Motorcraft 5W20 - Underrated? Overlooked?

Originally Posted By: max88
There is statistic bias in the topic favoruing motocraft and Ford. This observation/question is on a Ford dealership service adviser who has seen more Ford with motocraft than any other combination. No doubt this stands out as the number 1.

Had the same question been asked at any other brand service counter, there is always a number 1 combination.

I don't agree with that at all. If you or I had access to the motor oil buying habits of all Ford owners, I would be surprised if Motorcraft oils would be over 25 - 30% of their shopping lists. Reasons are a) the Motorcraft oil brand is a small percent of all oils at major retailers such as WalMart, AutoZone and other retailers where oil is purchased. B) It is not widely advertised and C) It is not on the lips of the average motor oil buyer.

Even though I asked the question at the Ford dealership, I would bet, the typical person has been using Pennzoil, a WalMart Super Tech brand, or whatever was easy to get their hands on. If my wife were the buyer, she would wouldn't give what brand 5W20 she used, a second thought.

So, if someone with a very high odometer mileage was using Pennzoil, Valvoline, or even Mobil 1, I would think that fact would enter the conversation - even at a Ford dealership.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Originally Posted By: max88
There is statistic bias in the topic favoruing motocraft and Ford. This observation/question is on a Ford dealership service adviser who has seen more Ford with motocraft than any other combination. No doubt this stands out as the number 1.

Had the same question been asked at any other brand service counter, there is always a number 1 combination.

I don't agree with that at all. If you or I had access to the motor oil buying habits of all Ford owners, I would be surprised if Motorcraft oils would be over 25 - 30% of their shopping lists. Reasons are a) the Motorcraft oil brand is a small percent of all oils at major retailers such as WalMart, AutoZone and other retailers where oil is purchased. B) It is not widely advertised and C) It is not on the lips of the average motor oil buyer.

Even though I asked the question at the Ford dealership, I would bet, the typical person has been using Pennzoil, a WalMart Super Tech brand, or whatever was easy to get their hands on. If my wife were the buyer, she would wouldn't give what brand 5W20 she used, a second thought.

So, if someone with a very high odometer mileage was using Pennzoil, Valvoline, or even Mobil 1, I would think that fact would enter the conversation - even at a Ford dealership.

The percentage of Ford owners using Motorcraft is almost certainly higher than the percentage of any other mainstream brand's owners using an OE branded oil. When is the last time you saw AC Delco oil on the shelf at Wal-Mart? Sure, compared to other brands of oil Motorcraft's overall sales are small because people think "it's only for Fords," and as you stated, it's not marketed. It's as widely available as an auto manufacturer branded oil gets though.

It IS a great oil. But so are many others. It isn't the key to high miles so much as 1) the vehicle receiving thorough maintenance (not just engine oil every 3K), 2) other major things not totaling the vehicle (suspension problems, transmission problems, electronics problems, ignoring a mechanical problem like loss of coolant, etc.), 3) lots of highway driving, and 4) dumb luck and owner's willingness to keep it going.

I have driven nothing but Fords for decades. Several 4 cyl, one V8, one V6, and two 4 cyl diesels in the 80's. Never had a bad engine. The V6 had 354K, one Tempo gas with 250K+, and others with high miles. Never had an engine problem except both diesels I replaced the head gaskets. Oil used, M1 at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
IMO, Conoco-Phillips, the maker of Motorcraft oil, is the one of the most underrated refiners. They also give us the sleeper oils of TropArtic and Kendall and their Phillips 66 gasoline, sold cheaper than other brands in this area, is Top Tier.

+1 here. And don't forget its 76 Super brand that is available regionally, like the Southeast.

Motorcraft 5w-20 was a great bargain not too long ago when Walmart sold it for about $12 a jug. Now not so much. And I would highly doubt that its synthetic content is 50%. Still a nice choice, especially from Ford dealers in their OC specials.

I used Motorcraft 5w20 exclusively in my 03 Focus and 05 Mazda6. When I bought those cars new years ago, and when I was a lurker on this site, Motorcraft was recommended as a good economic syn blend back then. I drove both cars in a broad range of outdoor temps for over 100K miles each without any issues. The nice thing was that it was readily availability at Wally World (as were Motorcraft filters for both cars). Initially, WW was one of the few places I could get a cartridge filters (oem Motorcraft filters at that) for the Mazda6. The last time I looked Motorcraft 5w20 was running around $17.00 a jug.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It IS a great oil. But so are many others.

Exactly. If I was going to run a syn-blend in my Ford it would be Motorcraft. But for a tiny bit more I can run M1. I will point out that Motorcraft 5W-20 SynBlend has unimpressive NOACK. Interestingly the above PQIA VI doesn't match the published PDS.

OT, but I was at Wallyworld tonight.

Looks like Castrol Edge Black is on rollback to $21.66 again.

I can see PP and M1 following suit soon to maintain market share.

But they did have MC and even MC HDEO in 5 quart jugs.

