Motomaster OEPlus MOPH/MOCH Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen much about these written or discussed. While I was at my local CrankyTred aka CanadianTire I looked into these and brought one home.

The numbers are mostly Fram based but have a twist.

MOPH****: is used for the can filters, basically MoFram!

MOCH****: is used for the cartridge filters.

It can make things fun when searching. The selection covers the popular filters right now, so they don't cover the full range. I wanted a 4386, but they only have the 3614 as the closest equivalent.

I looked at the PH3600 and PH2870a, and the base plates and cans were identical. The 3614 was shorter obviously.

The base plates had a a pattern I hadn't seen before, 8 relatively large, holes with a 'AA' stamped in it and the hole edges are burr free. It's a louvered tube, and all three filters I looked at were clean and open. The silicone ADBV is quite substantial looking but probably blocks 30-40% of each hole. The grip end has concave grip surfaces, 15 of them along the top, much easier to grip than flats.

The specs CT gives are generic but here they be:

- Up to 99% Efficiency
- 16,000 KM lifespan
- Meet or exceed the OEM specs
- Durable steel shell, painted matte black.
- Synthetic blend filter media.
- Silicone anti-drainback valve.
- High strength steel base plate.
- Synthetic and conventional oil type compatible.
- Premium oil filter type.
- Made in the USA

I don't really recognize the filter, or I'd add some of those lovely specifications like actual efficiency, flow, bypass, etc.

I picked up a MOPH2870A the size specifications are... weird...

Height: 2.75"(6.99cm)
Depth: 1.35"(3.63cm)
Width: 2.75"(6.99cm)

The width is uhh... hmm... the box is square on the end and rectangular on the side, so tall and skinny not... I'll measure in a bit.

Pictures: I apologize for the potato quality of my phone camera...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope this helps demystify this Canada only variant a bit.

Hopefully the media and the bypass is good... I really do need to get myself a filter cutter one of these days.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I want to put this on my car. I'd like to see the filter element after 15000-20000 km. Cutting a new filter makes little sense unless you are scared to use it.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
I am not sure if I want to put this on my car. I'd like to see the filter element after 15000-20000 km. Cutting a new filter makes little sense unless you are scared to use it.

Well it's $10CAD, and it seems to swing squarely at the Fram Tough Guard, which CT sells at $13.

Do I actually put it on a freshly rebuilt engine that's not strictly stock anymore... I could run it for a bit I suppose and see how it holds up. It wouldn't be for that long, as it's designed for 16K on a factory engine. I'm not sure I want to trust it either to be honest.

Edwardh1... I wonder if it's just using an off the shelf filter media from whomever makes it?

Last edited:
I ran out of edit time!

I quickly measured this MOPH2870A with a tape measure.

(H) 11cm/4.33" x (D) 7.2cm/2.83"

In comparison the Fram TG2870A:

(H) 12.50cm/4.92" x (D) 7.57cm/2.98"

So it's definitely a bit more compact.

Hard to say whether or not it can be trusted, but it does look to be a decent effort on the part of Canadian Tire. Their pricing across the board for filters is pretty appalling, though. I've actually never purchased an oil filter from Canadian Tire in my life, and that's the reason. When I'm getting Wix under $10, I don't see a need to spend $10 to $13 for something comparable on the Canadian Tire shelf. When I can get Baldwin for under $5, and that's from Ackland's, of all places, Canadian Tire's done before they started.

Originally Posted by Garak
Hard to say whether or not it can be trusted, but it does look to be a decent effort on the part of Canadian Tire. Their pricing across the board for filters is pretty appalling, though. I've actually never purchased an oil filter from Canadian Tire in my life, and that's the reason. When I'm getting Wix under $10, I don't see a need to spend $10 to $13 for something comparable on the Canadian Tire shelf. When I can get Baldwin for under $5, and that's from Ackland's, of all places, Canadian Tire's done before they started.

This Moto is $10 and like the TG takes aim square at the Wix/Napa Golds.

The FU XG is what I usually nab if I need one because I don't have stock and almost always on sale. The Wix for $10 gets thumped because 1 x $15($13 on sale) FU can replace the Wix twice. $5 in my pocket.

