Motorcraft 5W-20, 2003 Expedition, 5.4L, 4928 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I have done on my 2003 Expedition with the 5.4L engine. Oil used was Motorcraft 5W-20, 4928 miles on the oil and 23,343 miles on the truck. I have used the MC oil since new including MC oil filters. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Miles were 50/50 highway and city.

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 2
Lead 1
Tin 0
Moly 37
Nickel 1
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potasium 0
Boron 1459
Silicon 16
Sodium 4
Calcium 2288
Magnesium 9
Phosphorus 646
Zinc 754
Barium 0

Sub Viscosity @210F = 51.7
Flashpoint 365
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Fuel Insolubles .3

Wear metals are within reason. Silicon seems a bit high for this many accumulated engine miles. Better check the air filter and the post filter plumbing. Flashpoint is way lower than it should be for a syn-blend. Does this truck see much idling or city driving? If not, something's suspect with fuel metering.

Ray H,
Unfortunately living in the Atlanta region pretty much dictates endless traffic. In my case that includes a great deal of short trips, less than 5 miles, and idling waiting for the never ending traffic.

Agree with Ray. But your wear metals are really good and next time, try to make an effort to take a sample after a long a drive as possible.

Al,
I guess that would make sense. Unfortunately the sample was taken on cold oil after a short trip as this was the only time I had to get the oil change done.

There is nothing wrong with your UOA. The Motorcraft 5W-20 oil holds up great in the 5,000 mile range with these modular engines. I had a recent UOA done this past Sept in my 4.6 and the UOA was similar to your's. Except your's was a bit better in the silicon and wear metal area. Your Boron was real high, in a good sort of way, compared to mine. I think the wear and silicon comes from the less than good sealing airfilter assembly of these modular engines. I'd have NO problems to continue using this oil as you've done.

Whimsey

You guys are correct, a typo on my part, it should read 145.

A quick question. How important is the flashpoint number in comparison to the wear metals? I would think the wear metals are the most important number, am I correct in saying this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back