Most Reliable Camry Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a used car under 3k. my escape is getting old and need something with better mpg. I'm looking at toyota camrys at the moment. What are the most reliable years?

Any other cars I should be looking at?

Thanks

The 92-96 Camry is the best car ever made.

The 83-91 will be fine, too.

97-01 is when they *started* to slide but were still very good cars (this generation is basically a cheapened version of the 92-96 before)

Any year you can afford will be just fine in reliability! The newer Camry generations that started Toyota's decline are out of your budget anyway.

For the under $3000 segment, condition has a much greater influence on price than mileage and year. As long as you know how to check basic things and can find something that was reasonably taken care of, you'll be fine.

You may also consider the Lexus ES250 and ES300. Basically a rebadged Camry V6. There's also the Avalon, a LWB Camry with a front bench seat!

Any 80s or 90s Camry, Avalon, or ES will serve you well as long as it has been taken care of.

The only real downside is that the V6 can be difficult to work on because getting to the back of the engine. The Avalon and ES are V6-only. But if you find one with recent valve cover gasket, timing belt/WP, and spark plug service done, then they are perfectly fine to get.

Good luck!

If you are willing to consider Corolla's, they might be a worthy option with better mpg..although weaker engine and smaller.

I turned over 325k on my '97 this week. Bought it new, very few repairs, and would drive it across the country right now without a second thought.
That being said, I do believe that my '95 Camry (currently 172k, bought used)is a better generation of Camry. Hard to say how it is better considering the good fortune I've had with the '97, but most everything on it just seems better built...maybe not as comfortable to drive, but better.
For your price range, I think finding an excellently maintained '94-'96 would be ideal.

I sold my 97' Camry in July with 197k miles. Ran great. The week before I had a last minute road trip to help my brother with car trouble (96' Lexus ES300 LOL) and he was in Montana. I woke up the next morning, got in it and went. 3,000 miles round trip and it handled it like a champ. I sold it cause I was iffy on the A/C compressor making noise and transmission shifting weird. It was the 2.2L. Not very quick at all but it got 35 mpg on the highway. Go for the 4 cylinder. Maybe a 5 speed

XV30! XV30!
That's '02-'06
NOT TMMK built ones
I think they were one of the best looking, and best to drive Camry's ever made
2006_toyota_camry_sedan_se-v6_fq_oem_2_300.jpg

Originally Posted By: mjk
As stated, the 92-96 Gen is Toyota's Gold Standard. You should be able to find a clean example in Virginia.

I agree. Those were the pinnacle years for Toyota. I have a 94 Corolla. I won't sell it ever. They have issues though. Many of the engine designs burn oil. But the overall engineering is rock solidly built. They are well built toasters.

That said, I wouldn't pass up on any newer models.

I still see '92-'96 rust free Camry's here in my area. I can't believe it when I see'em. They couldn't have all come from the rust free states!

A friend I work with has a 2010 Corolla that he bought when it first came out.

It is 5 years old now and it has never given him a moments problem.

He is just getting his first set of front pads and rotors done this Spring.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Toyota, more bang for the buck over Honda. Honda is very expensive to buy used in Montreal.

And finding a Civic in Montreal that hasn't been abused by a boy racer would be very difficult.

Quote:
Any other cars I should be looking at?

Camry best selling for a reason. For a sedan, it's a Camry.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I turned over 325k on my '97 this week. Bought it new, very few repairs, and would drive it across the country right now without a second thought.
That being said, I do believe that my '95 Camry (currently 172k, bought used)is a better generation of Camry. Hard to say how it is better considering the good fortune I've had with the '97, but most everything on it just seems better built...maybe not as comfortable to drive, but better.
For your price range, I think finding an excellently maintained '94-'96 would be ideal.

I have to agree. My 95 has impressed me. These 2.2L return solid gas mileage even at continued high speeds of 85mph. Surprising smoothness as well. 7k OCI with SuperTech Syn and gas is all she needs. I have faith in mine I often take it on 650 mile round trips to northern new england where service stations aren't right around the corner and winter can be pretty harsh. I was offered 2500 for mine and I said no. I get to much utility out of it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If you are willing to consider Corolla's, they might be a worthy option with better mpg..although weaker engine and smaller.

And a tin box unfortunately in comparison. Larger cars seem to hold up better long term in terms of squeaks and rattles. I found find this across Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Ford/GM. I think the less quality ride just shakes them apart.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
And a tin box unfortunately in comparison

The sheet metal thinness is identical and the inner structure is just as good, both are very well put together under the skin.
More sound deadening material is used in the Camry as well as tar like pads inside the doors and quarters to give a more "solid feel" and make it a little quieter.

A Corolla in the higher trim levels like the XRS also use more of these materials as well as the 2.4 engine (XRS).

Even though this gen Camry 4 cylinder only made 135 hp(iron block/alum head) from '92-94 and 125 hp(alum block/alum head) from '95/'96. These engines made their power right where you use/need it, making one think that there was even more power than there actually was.

The power actually went down on the '95/'96 when Toyota change the engine block to aluminum but, increased throttle response and a slight gain in mpg. How slight, I don't remember!

We had a lot of folks in our circle that put on miles well into the 6 digits(250K-300K miles) and drove'em without any rust for near 20 years before getting rid of the Camry's just because they were tired of driving them!

FINE Car in their day! I remember reading that, David E. Davis of Automobile Magazine said that this Gen Camry was the best car, built in America!

Last edited:
Good points. I drove my friend's 92 coupe, and it felt like it had solid HP. My 96 v6 is a very peppy car (for its age). At 232K, I still don't have any dash noises. Only car I've owned that is essentially free of interior noises, at this age.

PS - the friend retired his '92, with 290k on it. He somehow got a Grand for it, even though he had some unknown electrical issues with it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Even though this gen Camry 4 cylinder only made 135 hp(iron block/alum head) from '92-94 and 125 hp(alum block/alum head) from '95/'96. These engines made their power right where you use/need it, making one think that there was even more power than there actually was.

The power actually went down on the '95/'96 when Toyota change the engine block to aluminum but, increased throttle response and a slight gain in mpg. How slight, I don't remember!

We had a lot of folks in our circle that put on miles well into the 6 digits(250K-300K miles) and drove'em without any rust for near 20 years before getting rid of the Camry's just because they were tired of driving them!

FINE Car in their day! I remember reading that, David E. Davis of Automobile Magazine said that this Gen Camry was the best car, built in America!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back