More than 80% of Americans can't afford a new car

I laughed leaving the credit union today after renewing a CD that matured, they had a sign that advertised as low as 5.99% for 60 months on a new vehicle loan. No thanks.

Driving 85 on an open, well designed wide highway is safer than driving 65 thirty or forty years ago. Think back to 1980 for example, you had lots of 1960 and 1970 era vehicles on the road, without things like airbags, ABS, etc, with sloppy suspensions riding on old bias ply tires. I will take 85 today over 65 then any day of the week. Besides, the 85 mph highways comprise only a very small percent of the total roads.
Not to mention the retreads some of us drive on in 1980. Vroom, vroom.

Since 2020 dual front airbags are mandatory and rear side airbags are optional in Mexico. Since 1999 dual front airbags are mandatory and rear side airbags are still optional to this day in the US so both countries are on par in terms of airbag requirements.

Yea-I wasn't aware they pass that. I knew you could still purchase them at some point without. Of course there are going to be plenty of vehicles on the road without them that are already owned or sold used. Especially when you consider the average populace can't afford newer cars.

I laughed leaving the credit union today after renewing a CD that matured, they had a sign that advertised as low as 5.99% for 60 months on a new vehicle loan. No thanks.
You can laugh-but that's a competitive rate in most states. Were you around in the 80's?

Driving 85 on an open, well designed wide highway is safer than driving 65 thirty or forty years ago. Think back to 1980 for example, you had lots of 1960 and 1970 era vehicles on the road, without things like airbags, ABS, etc, with sloppy suspensions riding on old bias ply tires. I will take 85 today over 65 then any day of the week. Besides, the 85 mph highways comprise only a very small percent of the total roads.
On a clean dry road designed for 85mph, in the daytime with good drivers, you are probably right. But if you look at the numbers, including reaction times, probably a dump truck at 65mph still stops about the same as a BMW M5 at 85mph. Especially if the dump truck operator is paying attention....
I know I'd rather be going 65 than 85 if things start to go bad though.

Looking pretty good with the new technology.
Back to 1913? I mean I used to ride around in the back seat with no seatbelt when I was 5.

Comparing modern cars with and without the tech:

"The number of fatal car crashes in each state has risen significantly over the last several years. From 2018 to 2022, the number of deadly accidents in the United States increased by more than 16%"

Of course there could be countless reasons for that, but were again back to opinions, not data.

Like I said, I like the nannies, or at least the safety ones. But I do wonder if they simply cause people to drive more stupid - like football players and helmets.

Last edited:
Back to 1913? I mean I used to ride around in the back seat with no seatbelt when I was 5.

Comparing modern cars with and without the tech:

"The number of fatal car crashes in each state has risen significantly over the last several years. From 2018 to 2022, the number of deadly accidents in the United States increased by more than 16%"

Of course there could be countless reasons for that, but were again back to opinions, not data.

Like I said, I like the nannies, or at least the safety ones. But I do wonder if they simply cause people to drive more stupid - like football players and helmets.

Did you not notice the precipitous decline in the number of deaths per 100k miles driven?

Compare today with the late 1950's to late 1960's.

Did you not notice the precipitous decline the number of deaths per 100k miles driven?
Your own data actually proves my point. If you hover over the line at the bottom, rate per 100K miles in 2010 was 1.2 deaths / 100K, and in 2022 it was 1.33 deaths / 100K. So in that time - the time of all these new nannies, Deaths per 100K increased 10%

Never trust data you haven't manipulated yourself. The author went back to 1913 to clearly manipulate opinions by showing this long trend then hoping no one would notice data from the last 12 years.

No one is suggesting going back to model T's. I hope?

Modern car to modern car the comparison is clear - things are getting worse.

