More info on Valvoline Modern Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: PimTac
My question would be , does VME have similar properties or components to the Premium Blue Restore? That is where my speculation started.

I was wondering that too. I'm skeptical. The PDS doesn't mention anything about cleaning ability and is more focused on LSPI/GDI deposits which other oils like Mobil 1 have addressed 7 years ago. The NOACK volatilty is not that great either for any of the Modern Engin oils. For the price they are charging I'd expect better.

Valvoline needs to do a much better job at marketing these oils otherwise they are extremely overrated.

Yeah, VME talks about valve deposits, the patent does not. The patent talks about piston and ring deposits. The patent mentions HD engines multiple times. The price of VME is too low to have as much ester and perhaps alkylated napthalene that the formulation examples have in the patent. A fully formulated all ester refrigeration, compressor, or turbine oil typically cost at least around $20/qt. The patent examples have PAO to cover the part that is not Group V. PAO is expensive but typically less expensive than Group V oils, and Valvoline Premium Blue Restore is around $18/qt, so that jives with the patent examples prices, in my opinion.

As with ALL oil claims it's more advertising hype than
reality.
The only oil that can really remove sludge is Diesel engine oil.
It contains MUCH more detergent than car oils.

I'm not sure how anyone can make the leap from a patent Valvoline holds and the composition of VME.
I noted in another thread that the unimpressive NOACK and W numbers for VME would seem to argue against its having much in the way of costly basestocks in its blend.
In the 0W-20 grade, VME is handily beaten in both NOACK percentage loss and CCV/MRV by any M1 in the grade as well as by PP in the same grade.
Can't in any way equate VME with some magical ability to dissolve hard carbon that may be found in an oil designed specifically for that purpose.

Valvoline is really milking it unless there is something really special about this oil. Was just in Walmart and the price per qt was $10.48. Unreal. This may be the most overpriced oil on the market right now. I’m sure it’s quality, but Valvoline has done an awful job marketing this oil.

It isn't even sold in the Walmarts near me yet. But that's ok, not interested. VAS formally VSP, has never let me down.

I stopped by WM yesterday and it’s still stocked right next to VAS. $21.97 for VAS versus $34.xx for VME. VAS is still the winner.

The M1 AP was moved to a higher shelf which is usually not a great place. Lots of EP on the next shelf down.

Still no albino deer.

AP seems to be selling OK at the Walmart I went to. Some empty shelf space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back