motor guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best system for cold weather would be a Motor Guard ATF filter used with a Perma-Cool or equivalent sandwich adapter. The ATF filter has an element bypass orifice. One stream of oil is being cleaned and the other stream of oil is heating up the oil filter. The ATF filter will only work with a two port sandwich adapter or for ATF. A larger orifice doesn't help much because most of the restriction is in the cold element. At one time you could buy an electric blanket for the depth filters. I didn't have any problems in the Idaho winters but I drove over 30 miles to work. The VW Beetle that I used most had no under hood heat to help warm the Motor Guard.
The M-30 ATF has a 1/8" bypass orifice. You can get a lot of oil thru the bypass orifice.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Ralph,

I like
smile.gif
your idea about using the Motor Guard M30 ATF filter as a bypass filter for COLD WEATHER.

It appears that the M30 ATF filter would heat up quicker IN ALL CONDITIONS --POSSIBLY BEING THE IDEAL BYPASS FILTER(for engine oil) for anyone that accumulates most of their mileage from short trips(less than 20 miles?)

It might work between the sandwich adapter(with one port plugged and a 1/2" hole drilled between the inlet and outlet port) and the oil pressure sender. Only a small amount of oil, relative to the overall flow(3 to 5gpm?) would be going through the M30 ATF filter and its 1/8" orifice. Most of it would be going thru the ff filter(or its bypass).

What about heating up *too* much? Some vehicles (trucks to cars to motorcycles) run their oil very hot. I've personally seen oil in excess of 275F and sometimes well over that in some vehicles. How hot is too hot?

"What about heating up to much...How hot is too hot?"

If you are asking if using the M30 ATF bypass filter will work if the oil reaches 275F or higher then this appears to be a question for Ralph.

This is from Ralph's website:

"MG-30-AFT : The ATF model has a 1/8" element bypass orifice internally...The ATF model is also very good for motor oil when using a Permacool sandwich adapter because in cold weather the filter heats up faster"

My large Fleetguard housings come from the factory with an element bypass orifice but it is only about 1/32". It serves two purposes. It bleeds air from the top of the housing so that the filter will fill up plus it keeps a small amount of oil flowing at cold temperature. I don't think it would be an issue because the element is so large. I have to weld the bypass orifice shut and drill out the main orifice when converting them to a one pass fuel filter. I think I kind of understand what you are doing but I haven't tried it. You are converting the two port adapter to a one port adapter which is an excellent pressure point. What gets complicated is returning the oil to the engine so that you don't get a parasitic loss. For the ATF filter to work it has to have enough flow to overcome the resistance of the 1/8" bypass orifice and keep oil going thru the element. Personally I would use both ports of the sandwich adapter. You could then hook up the Motor Guard the same as an oil cooler. You could even add an oil cooler in series with the filter.
I would use 3/8" or larger hose. I have a Cummins Industrial engine at work that I use a sandwich adapter drilled 7/32". The filter heats up fast. I put a magnetic thermometer on the oil pan. When the coolant temperature is 160 degrees F the oil in the pan is over 200 F. Oil needs to be at least 135 F in a gas engine and 150 F in a diesel. Fuel contamination evaporates from clean oil easily at that temperature.
Dirty oil tends to hold fuel in like a sponge. If you could keep your oil temperature under 180 F your seals would last a lot longer, your oil would oxidize less and look better on the dipstick using submicronic filtration. Auto makers don't build any more cooling system than they can get away with. Running a high oil temperature serves no purpose. ATF is even more critical. My ATF cooler is so large that it transfers cool to the coolant instead of the coolant transfering heat to the ATF. I don't see any way for the ATF filter to work unless you use both ports of the sandwich adapter.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back