More info on Valvoline Modern Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to PimTac for the find.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2017/0029734.html

Quote:
A lubricant formulation which is effective to remove or prevent carbon deposits in internal combustion engines has a solvency as defined by aniline point from about 20 to about 115, a volatility (as measured by NOACK) of less than 15%, an oxidative stability (as measured by PDSC) of above 40 minutes and a base oil viscosity of above 2 and below 10 cSt. The lubricant formulation can be formed from a blend of Group III, IV and V lubricants, in particularly polyalphaolefins, alkylated naphthalenes and polar Group V base stocks such as polyol esters. The carbon deposits can be removed from the engine piston by simply running the engine with the lubricant for one required cycle, or can be used continuously in the engine to prevent buildup.

Quote:
Typical lubricants used in internal combustion engines are designed to retard deposit formation but not to remove the carbon buildup that has accumulated over time. This is especially relevant in modern internal combustion engines where additional performance demands have increased piston temperatures.

sounds very scientific I normally don't believe in anything I can't understand.
thumbsup2.gif

I've become tired of doing my own oil changes and I may start going to Valvoline Instant Oil Change to have this put in. My car has only had Mobil 1 since new (52,000 miles). Mobil quick lubes are hard to find around here.

Originally Posted By: buster
I've become tired of doing my own oil changes and I may start going to Valvoline Instant Oil Change to have this put in. My car has only had Mobil 1 since new (52,000 miles). Mobil quick lubes are hard to find around here.

I wonder how much they charge? I also have a Valvoline Instant Change a few miles away. Location is very good and the place is kept clean and landscaped. First impression and all.

I’ll still do my own though but next fall when I’m due I may consider this VME.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
So I understand Valvoline modern engine oil will remove carbon buildup?

It’s a bit of speculation but what would BITOG be without some speculation.

Valvoline has done a very poor job marketing this oil. If they came out and said what this report says, it would probably sell a lot more.

Thanks for that info. Maybe I’ll give it a shot in my ‘02 Camry’s 2AZ-FE, and then their 10w-30 HDEO Blue “Restore”, if Modern Engine doesn’t cut the oil consumption. Presently, that’s about a quart every 1100 miles.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Whoa, hold those horses. That is the patent I found and concluded that it applied to Valvoline Valvoline Premium Blue Restore HDEO, NOT Valvoline Modern Engine Oil. I still think it applies to the former and NOT the latter.
Thread about the HDEO: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...rem#Post4778351

Ahhh ok, good catch JAG! So this is more likely for the HDEO. I wonder if there is any crossover though?

I just tried calling Valvoline tech support. What a waste of time that wase. Awful. I'll just stick with what I've been using. The guy on the phone knew nothing about the oil.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Whoa, hold those horses. That is the patent I found and concluded that it applied to Valvoline Valvoline Premium Blue Restore HDEO, NOT Valvoline Modern Engine Oil. I still think it applies to the former and NOT the latter.
Thread about the HDEO: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...rem#Post4778351

Thanks for the clarification. I'll proceed directly to Premium Blue Restore.

My question would be , does VME have similar properties or components to the Premium Blue Restore? That is where my speculation started.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
My question would be , does VME have similar properties or components to the Premium Blue Restore? That is where my speculation started.
I doubt it. The Bitog experts can only guess and Valvoline wouldn't give out the info.

I was wondering that too. I'm skeptical. The PDS doesn't mention anything about cleaning ability and is more focused on LSPI/GDI deposits which other oils like Mobil 1 have addressed 7 years ago. The NOACK volatilty is not that great either for any of the Modern Engin oils. For the price they are charging I'd expect better.

Valvoline needs to do a much better job at marketing these oils otherwise they are extremely overrated.

I was wondering that too. I'm skeptical. The PDS doesn't mention anything about cleaning ability and is more focused on LSPI/GDI deposits which other oils like Mobil 1 have addressed 7 years ago. The NOACK volatilty is not that great for any of the Modern Engin oils.

The one thing I’ve noticed is the higher viscosity numbers for the xW20 grades. The 5w20 looks close to being a monograde 20. The 5w30 is barely a 30, more like a heavy 20.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

I was wondering that too. I'm skeptical. The PDS doesn't mention anything about cleaning ability and is more focused on LSPI/GDI deposits which other oils like Mobil 1 have addressed 7 years ago. The NOACK volatilty is not that great either for any of the Modern Engin oils. For the price they are charging I'd expect better.

Valvoline needs to do a much better job at marketing these oils otherwise they are extremely overrated.

I agree. When I look at the PDS for VAS, the 5w20 jumps out to me with that Noack of 7.6

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back