More sludge pictures and Pennzoil bashing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignorance abounds on the internet. Abstract thought seems to escape many modern man.

I had a old 1985 Honda Accord way back in,,, 1985. I drove that car for 180,000 miles using Pennzoil 10W-40 back when it was a group I product. That car was sold in 1993 and was serviced every 5,000 miles per the owners manual. It never suffered any type of sludge, varnish, gum or any other anomaly associated with Pennzoil.

Why do so-called 'professional' mechanics insist on spreading this story? Is their background and education truly that pathetic? I would expect this from the youthful Civic crowd but not from folks that spend their day under a hood for pay.

Geeessshh , look here......

My dad bought a new Ford LTD wagon 351 w in 1980...still has it , bottle feed on Pennzoil 10w 40 ( every 3 k ) now with 130k trouble free ( still mint/original too)....in fact I still have a few cases of the old oil.

My old 89 Celica with 349k miles , bottle feed on 10w 40 Pennzoil....never a problem ...5 quarts in , 5 out at 4k oil changes.....never had to add oil between changes....nope. Had to park it , it rusted away ( I pout ).

My newest Celica , 1987 ( don't laugh) has 210k with Pennzoil 10w 40.....last year switched over to Penn high mile jug oil.....runs like a fine tuned race car lol.

Just bought a Camry 05 ,38k , might feed it Penn dino 5 w 30 , unless I switch to synthetic.....I'm a virgin to synthetics, never used it in " nuttin"......am I missing something?
N3OO

I don't know whether to bash or praise Pennzoil. I put some PP in my Camaro with the [censored] 3.4 last summer and when I changed the oil gobs of sludge came out of the pan and filter.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I don't know whether to bash or praise Pennzoil. I put some PP in my Camaro with the [censored] 3.4 last summer and when I changed the oil gobs of sludge came out of the pan and filter.
54.gif

If it wasn't run overly long (meaning it wasn't a source of the sludge), then it deserves praise for loosening the sludge that was already there. How long did you run the PP?

54.gif

Pennzoil claims Platinum will remove 50% of engine/sludge deposits in the first oil change.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
54.gif

Pennzoil claims Platinum will remove 50% of engine/sludge deposits in the first oil change.
seen that commercial on the SPEED CHANNEL . Hopefully not using alot of sodium ( ? ) . Like some U.O.A.s with MOBIL CLEAN ( if I remember correctly ) .

54.gif

What were you using before you put the PP last summer, and how many times has the oil been changed since last summer? How many miles have you driven since last summer?

Originally Posted By: N3OO
Geeessshh , look here......

My dad bought a new Ford LTD wagon 351 w in 1980...still has it , bottle feed on Pennzoil 10w 40 ( every 3 k ) now with 130k trouble free ( still mint/original too)....in fact I still have a few cases of the old oil.

My old 89 Celica with 349k miles , bottle feed on 10w 40 Pennzoil....never a problem ...5 quarts in , 5 out at 4k oil changes.....never had to add oil between changes....nope. Had to park it , it rusted away ( I pout ).

My newest Celica , 1987 ( don't laugh) has 210k with Pennzoil 10w 40.....last year switched over to Penn high mile jug oil.....runs like a fine tuned race car lol.

Just bought a Camry 05 ,38k , might feed it Penn dino 5 w 30 , unless I switch to synthetic.....I'm a virgin to synthetics, never used it in " nuttin"......am I missing something?
N3OO

No surprise. You used oil manufactured in the 80s and 90s.
Sludge came from many sources and Pennz got blamed for a lot of it(unjustifiably IM0). 50s and 60s engines used a lot more straight weight, and Pennz had one of the best, probably still does. Lot of those 200k stories had to come from somewhere.

They were the leading seller at one time, don't know if that applies now. Lot of exposure, lot of opportunity for blame.

I often wonder if these yo-yos are confusing Pennzoil with the old formula Quaker State? Now that stuff was just about instant sludge if you didn't change it on the nose or only took short trips. Today, they are both owned by Shell so I wonder if they aren't lumping the two together?

Originally Posted By: Chris71
I often wonder if these yo-yos are confusing Pennzoil with the old formula Quaker State? Now that stuff was just about instant sludge if you didn't change it on the nose or only took short trips. Today, they are both owned by Shell so I wonder if they aren't lumping the two together?

i think theyre just rice boys that educate themselves around water coolers

Originally Posted By: JAG
54.gif

If it wasn't run overly long (meaning it wasn't a source of the sludge), then it deserves praise for loosening the sludge that was already there. How long did you run the PP?

I ran the PP for around 4000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
54.gif

What were you using before you put the PP last summer, and how many times has the oil been changed since last summer? How many miles have you driven since last summer?

I bought the car about 10 months prior to putting in PP. I was running Motorcraft 5w30 because I heard it was a quality oil. After I used the PP I ran Castrol GTX in it for 3 oil changes before parking it due to an electrical gremlin. I have since taken the valves covers off and it was spotless.

Originally Posted By: mitchcoyote
Used motor oil is good for curing mange on dogs and cats.

This really works. Used motor oil, powered sulfer and just a tad of kerosene. It does work and does not harm the animal.

I think it's wierd that everyone on the forum is so used to stories about Pennzoil and sludge. Before hanging around here, I had never heard anything bad about Pennzoil. In this area, it was Quaker State with the stories of sludge and wax buildup during the '70s and '80s. There were virtually no garages around here who used the stuff yet every case of sludge was blamed on it. I still don't know anyone who uses Quaker State and even the Walmarts hardly carry any stock, I assume due to low sales.

Wolfshead and Kendall were the preferred brands of most garages.

Around here I barely see people use Pennzoil or Quaker State, it seems to be predominantly Mobil 1 for Synthetic, Valvoline and Valvoline MaxLife. Every time I'm in the store, that's all I ever see people buy. Before coming to this site I would only use Valvoline because that's what my parents used and my grandparents used, etc., but I have since seen the light!
LOL.gif

Michigan has several different pockets of popularity. From Kalamazoo up the western coast to Traverse City, Pennzoil is very popular, where your at over almost to western Detroit area, Valvoline is the most popular, and the southeastern area of the state including Detroit, it's a toss up between Quaker State and Valvoline.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I encounterd some ASE-trianed mud head on ClubRSX.com who said his instructor specificly mentioned Pennzoil sludging engines. Sad.

Those who can not, teach.

I still do not believe Pennzoil was a sludge causing oil in the 60's and 70's. I would like to see documented evidence (as best that could be had 40 years ago).

I've used Pennzoil straight and multi-grades throughout this period and never had any kind of sluge problems. I also didn't really stick to any strict OCI's either.

Believe it or not, QS is no. 2 in sales behind Pennzoil so it must have shaken off its bad reputation. Back in the mid-80s, my dad owned an auto parts store and the only oil he could sell was Pennzoil. He couldn't give away anything else.It was Pennzoil or nothing for those people.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

I hope that's a joke.

I heard the same thing years ago . It's probably true .

Oddly enough, many years ago I had a beagle with a mange problem and I tried all sorts of stuff but not used crankcase oil. Kerosene, however, did in fact clear it up- probably a few similar polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons between the two. Good thing my dog was a non-smoker and we didn't have a fireplace...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back