Motomaster European formula no longer seems to have MB-Approval

VW and MB approvals are not open-ended. They have expiration dates, or used to. I had a copy of a couple letters that were dated around 2015. They were very specific as to product, specifications met, and expiration date. The dates were not the same.

With the realities of production forecasting, changing labels every time one spec from one OEM may expire or be renewed isn't practical or cost effective. Consequently you may see "formulated for" or "meets or exceeds" instead of "certified." A product may be identical to one that was certified under the same specs, but has not yet been re-certified for whatever reason. That leads to the language you see here.

Where I live, to win a lawsuit over language on an oil bottle, one must prove to have been damaged. As my buddy from Brooklyn says, good luck wit dat.

VW and MB approvals are not open-ended. They have expiration dates, or used to. I had a copy of a couple letters that were dated around 2015. They were very specific as to product, specifications met, and expiration date. The dates were not the same.

With the realities of production forecasting, changing labels every time one spec from one OEM may expire or be renewed isn't practical or cost effective. Consequently you may see "formulated for" or "meets or exceeds" instead of "certified." A product may be identical to one that was certified under the same specs, but has not yet been re-certified for whatever reason. That leads to the language you see here.

Where I live, to win a lawsuit over language on an oil bottle, one must prove to have been damaged. As my buddy from Brooklyn says, good luck wit dat.

As I've already posted on extensively, meets or exceeds is the proper language for certain approvals. Other approvals require different language, which I've given examples of.

Fugetaboutit. :)

As I've already posted on extensively, meets or exceeds is the proper language for certain approvals. Other approvals require different language, which I've given examples of.
I've seen some of your posts. I thought giving some reasoning behind it may help those who obsess over it.

Speaking of language, virtually no one re-bottles, re-labels, or re-packages oil. That oil was destined to be what the label says before it was blended. Are some identical oils packaged or sold as bulk as different brands? I have first hand knowledge the answer is yes. But I don't believe it is as extensive as some think.

I've seen some of your posts. I thought giving some reasoning behind it may help those who obsess over it.

Speaking of language, virtually no one re-bottles, re-labels, or re-packages oil. That oil was destined to be what the label says before it was blended. Are some identical oils packaged or sold as bulk as different brands? I have first hand knowledge the answer is yes. But I don't believe it is as extensive as some think.

Yep, I would agree on that. Where I do see some evidence that certain oils are identical are ones that are "store brands" that share a DEXOS license number and come from the same 3rd party blender, but how common are these in the big scheme of things? I think that's where your point resonates.

“ Formulated to meet or exceed” is the term for Pennzoil and “Meets or Exceeds” is the term Shell used for the Motomaster product. In both cases it’s equal to or better than an official MB approval. If anyone wants to dispute that, better call the lawyers. ;)
Whatever helps you to sleep at night 😄

aha guys i'm not concerned and ultimately I don't actually care, i'm just curious about pointless and random things at times.

I know language regarding approvals and such can get very fuzzy with oils, but again, I only bring up this "MB xxx.xx" versus "MB-Approval xxx.xx" because it clearly says it on the bevo website, see below

1.jpg

Straight from the bevo site
  1. "which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz."
so once, again, regardless of what it says on the back of the bottle, aka "meets, exceeds, formulated by, blah blah"... if it says "MB-Approval" then in theory, it should be actually certified, approved, or whatever you want to call it, by Mercedes themselves...hence why I brought up the language side of things, and surprised that if motomaster is using the "MB-Approval" on their bottles, then why it wouldn't show up on the bevo site

so once, again, regardless of what it says on the back of the bottle, aka "meets, exceeds, formulated by, blah blah"... if it says "MB-Approval" then in theory, it should be actually certified, approved, or whatever you want to call it, by Mercedes themselves...hence why I brought up the language side of things, and surprised that if motomaster is using the "MB-Approval" on their bottles, then why it wouldn't show up on the bevo site
That's a mystery, yes.

Interestingly, if you do look up MotoMaster on the Shell EPC site, you only get three results:
MotoMaster Synthetic High Mileage 0w-20: https://www.epc.shell.com/documentRequest.asp?type=TDS&documentId=160723617
MotoMaster Synthetic High Mileage 5w-20: https://www.epc.shell.com/documentRequest.asp?type=TDS&documentId=160723636
MotoMaster Synthetic High Mileage 5w-30: https://www.epc.shell.com/documentRequest.asp?type=TDS&documentId=160723655

Which would lead one to perhaps theorize that these are the only products blended specifically for Canadian Tire and that other products are potentially re-bottles in order to carry over the approvals the formulas have already obtained, like the Euro 0w-30.

I expect a query to either Canadian Tire or Shell might answer that question.

Back