Man, I should really hit up Acklands when I need to get some restock. $5 Baldwins are nothing to sneeze at.

Though for the average Joe who shops at CT, this could be a very good option, if the local CT had them anywhere customers could see them... LoL

I'll likely put it on the engine and romp around on it for a month or so. That should be good enough to test it well enough?

I'll cry if it blows up and takes my fresh hand built motor down.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I took another look at the filter baseplate and I noticed a problem. The ADBV isn't centered and there's a bit of a gap.

[Linked Image]

Use it or return it?

The base plate and gasket look very similar to Purolator Boss

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
The base plate and gasket look very similar to Purolator Boss

Except the BOSS uses a two piece base plate.

I went digging and even the marketing wankery Champ uses in their PDF flyer for the XL is similar. The CGI break apart also looks a lot like the OEPlus filter and the graphics on the box match

PDF: http://champfiltration.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ChampXL_Flyer.pdf

This filter is likely a black painted PH561XL

Forum thread with some info...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4604994/Champ_XL_Oil_Filters

Looks like 10,000Miles, 99% at 20 microns, 8grams of dirt and dome end bypass.

Hunted it down on Champlabs site... Also the only place that seems to show the business end of an XL.

Link: https://www.champlabs.com/single-product/?partnumber=PH561XL&id=20022

Yeah, that's source filter.

Last edited:
So the filter is on, and I've ordered a Blackstone kit. Who wants to donate to getting the full meal deal done on this filter for the tests?
27.gif

Engine is done it's initial break in, so it's getting switched from 10w30 to Castrol Edge 0w40 or 5w40. I have a jug of 5w40 and a few of 0w40. Think the 0w is made in Belgium.

Figure this is a good shake down for the filter, as it's a rather rough environment, engine breaking in, lots of rpm, and I'm still fine tuning the fuel and ignition. There's no rollers anywhere in this thing, it's all flat sliding surfaces.
09.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21
This Moto is $10 and like the TG takes aim square at the Wix/Napa Golds.

The FU XG is what I usually nab if I need one because I don't have stock and almost always on sale. The Wix for $10 gets thumped because 1 x $15($13 on sale) FU can replace the Wix twice. $5 in my pocket.

Man, I should really hit up Acklands when I need to get some restock. $5 Baldwins are nothing to sneeze at.

The Wix for my F-150 is actually $4.99, but the G37 around $8 give or take. I'd have to take a look to be certain. At Acklands, the walk in price is better than what's actually posted online. $5 Baldwins are very nice!

Looks most like a Champ Labs US made filter to my eye. That includes yellow date code lettering and format. Baseplate that wraps around plate ends. Initials indented/imprinted on baseplate, in this case AA, sometimes it's a Y. Louvered centertube. And similar visible external spring dome bypass design used on 'some' Champ Labs filters. The 6607 Moto equivalent has been posted here before by member sir1900*. That one uses the same common blue button dome bypass used on the Champ made 6607 including the Super Tech.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ew-motomaster-oe-plus-filter-canada-only

Sayjac, yeah it looks like a Champion. Still no idea what the media looks like. Yeah the 2870a is supposed to be around 30psi for bypass, but the Fram edition is 22psi.

It's been pressed into service, so we'll see how it shakes down. Hopefully it does well... lol

Originally Posted by FastLane
I've been subscribing to Amazon Fram Ultra filters. Canadian tire is always so expensive for oil filters.

Amazon does have some skookum deals on FUs. Think I might go there, free shipping on Prime is handy.

Well for the update, just changed the oil, drained the 10w30 Conventional QS HM with break in additive.

Swapped for some older Castrol Edge 5w40, with 2oz of break in add.

The valve train is a lot quieter at start up. I had an Amsoil EaO filter on there, the equivalent of the XG16. The break in additive is the Redline stuff. I also left the magnets off for this run, and I'm dying inside.

So far, it seems to be working well. Threaded on easily, and no leaks. The oil warning light switches off instantly after start up, so the ADBV is working out of the gate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back