Sams club has Trop Artic 5w-30 in a 12 bottle case for $26 dollars. They seem to be seasonal oils. They stock the 5w-20 and 30 in the winter with the 10w-30 in the summer. Actually they have all the weights but not all the time. Wish they made a 10w-40.

slomo

On my most recent trip to my local Ford dealer (for routine maintenance), I asked the counter service advisor, the following question:

"What was the greatest odometer mileage of a 4 cylinder Ford that they see come into their dealership, for routine maintenance?" The answer, surprised me a bit. He said, "that's easy, we have a courier parts running, Ford Ranger that comes in on a regular basis with over 750,000 miles on it. We also have a woman who comes in regularly with an older Ford Focus with between 500,000 - 600,000 miles. The body is starting to fall apart, but the engine is still running strong. Both come in for Motorcraft 5W20 Blend." I was surprised, mostly, because most of us don't think of either of those vehicles for likely candidates to see that kind of odometer mileage. Maybe a handful of Toyotas or Hondas, but not Rangers or Focus. When I looked at the Ford Focus forum, the person with the highest odometer mileage in a survey, responded to me that he used "only" the dealer sourced Motorcraft oil. He lives around Toronto and had 400,000 miles on a 2001 Focus Zetec.

That statement made me initially think, "duh, well all the vehicles that come in for Motorcraft Blend." Upon thinking about it, those mileage figures are impressive for any vehicle, or motor oil, much less, a low dollar motor oil. Maybe real world experience trumps the UOA's that we are so quick to argue about. On one of the Ford F150 forums, I dug up the following quote from one of the members, from a few years back:

"Motorcraft oil 5W20 will have for a base, an acid washed white Gp III base oil that is extremely pure. According to the techs I have spoken with, it's about 50% synthetic base blended oil. In the formulation you'll find averages 80 ppm moly which comes into play on parts where the temps exceed 305F. That would be like cylinder walls, pistons, etc. It makes a major difference in the life of an engine and is a fabulous thing to have in the formulation. You'll find boron averages at 230 ppms. Boron is a multifunction additive in that it is a detergent and a friction modifier. Oils using boron are going to provide better engine life and better fuel mileages. Motorcraft, I'm hearing now is using a splash of nano-borates. While I haven't personally seen it, and it certainly isn't going to flash out in spectroscopy, if it's there, it's like the titanium in other oils. It brings more lubricity to the oil. You'll also find the newer magnesiums in Motorcraft oils. These are used as a detergent, but primary use is to stabilize the base over longer periods. It doesn't take much of it to work. Amsoil is now using it so they can get their extended drain intervals. Amsoil is using about 15 ppms and Motorcraft is at 10 average. It's been long suspected that Ford is subsidizing the Motorcraft oils. I can believe it. For the price you are paying and the value of the components in the bottle, it's a major bargain. It shows some of the lowest wear metals in spectroscopy and is built to go the recommended distances that are in the current owners manuals. You can certainly pay more for an oil but it's doubtful that it will equal Motorcraft. Yeah, it's really that good."

On this forum a couple of years back, ModularV8, came to the same conclusion. He mentioned how 1) Ford is consistently, one of the worlds top R&D spenders, year in and year out & and that Ford is said to be "subsidizing" this oil. 2) the non standard Boro nitrides used, and the 3) purity of this "group II/II+ or group III" of the base oil involved. Sounds like a motor oil that is "sand bagging it." More to it, that is on the surface.

I will also add, Google the "hero F150 engine" on Youtube. It makes a strong argument for using Motorcraft blend, after that Ecoboost engine was tortured and disassembled for the world to see at the Detroit auto show. Makes me wonder if the engine was designed for the motor oil, or the motor oil was formulated for the EcoBoost?Or does it really matter?

Personally, I'm driving a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, with 111,000 miles on the clock. Has had Motorcraft 5W20 Blend, every 5,000 miles as a former government car, for the first 60,000 miles. At which point, I've been depleting my stash of Motorcraft 5W20 FULL synthetic every 6,000 miles or so. No consumption over those intervals. I've been averaging a bit higher than most Ford hybrids: 40 mpg in winter, 47-49 in summer. 80% highway driving. I don't know if the oil is a factor, but it hasn't hurt, that I can see. Stash is almost gone. Going back to Motorcraft, when it was $11 for a 5 qt jug was a no brainer. However, I'm moving on to Mobil 1 0W20 next. Am I making a long term mistake? I hope to reach 400,000 miles one day.

Happy New Year!

Comments? What say you about the previous statements?
Thanks for this.....I learned ALot!

This there is always another Full Synthetic just as good available for sale. I never seen Motorcraft oil on sale at WM to often not on the shelf and never have seen a Motorcraft rebate!
At my Wal Mart this morning there was more ST, Edge, Magnatec and M1

No royal purple either 🤣

Only Motorcraft oil I saw was HDEO 15w40

We use Motorcraft in all of our Ford vehicles and have for years. IMO, it's a good oil and we have never had any issues running it. I could care less what it costs compared to other oils.

I have a friend who put over 400K on his 98 chevy truck using Trop Artic which is made by Conoco Phillips as well and I ran it in my 98 chevy truck until they went to the Shield which I now use.

For light-duty vehicles doing 5000 mile OCIs every 2 months, it does not matter what oil as long as it meets the spec. I would say 90% of the very high mileage vehicles we hear about have been driven tons of miles fairly early in their life, before the rest of the car has a chance to fall apart.

Back