Mom's Camry Getting 275 Miles Per Tank (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused.gif
It's a 2009 4cyl., that was bought used w/ 49K. It now has around 53K

From a fill past the "F" to just before the "E", It has been averaging 275 miles per tank.

That doesn't seem right to me. I fill this thing up, more often than my Police Interceptor. Both she and I absolutely do not have a lead foot.

The stealership she purchased it from, claims nothing is unusual. Her 2006 was never this thirsty.

She has had nothing done to the car, aside from having the oil changed.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks!

so how many gallons go in?

Some of these SULEV things have bladders inside the tank that can cause issues.

I'd toss a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (Redline, Techron, Gumout) and see what happens.. it will ONLY help.

Does she idle a lot? Our Elantra is averaging 26 mpg because the Mrs. "needs" to warm it up for ten minutes before every trip and sits in it for half an hour eating lunch every day.

"I don't like my new car. I don't see how this is supposed to get 38 mpg."

"Idling gets you zero mpg. Don't idle."

"But it's coooold."

(face palm)

Originally Posted By: dparm
What is this "miles per tank" you speak of? What happened to miles per gallon?

It went out the window when automobile designers realized that if they put an enormous fuel tank in a grotesquely oversized, overweight, and overpowered vehicle, they could still pitch numbers that monkeys would correlate with economy.

I think I'm gonna fit a 55 gallon drum to a Toyota Prius so I can start claiming I have a modification that extends the range of one to a blistering 3000 miles of range. "Beat the gas pump with this awesome new mod!".

What is the ACTUAL MPG of the vehicle? Is it possible there are some EVAP issues going on causing the tank to not fail completely?

First thing I would have her do is keep track of the MPG for a few tanks.

My parents went from a 08 Jeep Wrangler with a 20 gallon tank to a Ford Escape with a 11 gallon tank. Even though the gas mileage went from 17-24 ... they're filling it up much more often. Doesn't mean that it gets worse mileage, just means that it needs to be filled more often.

Wow thats an 18.5 gallon tank....so,thats 15mpg!! (if you drove until totally empty).
I would be trading for a HEMI Charger,it couldnt be worse.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

"But it's coooold."

(face palm)

zippo2.png
This sounds like it might be time to buy a present. Presents with engraving tend to go over pretty well.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wow thats an 18.5 gallon tank....so,thats 15mpg!! (if you drove until totally empty).
I would be trading for a HEMI Charger,it couldnt be worse.

That's only if they consumed the full 18.5 gallons and ran it empty... Not likely.

We need a real MPG calculation done...

From full to just before the e probably only 14 gallons. You should really watch how make gallons go back into it to full before you figure out how rest of the math.

Originally Posted By: ULVER
From a fill past the "F" to just before the "E", It has been averaging 275 miles per tank.

Fuel economy is measured in miles per gallon, not miles per tank. So, let's start there. What is the MPG?

I'm always amazed that so many posts reply to a thread that requires more information from OP to add any relevant contribution....not just here but on other forums too...on one they're up to 5 pages without any reply from the OP...let's see if OP gets more info to this thread.

Originally Posted By: ULVER
confused.gif
It's a 2009 4cyl., that was bought used w/ 49K. It now has around 53K

That doesn't seem right to me. I fill this thing up, more often than my Police Interceptor. Both she and I absolutely do not have a lead foot.

The stealership she purchased it from, claims nothing is unusual. Her 2006 was never this thirsty.

She has had nothing done to the car, aside from having the oil changed.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ULVER,

I'd have the plugs pulled to see if there worn down. Since it was bought past the 30K service mark and now it seemms your approaching the 60K service I'd wait until your more close to the 60 mark and have your stealership do a full service (tune-up) done to it. Check your tire pressure and have a fresh air filter installed. Wash and wax the car for better MPG.

The only way your gonna chack MPG is to take it out on the highway and a full tank of a good brand of gas. Compare the MPG to what is claimed for your car. With all that in mind you should get close to your figure or better.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back