Motorcraft 5w30 blend

Price at local Walmart is almost $23/5qt of Motorcraft Syn blend 5w30. I’d like to use it in my 21 Mustang GT but I can’t justify spending $23 on it when Quaker state FS is $21, Pennzoil Platinum FS is $24, and Valvoline FS is $22… I’ve been running Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. I get it’s just oil, but there’s something about using Motorcraft oil in a Ford I guess 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Ford's smoking rocks. Most I'd pay for it is $16 a jug and that's very generous considering ST syn was $15 and advanced syn was $17. As long as the oil has the ford wss spec the owners manual says to have and you keep receipts ford can realistically do nothing to blame your oil choice. But even then they usually just check the oil level and cleanliness of the inside and stop there. And even if a full syn doesn't it's still not bad oil, just doesn't have the spec on it.

When I ran Motorcraft 5w-20 almost all the way down on the IOLM and tested, I got good wear numbers, on a little more than 8K, but it it was also clear that the oil was just about shot.

I expect that you could safely squeeze a couple more thousand miles on the syn. If you also save a couple of bucks, why not?

I would religiously take it to Quicklane, during the warrant period, but that’s mostly because I am rotten at keeping records.

Price at local Walmart is almost $23/5qt of Motorcraft Syn blend 5w30. I’d like to use it in my 21 Mustang GT but I can’t justify spending $23 on it when Quaker state FS is $21, Pennzoil Platinum FS is $24, and Valvoline FS is $22… I’ve been running Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. I get it’s just oil, but there’s something about using Motorcraft oil in a Ford I guess 🤷‍♂️
6 qt. container of Havoline FS 5W30 at WM is $19.97. Semi synthetic is $16.77. Both are SIX QUARTS!

6 qt. container of Havoline FS 5W30 at WM is $19.97. Semi synthetic is $16.77. Both are SIX QUARTS!

Yep, what he said. My Ford works just fine on the LifeLong 5W30, although, if it doesn't come back in stock come next change it is getting High Mileage 5W30 which I have 4 of sitting here since both Honda's are coming up on change time and the LifeLong has been out of stock at the stores and online.

In the early to mid 2000s MC Synblend was a very good value oil at WM, especially so in the 5w20 viscosity. It was one of the few at the time.

Now, too many full synthetic oils at the same price or less to make it a realistic option. At least, for me.

Last edited:
I used the Motorcraft Syn blend in my F-150 for years and it's **** good oil. Only problem is Motorcraft has to get their cut so last oil change I switched to PP.

I'm also tempted by using Motorcraft in my Ford, but there's always a major-brand full synthetic oil on the shelf next to it for cheaper. Not to mention, I never see any rebates sales or promotions on it. It's up to $23 at my local Walmart.

When I ran Motorcraft 5w-20 almost all the way down on the IOLM and tested, I got good wear numbers, on a little more than 8K, but it it was also clear that the oil was just about shot.
This has been my experience with the synthetic blend 5w-20 and 5w-30 as well. In my 2.0L EB, the 5w-30 is done at 4-5K (out of grade).

I'm currently running the 5w-30 full synthetic in the Escape just out of curiosity.

The oil is fine, just doesn't seem to be very robust and there are better options that are cheaper.

Lots of people use 5W-30 full synthetic oil (not Motorcraft) in their Coyote and seem to like it better.

3 Hemi's at 7 quarts, a vette takes 10 quarts. called the price to play !! Funny how this is a issue ??

Oddly, a very similar new thread about not using PUP was just closed by @M56959 because "Making a topic about not using a brand of oil helps no one." Not sure why this thread is any different? Just trying to understand the rules.

Oddly, a very similar new thread about not using PUP was just closed by @M56959 because "Making a topic about not using a brand of oil helps no one." Not sure why this thread is any different? Just trying to understand the rules.
You’ll get an accurate response by sending a PM with your question.

Back