Motor oil as a CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree +1. My tests were on handguns and old-school hunting rifles.
I like the very-first-ever CLP too..... Ballistol.

Motor oils and ATFs just plain stink. I wouldn't use either and threw away my trial blend, 24 hours after I made it. I wouldn't accept a free lifetime offer of either one for use on guns. Not to mention they are both toxic also.

The smell is much worse than either Hoppes #9 cleaner or Ballistol, which isn't like the chemical-smell of Hoppes, but more like a medicinal smell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

I'm curious as well. How is ATF a better cleaner than motor oil?

Seriouisly, this is news? This is a 50-year old common practice and lots of threads on it all over. "Settled Science I think they call it.
wink.gif
. Look up the recipe for Ed's Red bore cleaner, for example.

There are MUCH better things than pure ATF for the job, but if you narrow the arguement down to which cleans better between the two, it's not confusing.

If it's a 50 year old practice, then you're saying that 50 year old ATF cleans better than 50 year old motor oil and I won't argue that point...

But are they relevant to the discussion?

Wouldn't newer formulations make the science worth examining again?

Did synthetic oils even exist 50 years ago? Perhaps for jet turbine aircraft applications, but not for automotive use. And even if they did, they were probably nothing compared to what's available today.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Did synthetic oils even exist 50 years ago? Perhaps for jet turbine aircraft applications, but not for automotive use. And even if they did, they were probably nothing compared to what's available today.
I used Steen C lube in my 1968 Yamaha. Syn has been around for commercial uses for 50 years easy.

Two thoughts to share :

1 - WD40 is not recommended as a gun lubricant. On a range I visited years ago they talked about a certain visitor who used WD40 for lubricating his 1911. Unknown to him the lubricant had become sticky. Something went horribly wrong in the disconnector, giving the regulars something to talk about, and a few holes in the roof to point at as well. A second less exciting case I saw personally was another 1911 where the trigger would not move. WD40 had stuck the trigger bar to the frame.

2 - I met someone many years ago at a bullseye match who used 10W30 mixed 50/50 with Hoppes #9 as a lubricant. He claimed that everything stayed really clean with his special mix. I think any light oil may have been just as effective considering how his elbow was acting as a witness point. Lucky that was before the line was paved. The sand soaked up all the special sauce.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: Ws6
I'll stick with SLIP 2000 EWL and similar products repacked for the task.

Fixed
smile.gif

I would add....or motocycle/racing ester based engine oil...

You keep thinking that. I've tried ester based engine oils. No go, here.

Originally Posted By: pbagley
WD40 is not recommended as a gun lubricant.

WD-40 was never meant to lubricate ANYTHING. It is meant to displace water from metal. This it does very well.

OK, I was for 20 minutes tonight going, [censored]? Then I realized I was baited. You men are cruel. Cruel I say!

Fixed
smile.gif

And what went wrong?

This past week, I went shooting at the Colorado State Patrol range in Golden, CO. Afterwards, I sat outside in the Colorado sun, with a nice gentle breeze blowing.

I cleaned my H&K with Hoppe's #9 in the bore, a bit of Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and nylon brush elsewhere, then used Hoppe's gun oil.

Call me crazy.

But using products for their intended purpose sure seemed to work well...

Fixed
smile.gif

And what went wrong?

Nothing went "wrong", per se, it just didn't remain wet and keep the carbon suspended nearly as well.

I've used Red Line 5w-30 as a CLP and it does well. It is actually a surprisingly good bore cleaner.

These days the only lubricant I use; especially on my AR's, is Lubriplate SFL-0. Midway sells and recomends it. Between a couple of friends and I (I built their rifles) we've got around 5,000 rounds through 6 different AR's using it, and I've been super impressed. Minimal wear to bolt carrier and receiver, easy clean-up and it doesn't attract dust. Win-win-win.

Originally Posted By: pbagley
Two thoughts to share :

1 - WD40 is not recommended as a gun lubricant. On a range I visited years ago they talked about a certain visitor who used WD40 for lubricating his 1911. Unknown to him the lubricant had become sticky. Something went horribly wrong in the disconnector, giving the regulars something to talk about, and a few holes in the roof to point at as well. A second less exciting case I saw personally was another 1911 where the trigger would not move. WD40 had stuck the trigger bar to the frame.

2 - I met someone many years ago at a bullseye match who used 10W30 mixed 50/50 with Hoppes #9 as a lubricant. He claimed that everything stayed really clean with his special mix. I think any light oil may have been just as effective considering how his elbow was acting as a witness point. Lucky that was before the line was paved. The sand soaked up all the special sauce.

