate would be April 12, 2012. I used up my FL820S stash on short oil changes to keep them from tearing.
I used WIX 51372, Fram TG2, Champ PH820 and AC Delco PF1250 all without issue since then. It looks like Motor Craft’s quality of FL820S has not improved since 2012.

I have stopped using 820's and began using TG2's. These 820's must be made in another factory. Very unimpressive. with those wide wavy pleats and the metal end plate which tend to come loose.The other Motorcraft models ( FL1A, 500S and 400's) have very good construction.
I service a police fleet and have found a few of the 500s to be torn as well

Back