1718278359393.jpg

Last edited:
Your own data actually proves my point. If you hover over the line at the bottom, rate per 100K miles in 2010 was 1.2 deaths / 100K, and in 2022 it was 1.33 deaths / 100K. So in that time - the time of all these new nannies, Deaths per 100K increased 10%

Never trust data you haven't manipulated yourself. The author went back to 1913 to clearly manipulate opinions by showing this long trend then hoping no one would notice data from the last 12 years.

View attachment 224647
Ahh you're talking about advancements within recent years. Well some of those advancements are tailored towards reducing accidents in general (Vehicle and pedestrian). This graph only involves deaths. It's also worth noting that the rate of deaths have remained low in spite of the the increase in number of miles driven every year and number of vehicles on the road.

Ahh you're talking about advancements within recent years. Well some of those advancements are tailored towards reducing accidents in general (Vehicle and pedestrian). This graph only involves deaths. It's also worth noting that the rate of deaths have remained low in spite of the the increase in number of miles driven every year and number of vehicles on the road.
You might be right, but again the data contradicts that.

I am not saying we should go the other way, but my OP was in regards to someone saying cars sold without these advanced features were more dangerous. Maybe they were, maybe they were not. Its conjecture. Deaths per 100K miles has been rising for the last decade is data. The why, still unknown?

Some of the tech may be contributing to hazards on the road. The idea of having a video screen in the dashboard has always struck me as wrongheaded. I know people who rely on a GPS to tell them where to turn in real time. I like to know where I've going and how I'm going to get there before I get into the car.

I got my wifes 2024 CX-5 on a 60 month loan (never done that long before.) Had $1,500 military discount, plus a discount with my company (I think it ws $1,000.) Went through my credit union and got 1.5%.) Overall not a bad deal, monthly payment is around $389 when all was done. Reasonable these days.

This thread caught my eye again because we maybe in the market for a new minivan soon due to an accident. Depends on what the repair shop comes back with on the estimate. It’ll probably be a total loss if I had to guess.

Anyhow, I think most middle class or higher can absolutely afford a decent vehicle just maybe not the one they want. We got our Sienna LE brand new for $35K about 3.5 years ago and the same one now is $40K. Not happy about it but that is a manageable increase.

The problem is most people pass on the minivan/car they actually need and opt for the SUV/Truck/Jeep they want. They’ll ghost the $40K minivan and buy the $60K Tahoe/Silverado and then start poor mouthing. And also bellyache every time gas goes up 10 cents.

I got my wifes 2024 CX-5 on a 60 month loan (never done that long before.) Had $1,500 military discount, plus a discount with my company (I think it ws $1,000.) Went through my credit union and got 1.5%.) Overall not a bad deal, monthly payment is around $389 when all was done. Reasonable these days.
Where did you get a $1500 military? The most I could get was $500. You got lucky! But I think the general consensus is people putting $2-5k down on an average market vehicle, and payments are in the 700’s. Like this Mazda estimator
IMG_2088.jpg

Where did you get a $1500 military? The most I could get was $500. You got lucky! But I think the general consensus is people putting $2-5k down on an average market vehicle, and payments are in the 700’s. Like this Mazda estimator View attachment 224654
Yeah, it was a lot of negotiating. I actually walked away and we were going to keep her Tucson for a while. Two weeks later they called me back and we made the deal. Took over a month, but got what I wanted. I think you're right, it was $500, but thats kind of how they "distributed" the discounts. Sticker was $27,900 I think.

For my wife's new crosstrek she had 9k equity in her trade so the financed amount was about $17K on a brand new Crosstrek Premium

So $364/ month for 60 months - about what it's been over the past few trade - ins.

But now she is retired with SoSec income well under 3K per month! What to do for the next one? LOL.

View attachment 224647
So many factors happened between then and now including elderly population significant rise, decent population increase(more density on same roads) and other items. A simple view it has gotten worst agree.

Zero interest in new cars. Too many gadgets, bad UIs, and too expensive. Sadly the good used cars -- those from the mid-2000s -- will age out eventually. I'll keep them running as long as I can, it's still cheaper than a new car.

Back