The guy over at The Box 'O Truth has been using WD40 on his firearms for 50+ years with no ill effects.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-46-cleaning-and-lubricating-a-revolver/
http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-47-cleaning-a-semi-auto-pistol/

Originally Posted By: stchman
The guy over at The Box 'O Truth has been using WD40 on his firearms for 50+ years with no ill effects.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-46-cleaning-and-lubricating-a-revolver/

"I use so much WD-40 that I buy it by the gallon and use an old hand sprayer to apply it to the gun."

I do much the same. Except I pour it into a coffee can, and wash the gun with a paint brush. Then blow it dry with compressed air. Works like a champ, and smells better than Kerosene. I haven't had a "gummed up" gun in over 40 years.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
This past week, I went shooting at the Colorado State Patrol range in Golden, CO. Afterwards, I sat outside in the Colorado sun, with a nice gentle breeze blowing.
I cleaned my H&K with Hoppe's #9 in the bore, a bit of Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and nylon brush elsewhere, then used Hoppe's gun oil.

Call me crazy.

But using products for their intended purpose sure seemed to work well...

lol. Yea I like the Hoppe's Elite Foam. Also use Hoppe's Oil. Call me crazy also.

I'll stick by my recommendation. I have personally seen WD-40 become sticky over time.
There are other products I've had better luck with, especially when longer term storage may be involved.
YMMV, and all the best to you.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: stchman

"I use so much WD-40 that I buy it by the gallon and use an old hand sprayer to apply it to the gun."

I do much the same. Except I pour it into a coffee can, and wash the gun with a paint brush. Then blow it dry with compressed air. Works like a champ, and smells better than Kerosene. I haven't had a "gummed up" gun in over 40 years.

Who doesn't love a good gun cleaner/gun oil discussion?

I've used a lot of commercial gun cleaners, and also a lot of non-commercial gun cleaners as well as "traditional" things that aren't advertised as such but are common.

Many of the common cleaners are some sort of petroleum distillates(i.e. mineral spirits, naphtha) with some other stuff added in. Among the common ones, Hoppes #9 has isoamyl acetate(synthetic banana fragrance) and a small amount of ammonia to help dissolve copper fouling. Hoppes Benchrest #9(a bit harder to find) is loaded with ammonia and also-I think-has some glycerin or something similar to make it "clingy." I've found that it works well to clean heavy copper fouling, but my usual application method is to saturate a nylon brush, make a couple of passes, plug both ends of the barrel with a patch, and wait. A few hours later, you will push out a half dozen or more dark blue patches. If you can still see orange streaks in the rifling, apply again. I don't find Hoppes #9 to be particularly offensive(in fact I rather like the smell) but Benchrest #9 absolutely reeks. Most other dedicated copper cleaners have high ammonia or amine contents that make them equally vile, but they're really the only way to get heavy copper out without a lot of elbow grease.

WD-40 has some merit as a simple powder solvent. Its base is Stoddard's solvent-not a lot different from what's used in Hoppes and others-but it has a waxy component that tends to congeal and cause issues over time. If you spray some in a small, clear container and leave it overnight, you'll see what I'm talking about. Like most other light petroleum distillates, it can "creep" under lead fouling and help to loosen it, although you'll still need some mechanical action to actually remove lead(a snug bronze bronze brush, bronze wrapped in chore boy, a very tight patch, or even a stainless Tornado brush in extreme cases).

Someone mentioned jet fuel above. Jet A is actually pretty darn similar to kerosene although a lot more expensive. It actually makes a good cleaner for general powder fouling, but if you're going to use it get white kerosene at a gas station(~$4/gal or so the last time I bought some). I keep a 5 gallon can of kerosene in the garage for a multitude of uses. I use a kerosene heater in the winter to keep things tolerable. A kerosene lamp without a chimney and with the wick turned up high is-I've found-just the ticket to "smoke" a bullet mold(those of you who cast will know what I'm talking about). It's a cheap and effective degreaser in automotive applications where you don't necessarily need surfaces scrupulously clean, and also leaves some lingering rust protection.

Starter fluid-or at least what I'm familiar with-is primarily ethyl ether. In my time as a bench chemist and organic lab professor, I've handled enough of it that being around it very long gives me a headache and makes me physically ill. The flash point is extremely low, so be sure you keep things well ventilated and avoid any source of open flame. We have non-sparking light switches in labs at work for this reason(they're actually old enough to be mercury tilt switches). As the department safety officer, I've been called to ether fires more than once. The last one was actually quite spectacular-a student was boiling it in a beaker on an open hotplate and either the stirring motor in the plate sparked or there was some part of the plate that was over the auto-ignition temperature. In any case, I happened to be walking by and heard a "pop" followed by a couple of screams-I walked in and saw a fire ball about 8" in diameter and 2' tall on top of the hot plate. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the fire burned itself out in a minute or two, but once things had settled down and all the paperwork taken care of, both the teaching assistant in charge and the student got a serious talking to(I hauled the TA into the chair's office).

