Most things in California is bad, but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost of living in California especially in cities along the beaches are very high, insurance of anything is not cheap, but one thing Californians love to have is stable property tax. The basic rate is 1% plus some small fees about 0.1-0.2% of the property value.

The Proposition 13 limit the maximum a property can increase a year to 2%, so the property tax an owner can expect to pay for next year is no more than 2% than this year, if inflation is more than 2%. If inflation of any year is less than 2% then the property value will increase only that much.If a person bought his/her house 10 years ago for $300,000, the first year property tax would be about $3,000. That property can be valued at $500,000 now, but for property tax purpose it is calculate at around 22% more than $300,000(compounding 2% increase per year).

Comparing the property tax of other states and/or other cities an owner may see their tax increase more than 5-10%, even up to 20-25% or more a year.

Quote:
Chicago property tax bill double whammy: Increases plus an assessment hike

Anne McDermott had braced herself for a big increase in the property taxes on her Near South Side town home, but when she opened the bill last month, she was still taken aback.

She'd figured a boost of maybe $550 on the $4,214 she paid last year. That's a jump of about 13 percent, the average increase on Chicago property tax bills for 2016. But McDermott's bill went up by nearly $1,360 — more than 32 percent.

It was the result of being hit with a double whammy: Not only were huge tax hikes by City Hall and Chicago Public Schools taking effect, but the taxman came as he does every three years and reassessed the value of McDermott's home. And he concluded it was worth a whopping 31 percent more

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local...0731-story.html

The housing costs in Cali are comparable to NY, so that part doesn't bother me. But NY/NJ property taxes are insane. You can easily pay $20,000/yr in taxes for a standard, not-so-great home. And sometimes it gets truly ludicrous. I looked at a few homes in one town north of the city, and the property taxes for 2013 (JUST the taxes) were over $500,000.00. On EVERY home in that town.

Originally Posted By: JennyHemi
The housing costs in Cali are comparable to NY, so that part doesn't bother me. But NY/NJ property taxes are insane. You can easily pay $20,000/yr in taxes for a standard, not-so-great home. And sometimes it gets truly ludicrous. I looked at a few homes in one town north of the city, and the property taxes for 2013 (JUST the taxes) were over $500,000.00. On EVERY home in that town.

....and the roads are a disaster despite the high taxes....shame on Gov. Cuomo

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The property tax at my house is something like $1400 a year, not going to complain at all.

FWIW Zillow estimates my house to be worth $928,275 currently.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: JennyHemi

....and the roads are a disaster despite the high taxes....shame on Gov. Cuomo

Truth.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Who cares how "cheap" property tax is when the housing itself is so overpriced!!!

This is "low-end" housing here: $515k 1/1 637 sq ft https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Barbara/872-Highland-Dr-93109/unit-4/home/21597802

I'll pay 10% property tax on a $150k house - no problem!
$515,00 for that? That is insane!

For half a mill, they should give you effing STAIRS, ffs!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Who cares how "cheap" property tax is when the housing itself is so overpriced!!!

This is "low-end" housing here: $515k 1/1 637 sq ft https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Barbara/872-Highland-Dr-93109/unit-4/home/21597802

I'll pay 10% property tax on a $150k house - no problem!

In Florida, you can get a brand new, custom built home, 6 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 5000 square feet, pool, 3 car garage, on 3 acres, for that kind of money.

This is why property ownership is a myth in the USA! You will never actually OWN property in this country because the government has a permanent tax lien! The lien is based on an assessment made by the government and you are taxed whether or not you sell the property.

The government is always telling us that we must plan our own financial future. They say this while at the same time increasing property taxes to a value far beyond those when you first paid for the property. Tell me, Uncle Sam, how can we plan for that? Why should I pay a tax for something I have not sold, or pay a tax determined by something other than my purchase price?

The government taxes what I earn (income taxes). The government taxes what I purchase (sales taxes). The government taxes what I use (auto registration and special fuel taxes).

Though slightly off topic, I need to say it. Our fine government says we must always change with the times and learn new job skills and such. But at the same time our "system" always seeks out the cheapest labor and supply sources possible. The net result is that jobs are off shored and the unemployed find themselves working for a much smaller wage.

