More magnetic dipstick pics.

Here are more pics. As some of you know I run these dipsticks in my generator, pressure washer, and now my log splitter.

This is from initial startup and 1hr running on my logslitter engine. A Kohler SH 6.5 hp.
Oil will be changed before next use.
IMG_20210403_092302056.jpg
IMG_20210403_092338971.jpg
IMG_20210403_092410396.jpg

I'm surprised there is that much metal from a small engine. Do all three engines have metal like that?
On initial first fireup and 1st hour, yes.
After the first hour and oil change not that much.
I was curious if the brand name Kohler engine would have less break-in ferrous metal than the chonda engines on my hf generator and northern tool power washer. But it had just as much.

I usually make my own for my cars, using those small, very powerful magnets, but I Epoxy them to the tip of the oil drain plug. I've never had one come loose, as long as the drain plug is clean, oil free, and the surface prepared before gluing. I typically get that same fine, dark gray metal coating on them, and about the same amount. Of course were talking about way more moving parts.

Doing this may not help much, but I feel better knowing that it's on there.

I use them in my two Honda generators. They always have a little something on them.
One neat observation is they collect particles while in storage, too. I'll wipe it clean after a long run, then put the generator away. Next time I check the oil before a run there will be a small amount of stuff collected on the magnet. It attracts whatever particles are suspended in the oil.

Used a mag dipstick on my new WEN generator. I suspect the engine internals are coated with a heavy preservative to shipping, storage. Dipstick mostly clean after the first few oil changes.

Reactions: JC1
Back