Most interesting test-drive you've been on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: juanw
. . . gets out, and has a Chris Farley like meltdown on the side of the road.

It's amazing how powerful those two words are in animating the imagination. It was a pretty good story to begin with, but once I started picturing the salesman as Chris Farley it went to another level!

A Friday night in '80 we're test-driving a '72 Mustang at one of the used car lots that used to line Beach Blvd. in Westminster, CA.
3 of us in the back seat, 1 in front, and the salesman, who will drive it off the lot.

He's down the driveway, wheel cranked to the right, hits the gas, and a few car lengths later the right-front wheel falls off 4 of its 5 studs. Apparently, someone was on the lot at an earlier time trying to steal the wheels and didn't succeed. A wheel being held on by one stud makes one [censored] of a noise, as it kind of carves its way through the wheel well. The car leans a lot too, like an old cartoon cart that has off-centered wheels.

Surprisingly, the salesman stops, puts it into reverse, and backs into the driveway, until the wheel wedges the car to a stop. He then goes into the sales pitch. (Wow, people back then had tenacity.) I exclaim, "what about the wheel?!" He then says it's no problem, he'll just get the other guy out here, he'll get it put back on in no time, and we can go for our test drive.

Originally Posted By: urchin

You flat out wasted her time, when she could have been helping another customer that was actually interested in buying an Audi. Are you proud of yourself?

I was assigned that test drive, thank you very much. I was told what to say, which vehicle to drive, and how to go about it. And I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I am so proud it should reflect off your mirror-like poor attitude and shine all over this thread. I got paid to irritate her, basically. So before you go spouting off about all the customers that weren't present on the lot to do anything anyway, read the last 2 lines of my post again.

"Got paid $60 for that mystery shop that day ($50 plus $10 bonus for detailed descriptions and extra questions answered). Would have gladly done it for free with that outcome."

Originally Posted By: occupant
I was assigned that test drive, thank you very much.

I enjoyed the story. You did the job, you got paid, and you enjoyed doing the job. If one doesn't enjoy one's job or wish to do it properly, perhaps one shouldn't be doing it. You did it right.

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
There is a special place in Heck for mystery shoppers.

Oh we do it all the time. My parents and I do mystery shops for various restaraunts. It's a good deal. We basically get a free meal (and then some) to answer a few questions about the service and food.

When I worked at the Ford dealer about 30 years ago I worked on the occasional fire truck. One day I was pulling out of the lot for a test drive and a girl from the office begged to go with me as she loved fire trucks. I already knew she was interested in me and by the time we got back after stopping behind an industrial complex I was sure of it!
Yes, in a fire truck, on a test drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back