Okay fine. If that's the game, my "public servants" should have their pay adjusted accordingly. Government employees should have their wages pegged to the wages of the nations we have off shored our jobs too. Why should some government employee earn $280K a year (the city manager of Arroyo Grande, CA), when her counterpart in Mexico earns $12K a year? Government employees should not be immune to the issues of the "true working class".

And speaking of California, CALPERS, the government employee pension is seriously underwater. Underwater by billions! There WILL be a shortfall in available funds to pay CALPERS retirement benefits. But no worries! CALPERS quickly pointed out that the CA taxpayer is bound by law to make up the difference.

So, let me get this right. I'm going to get about $2400/mo from Social Security at age 66. My government worker friend (a regular old city worker) retired at 55 and got a pension of $88K/year. So, he gets $88K/year at age 55. I get nothing because I worked in the private sector. My government worker friend (a "worker bee" with no college), will be paid $968K before I even begin to collect Social Security. And, if CALPERS has a shortfall, I have to make up the difference. If the government cannot pay my Social Security, tough luck. The government will come and take my home because I will not be able to pay my property taxes! That probably be the least of my worries though. I'll probably starve first.

Note to government - it will get very ugly in this scenario. Think clubs and torches.

Scott

$515,000 for something that looks like a tree house ???

Why live some place you can't afford to buy something reasonable 3-2-2 single family house.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Most things in California is bad?

I would think they are bad.

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

The new generation of home buyers are not benefiting for which prop 13 was originally drafted. It was drafted for the 70 year olds (back in 1978) who were being forced out of their homes due to ever escalating property taxes, and living on social security. The average price of admission to So. Cal is $400,00.00. It's much more if you want to live in a nicer upscale area.

Yep- that approximate 1.5% property tax is a real deal on a $750,00.00 to 1 million house. Then you have all the special assessments,mello roos taxes, lightning and landscaping districts, etc. There is much more than the 1 1/2% "property taxes".

So glad I cashed out of that crazy state 4 years ago.

It should be noted that Santa Barbara is a whole different market and is not representative of a typical real estate market.

Last edited:
That listing is in one of the most expensive areas of Calif. If you look at listings in the interior and more rural areas of the state the housing prices are much more reasonable.

Originally Posted By: CKN
The new generation of home buyers are not benefiting for which prop 13 was originally drafted. It was drafted for the 70 year olds (back in 1978) who were being forced out of their homes due to ever escalating property taxes, and living on social security. The average price of admission to So. Cal is $400,00.00. It's much more if you want to live in a nicer upscale area.

Yep- that approximate 1.5% property tax is a real deal on a $750,00.00 to 1 million house.

It should be noted that Santa Barbara is a whole different market and is not representative of a typical real estate market.

Proposition 13 started in late 70's, it benefits most homeowners since, the longer you own the house the more benefit you will receive.

I bought a 2800 sq ft house in Irvine in 1997 for $525k, a slightly smaller hose at around 2500 sq ft on same street sold to new owner in 2013 for $1.1M.

By 2013 my assessment was about $600k so my tax was a little more than $6k, the new owner of that house was paying $11k for slightly smaller house.

Yes, there were some owners who bought their house(on same street) around 1971-1972 for $70k had their property tax around $1k a year.

In cali the State Debt is so high that this can only last til just before the State tries to declare bankruptcy.
Most States are broke and getting broker bc of State Pensions. Hang on tight its gonna' get mighty ugly. In Pa we even are underwater by 62 billion and a particular party won't fix it bc their constituents are the State pensioners.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: CKN

Yep- that approximate 1.5% property tax is a real deal on a $750,00.00 to 1 million house.

Proposition 13 started in late 70's, it benefits most homeowners since, the longer you own the house the more benefit you will receive.

I bought a 2800 sq ft house in Irvine in 1997 for $525k, a slightly smaller hose at around 2500 sq ft on same street sold to new owner in 2013 for $1.1M.

By 2013 my assessment was about $600k so my tax was a little more than $6k, the new owner of that house was paying $11k for slightly smaller house.

Yes, there were some owners who bought their house(on same street) around 1971-1972 for $70k had their property tax around $1k a year.

True...but the "target" of Prop 13 were the retirees being forced out of their houses in the late 70's. Plus there are PLENTY of other itemized" taxes on your bill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back