Motor flush for a previously neglected engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another question for you. The next door neighbor just bought a 2005 Toyota Tacoma V6 to commute to work in. It has about 180,000 miles and it doesn't appear that it was well taken care of by the previous owner. Under the oil cap looks a little crusty but it runs very good.

You think an engine flush is a good idea or no?

run a high mileage oil on a couple short OCI's (like <2k) with a standard filter to clean it out. Once you've done that then just go with a high mileage oil and standard OCI's (probably 5k for that vehicle). I've used Maxlife in the past and liked the results.

Go for it. Motor flush, short OCI with added MMO or Riselone, repeat as necessary. It will be purring like a kitten in 6 months.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Until you pull the valve cover you really do not know the engine condition. I would not suggest an engine flush as there is always some risk the flush will loosen up too much crud at once and plug an oil drain passage. Slowly remove crud is the best way.

I would choose a synthetic oil (maybe Walmart) and run that for 4K-5K.

Then a better grade of synthetic for 5K to 7K.

If the oil get dirty very quickly then maybe change the oil filter once in the middle of the first OCI.

I have used 1/2 bottle of the motor flush, idle for 5 minutes, then normal oil change. No ill effects. I have used MMO for the last couple hundred miles before an oil change. No ill effects. Let use know what your neighbor does and if it works. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Go for it. Motor flush, short OCI with added MMO or Riselone, repeat as necessary. It will be purring like a kitten in 6 months.
thumbsup2.gif

There is a reason why no car or engine manufacturer recommends or makes an engine flush.

You turn some harmless unsightly buildup into killing the engine if the flush actually works. You don't want to wash chunks into the small drain holes.

Originally Posted By: Rand
There is a reason why no car or engine manufacturer recommends or makes an engine flush.

You turn some harmless unsightly buildup into killing the engine if the flush actually works. You don't want to wash chunks into the small drain holes.

Agreed. The only way to clean an engine is to take it apart.

I would save the money on the flush and use a quality conventional/ blend at 3k intervals. Does his commute entail highway miles? That's the best thing he can do for it IMO. Cleaning an engine is a slow process.

PYB/ Pennzoil HM (my favorites detergent wise.)
Valvoline Maxlife
MS5K
Quaker State Defy

No commercial engine flush. You don't want to shock but slowly clean it.

Use something like Rislone Engine Treatment and change oil with 500 mile OCI's until oil starts to show a cleaner engine.

Originally Posted By: garyb80
Here is another question for you. The next door neighbor just bought a 2005 Toyota Tacoma V6 to commute to work in. It has about 180,000 miles and it doesn't appear that it was well taken care of by the previous owner. Under the oil cap looks a little crusty but it runs very good.

Toyota may have a baffle under the oil cap so what you see may not be actual engine.

Use half bottle Rislone Engine Treatment for short oil changes for the next several OCI to slowly clean up the engine if it really has sludge.

I wouldn't use any engine flush additives. If they've been using mineral oil the entire life of the car,I'd just keep on using what they've been using.

Consider looking at the cooling system, too. And Don't forget a fuel filter(s), an air cleaner and P/S fluid while looking at the tranny and diff.

The engine is at 180k miles and you're worried that it was neglected? I think I'm missing something.

OP, also notice that only newer members, those who don't know any better, and those who like to live life on the edge will recommend a chemical flush.

Unless you have a verifiable problem that needs solving, choose a good oil and filter and change it at an appropriate interval. Don't over-complicate the matter...

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: jk_636
thumbsup2.gif

This is possible, but the question is how probable it is. OP you have to decide for yourself which side of the isle you fall on. You will hear people on this forum fight for both sides of the argument.

I happen to own an '05 4.0 Tacoma, since new. Over maintained, with 5k OCIs, M1, 100k miles. I never thought to look down the oil filler.....So I just went out and took a peek.

The oil cap is mounted on a black plastic tube, about 8" long. When I look down this, I see the cam chain. Mine is clean as a whistle, but I don't think it is a place or materials that would form sludge or varnish.

So......Have you looked at this motor, or are you just jumping to conclusions? Looking under the oil cap will tell you exactly nothing, with this motor. Just sayin'.

I have no knowledge of your relationship with your neighbor but I would say use nothing and leave the neighbors car alone. If anything happens to it in the process of cleaning it may be a great way to create friction with your neighbor.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair

I have no knowledge of your relationship with your neighbor but I would say use nothing and leave the neighbors car alone. If anything happens to it in the process of cleaning it may be a great way to create friction with your neighbor.
49.gif

You are absolutely correct. Something I didn't consider. I think this is the course of action I'll follow.

You are absolutely correct. Something I didn't consider. I think this is the course of action I'll follow.

I just read this thread and couldn't help but think of the show "Fear Thy Neighbor" on ID ....wise choice you made and we got to read good tips of cleaning sludge on our own cars!!
smile.gif

Last edited:
As I understand it, the Tacoma has a plastic fill tube and filler cap that doesn't heat up like the the motor, and is subject to a crusty or gooey appearance. It's what's under there that matters. Just clean the cap and tube (pretty sure it comes off) if you like and wipe the goo when you change the oil.

Quote:
Unless you have a verifiable problem that needs solving, choose a good oil and filter and change it at an appropriate interval. Don't over-complicate the matter...

YES!

What you can do is assist him in draining and renewing all the fluids in that vehicle. Nothing weird, just new fluids that meet the original specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back