Illinois residents check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read this and contact Chris or urge your Senator directly to get them to support SB2079!

We’ve Had Enough--Real Property Tax Reform

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

By Senator Chris Lauzen

I know of no other place in the Tax Code, other than property taxes, where unrealized capital gains are taxed. When stocks that you own increase in value, you do not pay tax until you sell. When a business that you own increases in value, you do not pay tax until you sell. However, when your home appreciates or increases in assessed value, you pay a higher priority tax every year even though you haven’t sold it and “realized” that gain.

As homeowners, why do we allow the government to tax us on property capital gains on our homes that we may never receive? I need your help to stop this practice and freeze assessments for all until you sell your home and buy a new one.

Constituents call and ask me, “Hey Chris, who owns my home?” I reply, “Well, Harry, since you paid off that mortgage, certainly you do.” He disagrees and corrects me, “Tell me what happens to the house that you say I own if I fail or refuse to pay my property taxes…No, the government owns my house and they’re taxing me right out of it! In fact, the property taxes I pay today exceed what my old mortgage payment used to be, including principle and interest.”

Why do we tolerate such a system? The government has had its way unfairly with us for too long.

This week I submitted legislation on your behalf to provide massive, permanent property tax relief (SB2079). I propose that we “freeze for all” property tax assessments until you sell your home and buy a new one.

For those who must be a lot wealthier than most of us and who say that this is impractical because of the growing financial needs of local government and schools, I propose “leveling the playing field” for the proper collection of sales tax on purchases made over the Internet (SB2080). When we buy an item from our local retailer, we pay sales tax. When we pick up the phone and buy an item, we pay sales tax. But, when an item is purchased at a computer terminal, there’s no sales tax collection enforced.

How can this inconsistent application of sales tax collection be fair, especially to the local retailer who pays property taxes like the rest of us and provides jobs? This is enforcement of sales tax collection on “purchases over the Internet”, not on “access to the Internet”. In fact, the legislation I propose repeals the telecommunication tax that is currently charged on your D.S.L. internet access.

The revenue provided by this consistent application of the sales tax law is $600,000,000 each year and growing at 20% per year. Twenty percent of the sales taxes collected from this source will go to local government in the same way that it is currently distributed and the remaining 80% will go back to school districts on an equitable per-pupil allocation.

In the end, the reason why taxes are increasing so rapidly is because government spending is increasing so rapidly. Just as we have the local property tax cap, the state government should have a state spending cap. I propose that we should cap spending for state government at the rate of economic growth and increases in population growth in Illinois (SB1358).

If you agree with these initiatives, please call your local senator and ask her/him to co-sponsor these bills. If you don’t know who to contact, please call me at 217-782-0052 and we’ll give you the name and phone number. Also, write a letter to your local newspaper’s editor in support for these reforms.

We’ve had enough--unrealized gains on our homes should not be taxed.

I don't miss paying $3,000 per year property tax on an $80,000 home. And NOT being able to send my kids to the local schools because they are THAT bad.

I wish you well in your endeavor to have that law changed. It's long overdue.

Imagine you buy a home for $100,000. Over the next 10 years, a housing boom ensues, and the value balloons to $400,000, along with property taxes quadrupling. Then, the bubble bursts, and the value falls back to $100,000 and you sell the home.

It's a wealth tax.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
It's a wealth tax.

I agree with you until this. It's not even a wealth tax, because you don't have that wealth. (as your example supports.) And they aren't going to guarantee that your home will sell for the assesed value.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
I don't miss paying $3,000 per year property tax on an $80,000 home. And NOT being able to send my kids to the local schools because they are THAT bad.

I wish you well in your endeavor to have that law changed. It's long overdue.

Thanks for the good wishes, we'll need it, with Chicago obviously having a say in this. As corrupt and out of control as they are I doubt we have a chance.

So there is no property tax in Tennesee?

It is long overdue. It's crazy. I won't even be able to afford taxes when I retire. It will be higher than my entire mortgage is right now.

Imagine owning an apartmnt building. The taxes are raised the price of providing heat, hot water and services increase.

Yet, a government agency controls the amount you can raise your rents. What happens?

No one builds residential rental properties.

BTW, as long as people are going to be hostages of the educational system, no reform will occur with regard to propert taxes.

Keep in mind that a revaluation is town wide and by law can not be used to raise taxes. In other words, the revaluation is revenue neutral. In the real world, some parts of town will go up in value more than another and there will be some shift in tax burden, and typically also a shift from commercial to residential.

At our last town revaluation, our property taxes went down very slightly even though the house valuation went way up (because the mill rate came way down). Then the yearly budget increase more than ate away at the reduction, and overall our taxes went up that year. One friend had his property tax go down 25%, and another went up 50%. The +50% house is on a lake and property in that part of town has gone way up.

