Moly content in conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help....which conventional 5W-30 has the most molybdenum in it? I've got a new Honda Civic Si and it is my understanding that the factory fill is loaded with moly. I've been instructed not to change the factory fill until the OLM is down to about 15%.

The vehicle only has 1,000 miles on it and has used almost a quart of oil....when I top it off I would like to fill it with a conventional oil with a high moly content until I change it. It more than likely will not go to 15%. I would prefer to change it in the 4-5k mile range.

I've looked at the older VOA's from 2005 and it shows that Chevron Supreme 5W-30 has a decent amount of moly in it. Is that the case today or is their something better...remember...conventional oil I can get off the shelf somewhere.

Thanks!

I think Motorcraft is probably your best bet. Has a high amount of moly as far as I know, more so than many others.

If price doesn't matter than you can go with Schaeffer's. Motorcraft is available pretty much anywhere though.

Secondly availability. The nearest "dealer" for example is 62.5 miles from me. Can always order online, but why ship it when you get it cheap at Wallyworld or elsewhere. But to each their own.

Donald,

I just wanted to point out that the Honda oil you buy at a dealer is just bulk Mobil and doesn't have much moly in it, so don't waste your time there.

Honestly, your search for a high moly oil is fine, but really your K20 will be fine on any oil. If you track day it I would run a syn, but in SC you'll be fine on any oil for daily driving.

Are you sure that the factory fill wasn't on the low side? That's more oil use than I'm used to seeing from any K-series.

When I got the vehicle it had 15 miles on it and before I left the dealer I checked the oil and it was full. Within the first 300 miles it was down 1/2 a quart and used almost another 1/2 quart in 700 additional miles (total of 1000 miles). The oil consumption seems to be dropping off ever so slowly. I haven't run it real hard....only up to 5000 rpm's within the first 600 miles but now I'm letting it go to 7,500 rpm on rare occasions.

oil with 0 PPM of Moly = excellent oil

oil with 400 PPM of Moly = excellent oil

That Si engine is not a high performance engine, use any dino will be fine.

"That Si engine is not a high performance engine"

200 hp from 2 liters with no forced induction... geez what does it take to impress you?

I would agree from the oil perspective there is nothing about the SI motor that needs special attention (like a turbo or flat tappets).

And I certainly agree with your attitude about Moly not being a requirement for a quality oil.

Last edited:
That engine is a VERY high performance engine. What's the upper redline, 9,000 RPMS?

But moly is one way to 'skin a cat'. There are others and they work beautifully.

Originally Posted By: Anies
If price doesn't matter than you can go with Schaeffer's. Motorcraft is available pretty much anywhere though.

I pay $4.50 per quart for Shaeffers 7000 10-30. What do you mean "if price doesn't matter"?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Not really.

Are you aware that Red Line synthetic assembly lube claims 3x the film strength of a moly based assembly lube. I'm sure the same principle applies to oils.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I think Motorcraft is probably your best bet. Has a high amount of moly as far as I know, more so than many others.
iirc, Motorcraft has NO MOLY. It does have boron though. Look in the VOA forum...

If your consumption doesn't drop DRAMATICALLY as break-in finishes, I'd be very worried. 1 quart/1k miles for a brand-new engine is NOT good....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back