Motorcraft "Dark Green" Coolant Replacing G05?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to a strange obsession with coolant I noticed that Ford is going away from GO5 to a new coolant on some models (Fusion for one). This new "dark green" coolant looks like it might be similar to whats in my Corolla. Does anybody know the motivation for Ford to switch away from G05? I'm just curious since I have been toying with the idea of standardizing on G05 in my own cars.

Ford Coolant Chart

FORD WSS M97B55 A:2008
Engineering Material Specification - Coolant Concentrate, Phosphated Organic Acid (poat) Silicate, Borate And Triethanolamine Free

The mazda can't be had in concentrated form and its expensive. I wouldn't mind the green...as this pale yellow color is a [censored] to see in my coolant tank.

That said, I have a good deal of G-05 laying around, so I doubt my current car will ever see anything but.

It seems to me Silicates are dropping from most OEM coolant formulas. G-05 is low silicate, but they are still there....perhaps some engineering changes required the removal of silicates. All I know is, I won't switch to anything else unless its been proven like G-05.

If Ford's going Mazda spec, looks like Honda owners can benefit too from this - if Ashland decides to bottle it for aftermarket use.

Now if only another automaker can widely adopt Toyota's pink HOAT...

Last edited:
If the Motorcraft "dark green" is available in concentrate I might consider it as another candidate for standardization.

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Clatter
If the Motorcraft "dark green" is available in concentrate I might consider it as another candidate for standardization.

Mazda's coolant is really designed for aluminum engines, like most Japanese coolants. For cast-iron blocks I would still prefer G-05 for the silicates.

I would really like to see the MSDS for "Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant"; it is not even mentioned in the coolant product list at the Motorcraft web site. See

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/dealer/category.asp?select=[A/C%20and%20Engine%20Cooling%20Products]

It looks suspiciously like a Japanese HOAT akin to Mazda FL22 or Honda/Toyota/Nissan super long life coolants, which are all manufactured by CCI.

umm, it is FL22....

There are a couple other threads floating around about this.

that page is not updated as often as internal pages.

it is FL22, the ford number, VC-10A currently updates to a Mazda part number which is magically the same mazda part number as FL-22.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Originally Posted By: Diesel_Clatter

Mazda's coolant is really designed for aluminum engines, like most Japanese coolants. For cast-iron blocks I would still prefer G-05 for the silicates.

This is still interesting to me since I have an ION and Corolla which are both all aluminum. Why would Ford switch away from G05 to the Mazda coolant in the Fusion if they did not feel it had some benefit over G05 for the all aluminum engine?

Did you say this is only available in premix like Toyota pink?

They might have been waiting for a reason to redesign water pumps for none silicate coolants...this coolant may have given them that reason.
Other than that, I don't know. It might have something to do with the light color of G-05 causing customer issues, or maybe they can get the green stuff for a better price, or perhaps make more money because no aftermarket alternative exists.

Ford is currently run by bean counters, so any change is most likely due to a fiscal reason. Considering there were absolutely no serious issues with G-05, then I would speculate it is because they can get the mazda stuff for cheap...especially if both mazda and them are using it.

Its really funny each car mfg has their own coolant. Who would have thought there would be so many differences in coolant, especially considering most engines now are very similar.

Probably exists because there are quite a few sources for GO-5/Premium Gold,some dealers are even selling it for $10/gallon full strength. The Japanese-only coolants are "dealer only"=much more $$$

I presume that Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant is pre-mixed in a 55/45 (coolant/water) ratio just like FL22. Any idea if it is available from Ford dealers for less than $15.45/gallon (the going rate for FL22).

I found more confirmation that Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant is Mazda FL22 (or something very similar). The following web page is an order form for a copy of Ford standard WSS-M97B55-A for Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant:

https://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?productID=1096287

The form includes a one sentence description of the standard, which unequivocally establishes that Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant is based on Japanese coolant technology. Ford states that WSS-M97B55-A identifies a "POAT" (phosphated organic acid technology) coolant that is silicate, borate, and triethanolamine free.

Like I said, I think us Honda and Toyota guys will finally have another coolant option if this does hit the aftermarket - Toyota calls for a phosphated HOAT in all of their 2003+ cars, and Honda wants a silicate and hexanoic acid-free coolant.

Its a shame it doesn't come in concentrate.

For now I think I will stick with my G05 plans. I just called the local Ford dealer and they are selling the Motorcraft gold for 11.99/Gallon which is cheaper than the local drugstore which has a few ancient bottles of Zerex G05 on the shelves.

This has been a very informative thread -- Thanks guys, for all the useful tips. I am a dedicated G-05 user for my autos, but have several Japanese motorcycles and now I have some alternatives for coolant in those too.

Japanese motorcycles always come with dark green coolant and I'm sure is must be a POAT coolant similar to Mazda FL22.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Japanese motorcycles always come with dark green coolant and I'm sure is must be a POAT coolant similar to Mazda FL22.

Honda Type-II blue/green
Nissan OEM
Toyota Super Long Life pink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back