What I do like about SB2079 is that longer term residents will be taking on less of the tax burden than newer residents. The longer term residents will see their property taxes remain fairly flat, and newer residents will pay more (assuming that property keeps on moving up in value). This is fair because the longer term residents will typically be older and have no children in the school system. Higher taxes on new residents will discourage "town hopping".

For example, a family with three children buys a house. They pay say $8,000 per year in property tax. Their three children cost roughly $33,000 per year in school costs ($11K per child, times 3). Net loss to the town is $33K-$8K = $25K per year. The family stays in town 8 years then moves out. Total loss to the town is $25K*8 = $200K. That's the loss only considering the school services. With town services considered, the loss is closer to $250K.

In my town, I see this happen a lot. Higher taxes on new residents is a plausable way to inhibit this and also to raise extra money from those using the services. (and there are others ways e.g. new building fees)

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

So there is no property tax in Tennesee?

There is, but it's less than 1/3 than that of Illinois. No local property tax in my town either. Even the more expensive homes don't pay the same rates as they would pay if that same house was in Schaumburg or Carol Stream.

How does Gov Blagoyovich stand on this issue??

Jason, I'm in Tennessee and pay City and County property tax. It continually goes up every year. I could never sell my house for accessed value. I expect it to get only worse. We have almost 10% Sales tax where I live, but with plant closings etc., I expect property tax or wheel tax to increase to make up for less consumer spending.

Different tax philosophies between Illinois and Tn., but there is no way to win for us average taxpayers. Whether they get you on the front end or backend, ultimately they get the tax.

Tax methodology may not be so important. Maybe we need to look at Colorado and their Taxpayer Bill of Rights? Keeping spending under control is a key issue, maybe.

Jason, do you really think if property tax is reformed, that the govt. appetite for more spending won't just shift to gas taxes, etc. where they can do it without referendum??

[ September 07, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

If you feel you could not sell your house for the appraised value, there may be an appeals process. We can protest the evaluation, and one of the most potent tools is to use recent closed sales in your area.

In Michigan they limited the increase in property taxes, essentially grandfathering long-time owners to lower tax rates than newer owners. This was in an attempt to stop urban sprawl and white-flight.

What resulted over the years was lower revenue for the State and now they're looking for ways to make up this lost revenue.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
In Michigan they limited the increase in property taxes, essentially grandfathering long-time owners to lower tax rates than newer owners. This was in an attempt to stop urban sprawl and white-flight.

What resulted over the years was lower revenue for the State and now they're looking for ways to make up this lost revenue.

And the worst part, if you do move, they nail you the full amount the taxes would have been if the limits had not existed. So you look at a real estate listing and the property taxes are $1500, but the people have live there for 20 years. You buy it and find out the taxes are now $3000! So you get two people living side by side in similar houses and one pays twice the taxes. What a rotten deal.

I disagree. That's how it should be. The rotten deal is for those who are being taxed out of their homes they supposedly own.

Btw, we found the taxes aren't accurate on the real estate listings anyway. Our taxes went up $1200 first year. Has been bogus for people we know as well. So nothing will change there.
It's relatively simple to calculate if you know the tax rate, so if this was in effect you could figure it in advance.

Obviously as the Senators article states, you must be one of the ones wealthier than most of us. Would you mind sharing then?

Well we just found we are getting hit with another multiplier across the board again. Taxes going up about 7% again. That will be the fourth year in a row of an increase. Obivously they are not going to let anyone catch their breath with this housing market, they are getting every last dime they can.

No one gets 7% raises anymore. So in effect you are worse off every year. Nevermind breaking even.

Not that I want anymore services or gov't involvement, but they don't even have anything to show for all the extra money they are getting.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Well we just found we are getting hit with another multiplier across the board again. Taxes going up about 7% again.

Our town budget usually starts out with the board of selectman asking for 12%. After four referendums, it usually passes around 5%. I would vote Yes if the increase was under 3%. Never voted Yes once, and been in town 13 years.

Most of the town budget is under control. However, town employee health insurance costs are increasing 20% per year and the existing labor contract puts all of the burden onto the taxpayers. We are at best treading water, and going backwards in some areas.

It's a terrific idea that newer residents pay more in property tax than longstanding residents. They move in and get the immediate benefit of past spending by current residents.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:

And the worst part, if you do move, they nail you the full amount the taxes would have been if the limits had not existed. So you look at a real estate listing and the property taxes are $1500, but the people have live there for 20 years. You buy it and find out the taxes are now $3000! So you get two people living side by side in similar houses and one pays twice the taxes. What a rotten deal.

Well at least you get to vote on it. We have a quadrennial assesment but they have been putting this multiplier to the assessed values EVERY year inbetween. This is off our assessors website:

quote:

By law, all property is subject to review every four year (quadrennial period). However legislation permits the Township Assessor to reassess property each year, if necessary.

"if necessary" that's a classic. And whom determines that...
rolleyes.gif
And actually it's not even a true assessment, like I said, just a flat percentage of valuation for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back