most disappointing car you ever had.

My worst was a 1995 Dodge Neon and the runner up was a 1997 Honda Accord. My old Excel was more reliable than the Neon and the Accord started falling apart after 80k miles and the transmission was going bad. Thankfully a telephone pole hit the Accord on an icy night and totaled it.

Last edited:
1984 Mercury Topaz -
  • It was only 8 years old when I got it and the headliner was already peeling off the cardboard substrate.
  • Very cold blooded.
  • Crazy amount of engine vibration.
  • Auto transmission was very harsh shifting.
  • The dark blue metallic, neglected paint buffed out pretty good.
I sold it after 5-6 months for $750. I got the car for free so it was almost all profit. Not too disappointing.

Had a 2016 Jag XJL. Always wanted a Jag, never had any problems with it except I could never get used to the seats. Always thought they were hard and uncomfortable, hence I sold it with 28k miles and bought a Buick. Always bought Buicks (new(1972 on up) forever till they stopped making full size.

My mother's 1970 Chevy Chevelle. Just back from the service and needed to use it for weekend dates. She'd always leave it on empty. Had a P-Glide trans and a 283. A real slug. Still it got the j-oh-bee done. Tks ma.

reasonable facimile
chevelle.jpg
uncredited

Agree 100% had a 98 mercury mistake that car was pure misery , the 2.5 v6 was a real gem only thing good on the car.....
I had a 1995 Contour; the first year. A complete and total piece of junk ... so many things went wrong with that car. The 2.5L v-6 was great, but everything else was garbage. A true lowpoint. I bought it new and traded it away two years later for lease on a Grand Marquis.

Oddly enough, by the end of the CDW (Contour/Mystique) platform run, they actually had things sorted out fairly well. A buddy of mine bought a lightly used 2000 Contour SVT with a manual, and drove that thing for over 300k miles, and only had to change a water pump once. Everything else in that car was fine. The SVT ran fast, handled decently, and it never gave him a moment's trouble. Go figure.

1982 Ford Granada Ghia. 250ci straight six OHV. The carburetor was a Holley 1V with a brass piston inside as the power valve. The solid brass piston would always bend and therefore subsequently get stuck in its bore. A power valve made out of a stronger material such as stainless steel would have made a completely different car. I went to a machine shop one day and asked the old timer there why they made them out of brass. He said brass is very soft and they can spit them out like peanuts. His words.

For me it was the 1980 Jeep CJ-7 I bought in 1988. The combination of the rough ride and the rattles and squeaks from the hardtop and windows made every drive in it fatiguing. And the issues I had with the brakes, the front axles, the carburator and various other items led me to lose interest in it in a hurry. I went back to driving my beater Nova for the next few years....

I would have to say my mothers 1995 Honda Accord. Absolutely horrible car. By 2005 it had a failed ABS pump, AC compressor, and head gasket. Head gasket was done by a shop. AC we never bothered to fix. And I finally threw in a junkyard ABS pump last year to get rid of the annoying noise every time the car was started.

Now that it’s old I don’t really blame it for something new being broken every single time she drives it but so many expensive failures early on it’s life have eternally turned me off of Honda cars.

My B2300; bought new, great mpg (31), great AC, easy maintenance all attached to the biggest (edit - MOD) frame know to mankind. Ball joints @ 33K, clutch @ 120K (I know how to drive a standard, made 400K+ miles on my echo with one clutch) cross members rusted and spare dropped on my driveway; had it all welded up only to have the WP fail and the HG to blow with the hot light on for < 10 seconds. Driven in the SAME exact conditions as was the maintenance as my 400K mile Toyota; it cost me immeasurable amounts to keep on the road. Should have learned when my used 1989 F150 met the same demise. Not buying another Ford again; great out of the box (I loved it as a new vehicle to about 8 years old), age very poory IMHO. If I want a 20 year lasting car, only 1 choice to make

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you find these cars. Not seeing them in my area
Just a quick Facebook search found these,

1968 Volkswagon Squareback bought new. No heat. No ventilation, leaked water like a sieve. Couldn't drive in the rain without getting wet from the knees down. Leaked gas. Wouldn't start from time to time. Had to take to dealer to fix things about once a month. Right after the warranty ran out the engine blew. It did have a nice paint job though.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
2013 Chrysler 200 limited. It lacks the comfort, styling, build quality, and charisma that my LH cars had while only getting mildly better mileage. I was in a hurry and didn't shop as thoroughly as I should have.

Car I learned to drive in was a 1958 Simca Aronde. Had 4 speed on the column . head developed a crank and we fixed that. I was easy to work on, My sister and I got rear endeed by a drunk doing 55. That was the end of that. The tail light lenses wound up 150 feet down the road. Sister and I survived though.

My '06 325i was a real stinker
I was at the E90 reveal spring 2005. When they pulled the covers off the 330i and 325i, everyone ooohh’d and ahhhhhh’d.

One lady said the shrimp cocktail was awful, Mercedes has lobster.

Me I said imma get me one someday. Due to my delay, it would be another 18 mos and now it was a 335 instead of 330. It’s still in the garage 16 years later

Tie between a 2005 FORD TAURUS or 1996 GMC SONOMA
I babied both of them and at around 75,000 for both of them , fell apart - money pits

Back