Mopar MO-452 cut and post from 2005 Jeep GC 3.7L - 4,900 miles 165,000 miles on vehicle

Hi all here is my first C&P. Please give me any tips I could use going forward.

A few observations...
The can seemed reasonably decent. I had a difficult time getting the filter out and had to use a screw drive to pry it out. I believe this was from putting the filter in a vise and cutting the filter open. I did damage the end cap while doing this. The filter media looked good with fairly straight pleats. ADV was very pliable rubber. The base plate was stout. I did not see anything alarming or surprising.

The filter had 4,900 miles on it with Mobil1 Truck & SUV. I put Super Tech Full Syn High Mileage 5W30 back in the beast with another MO-452.

As a side note my kid overheated the engine in August when a lower radiator hose failed. I also sent a sample to Blackstone just out of curiosity.

Todd

IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0961.jpg

Thanks for the C&P. Pics look decent. I like to post a pic of the Can and the date code of the filter which is somewhere on the Can for others to comment about if any possible defects exist.

Good looking filter. Something we haven't been doing here is excising the media (paper), stretching it out, and then measuring its area in sq. in. (or cm2) Then a table could be created for the application, and we would have reference of which filters have the most media.

I don't expect anyone here to was down the media ( paper) with acetone and ethanol then weigh the solids.
I had to worked at a lab in Wilmington where this could be done, and there exist inexpensive scope cameras with software that can do particle count and size sorting.

Or we can continue with oohs and ahhs and the great depth of meaning that provides.

Good job TnT for your shop's first forensic analysis (y)

+1 on the 'thanks'.

MOPAR filter C&P's, various good reports on some Chryslers and Dodges and my friend's new Grand Caravan have me backing away from the all-too-common distain for Chrysler products.
It's too bad there isn't a list of possible good effects the Diamler-Chrysler merger and today's FCA have brought about.

+1 on the 'thanks'.

MOPAR filter C&P's, various good reports on some Chryslers and Dodges and my friend's new Grand Caravan have me backing away from the all-too-common distain for Chrysler products.
It's too bad there isn't a list of possible good effects the Diamler-Chrysler merger and today's FCA have brought about.

Past history now that Peugeot owns it.

Something we haven't been doing here is excising the media (paper), stretching it out, and then measuring its area in sq. in. (or cm2)

It's also easy enough to measure the media area without cutting it out and laying it flat ... that's the easier and less messy way to do it.

Use an appropriate thin scale (that can get down into the inside pleat crease) - I prefer a metal mechanics scale. Then measure the pleat length and depth, and count the number of pleats. Then calculate the area.

View attachment 33263
Thank you so much for that information.
They say you learn something new everyday. This is definitely something of value that I learned today. (y)

Use an appropriate thin scale (that can get down into the inside pleat crease) - I prefer a metal mechanics scale. Then measure the pleat length and depth, and count the number of pleats. Then calculate the area.

View attachment 33263
That math looks good, and much less messy!
I recall the days as a young engineer 40 some odd years ago walking around the shop with that "dorky" Starrett pocket protector loaded up with a mechanical pencil, a red pen, a blue pen, a back pen, and x-acto knife and that very useful
little 6" rule.

Back