Motorcraft FL-910s cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Motorcraft FL-910s filter I removed from a family friend's 2009 Ford Escape with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. The filter was in use for 5,000 miles with PYB 5w20.

photo_1.jpg

At first glance the media looks pretty good.

photo_1_1.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Then I found this near the crimped area...

photo_2.jpg

I tried to spread the pleats a bit with my finger to show the torn area since my iphone takes terrible close-up photos.

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

I've cut open two filters today, and both of them were Purolator products that had torn media (the other was the PureOne in my other thread). This is the result of sloppy manufacturing. I thought that the Motorcrafts had glued seams not metal crimps, but this one apparently has a crimp. Not sure if that is now the standard across the board or they always had crimped seams on the Motorcrafts. I'll have to check my other threads. I've used these filters on family and friends' vehicles and various lawn equipment. Until the quality improves I will be taking my business elsewhere. This is unacceptable.

What have you done man!? This is going to open up a whole can of worms, its the end of everything as we know it!

On a serious note, this is a real shame
frown.gif
I am pretty sure this is the first reported motorcraft failure.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm very disappointed in this one. I've used these filters for a while on both cars and lawn equipment and they have looked great each time. I figured they were the best filter for the money at the time. Now I'd rather not risk it especially when using them on other people's stuff.

Last edited:
Wow this will set the BITOG world on its head.

Again, still looks acceptable for the OCI it was used. Seriously splitting hairs here over a tear in the media that you had to shove your thumb into to the pleat to find.

The first MC I've seen with any issues.. I still plan on running a FL-910S on my wife's Vibe next oil change.

Another Purolator/MC/Bosch tear. How many people have opened up two and seen both of them torn? Seems the odds of that are like winning the lottery jackpot twice in one day.

OH GOD !! NO MORE MC oil filter for me
frown.gif
, I love their ADBV, look like Im going back to wix ( never heard wix having problem )

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Again, still looks acceptable for the OCI it was used. Seriously splitting hairs here over a tear in the media that you had to shove your thumb into to the pleat to find.

I have to disagree with the splitting hairs part.. the tear is plenty big enough to let a particle into my engine that I do NOT want floating around. I don't care what brand the product is, I'll give my money to the company whose filters are not tearing, wither it be FRAM, WIX, or OEM.

Another thing to consider, while I am not positive it works this way with a oil filter, in a pressurized system.. liquids will typically flow through the path of least resistance, when these tears open up and are under pressure how much stuff is getting washed into your crank bearings/rod bearings/camshaft bearings and lobes.

Last edited:
Ok, now we can not recommend Motorcraft filters, not surprised. Ill keep using Fram. Yawn.

It is the second bad Motocraft I have seen. I think mine was more likely a factory defect than a failure though. Both of the Motocrafts I cut open had glued seams. The one with the hole was by the seam.

So you are ok with running a torn filter in your engine?

Well, I don't use MC but I've run plenty of P1 and Purolator classics over the years along with the Bosch Distance +....all from the same stock. I've not had any oil related issues and when I opened up oil filters, which I do rarely, I've never found a tear in the filter fiber.

I do however, use a HD Filter Mag along with an over-sized filter. Fram OCOD, Classic, P1, M1 extended performance, K&N, Wix, Napa Gold filters are all part of my stash.

Many times, in the case of M1, K&N or Bosch D+ oil filters I've run them for 2 OCI's but always with the over-sized filter and the HD Racing Filter Mag.

I'm not concerned about soft metals getting through in by-pass mode or with a tear in the filter media....the Filter Mag will catch and hold the hard metals....Iron and Steel till the filter is changed. The hard metals are my primary concern and I feel confident that the Magnetic Force is taking care of business when oil enters the filter from the engine.

I put my thumb in there to help show where the tear was since I was using an iphone which as you can see takes terrible pictures. I have to work with what I got. The tear is more noticeable in person.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Another Purolator/MC/Bosch tear. How many people have opened up two and seen both of them torn? Seems the odds of that are like winning the lottery jackpot twice in one day.

Yeah not a good lottery though, haha. I had a feeling the PureOne might have been torn before I took it off, but given my past experience with perfect looking Motorcrafts this one really took me by surprise.

OK, so... let's freak out about the fact that the Fram Ultra says "> 20 microns," but a hole in a Purolator that will let something 1000 microns in size through is OK. Have I got this right?

Went back and looked closer at a MC910s that l pulled off my 2012 Fusion 2.5 l4 that had been run for 8k. Everything looked good but my filter had a glued seam and not the metal crimp. MC doesn't have any production date codes so have no idea when it was made. Sorry to see these problems starting to show up in the MC filters.
Bet Ford would like to know about it. DD

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
Went back and looked closer at a MC910s that l pulled off my 2012 Fusion 2.5 l4 that had been run for 8k. Everything looked good but my filter had a glued seam and not the metal crimp. MC doesn't have any production date codes so have no idea when it was made. Sorry to see these problems starting to show up in the MC filters.
Bet Ford would like to know about it. DD

Thanks for the info about the glued seam. I'm thinking that is a major part of the problem with this filter, and why it is different from the other Motorcrafts I've cut open.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Does this mean that we must now be programmed to not use MC filters anymore?
Affirmative. The Collective has decided to avoid oil filters that bust open. It is futile to resist.

Aren't MotorCraps made by Purolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back