I've used a couple of different foaming bore cleaners. I've found many of them to be good on copper fouling. Most of the ones I've looked at use a largish amine to complex the copper. This has the side effect of also making them very "sticky". They really cut whatever [censored] is in the barrel, but in my experience cleaning up after them takes a fair bit of work also.

I'm a big fan of Ballistol(I still maintain that they should put Hickok45 on their payroll). It's more of a mineral oil, which makes it a decent all around CLP. One of the major additives is oil of anise, which gives it the distinctive licorice smell that folks either love or hate(I don't mind it personally). It also has something-I'm not sure what-that will dissolve light copper deposits. A few hours will give you green streaks on a patch, although don't expect it to work miracles on copper. Hoppes is better, and a dedicated copper solvent is even better than that. One place it really shines is as an emulsion with water("moose milk") that does one heck of a good job on black powder fouling as well as corrosive primer residue. As these are some of the most destructive things you can leave in a gun, I treat both with moose milk immediately. For black powder, I often take some to the range with me(especially on humid days) and swab the gun with it until patches come out clean before packing up. The gun, of course, gets a full disassembly and scrub down when I'm home.

I've used my fair share of 3-in-1 oil as a gun oil. I've found it to work great both as a lubricant and rust protector. Rust protection is important to me since most of my guns are traditional(hot blue) carbon steel with a few nickel carbon steel guns mixed in. Of course, I also have parkerized carbon steel, stainless steel and alloy, but the blue guns are my priority since they're the least tolerant of poor storage. They also look great with a fresh coat of oil on the barrel-particular a nice high polish Smith and Wesson.

Aside from that, I've tried a fair number of "gun oils" including Rem Oil and some sold under the Hoppe's brand name. Most I've been pretty neutral on-neither good or bad, but perfectly serviceable. I go back to 3-in-1 because-to me-it's hard to beat the smell of a gun cleaned with Hoppe's and oiled with 3-in-1. Fire off a few rounds of Unique and you have an unbeatable olfactory sensation.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Who doesn't love a good gun cleaner/gun oil discussion?
I've used my fair share of 3-in-1 oil as a gun oil. I've found it to work great both as a lubricant and rust protector. Rust protection is important to me since most of my guns are traditional(hot blue) carbon steel with a few nickel carbon steel guns mixed in. Of course, I also have parkerized carbon steel, stainless steel and alloy, but the blue guns are my priority since they're the least tolerant of poor storage. They also look great with a fresh coat of oil on the barrel-particular a nice high polish Smith and Wesson.

Aside from that, I've tried a fair number of "gun oils" including Rem Oil and some sold under the Hoppe's brand name. Most I've been pretty neutral on-neither good or bad, but perfectly serviceable. I go back to 3-in-1 because-to me-it's hard to beat the smell of a gun cleaned with Hoppe's and oiled with 3-in-1. Fire off a few rounds of Unique and you have an unbeatable olfactory sensation.

Much like WD-40, many people find that 3 in 1 gets a bit tacky if applied too heavily and left to sit for long. It is a pretty decent CLP though, much better than motor oil IMO.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Much like WD-40, many people find that 3 in 1 gets a bit tacky if applied too heavily and left to sit for long. It is a pretty decent CLP though, much better than motor oil IMO.

I won't argue that. I bought a 1920s S&W 38 M&P a while back where the cylinder would barely turn. It had the distinctive smell of 3-in-1 oil.

I had to give it a good soak(actually in 3-in-1) to free it up and then took the whole assembly(yoke, ejector star, etc) apart and gave them a good cleaning. The action also got stripped and cleaned.

Once back together, though, with some good oil on all the key spots as well as a dab of grease on the DA sear and rebound slide(somewhat unconventional, but I've found that grease on these sliding surfaces really slicks up the action) and it shoots just as sweetly as you'd expect a from a 1920s S&W.

Yes, the 3-in-1 did leave a mess for me to clean up. I don't know how long the gun had been dormant but given the family and the story with and condition of the oil I'd guess since the 1950s. The barrel is PERFECT-a tall order for a gun from the days of corrosive primers-and aside from some muzzle wear the outside looks pretty darn good. No doubt it had been stored well(it came to me in a cotton sock with a fair bit of congealed oil on it itself) but the 3-in-1 did a good job of keeping it in good shape for when I reawakened it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back