Molested Hardware Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever go to Home Depot/ Lowes and find that 1/3 of the packages are opened with parts missing ?

If I open a box, it's only because it's not sealed because I never break a seal on a product. When I'm done snooping, I put all the small parts back in the box EXACTLY the way they're supposed to be! If I open a product, there is no way you'd ever know it's been open. I'm an upstanding citizen.
56.gif

If companies would list all that the product comes with on the outside of the box I wouldn't have to be the **** that opens the box to look. I see it as a failure of the marketing department that designed the packaging. I really like shopping online over shopping in a store because I can get a lot better look at the item I am buying in a lot of cases.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I really like shopping online over shopping in a store because I can get a lot better look at the item I am buying in a lot of cases.
this, I love internet shopping, and I love amazon for it.

I don't usually buy a package that has been opened. Local Wally is third highest in the nation for shop lifting. They have resorted to checking receipts and cart content.
Thieves cost us all.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I don't usually buy a package that has been opened. Local Wally is third highest in the nation for shop lifting. They have resorted to checking receipts and cart content.
Thieves cost us all.

You don't have to let them check your receipt and cart content. Once you've paid for the items in the cart you own them and they cannot search your belongings by law. If they ask to see your receipt and cart contents tell them that you own them and you do not consent to a search. If they still prod ask if you can see their phone or wallet so you can look through it as it's the same thing. When you entered the store they offered the cart to you on loan so it's the only thing they can request back. Costco gets away with it in a sneaky way by making it a contract between you and Costco. When you sign up for a membership you agree to allow Costco to search the contents of your cart before you leave the store so that's how they're able to get away with it. I've been in a number of stores where they've requested to search my cart and I politely tell them no as I exit the store and it has never resulted in an altercation. I have received some weird responses because they're used to people not understanding their rights.

It reminds me of finding all kinds of parts in the wrong bins of departments like plumbing at Lowe's and Home Depot.

It also reminds me of all the things in the plumbing department that Lowe's is out of. They don't carry much "back up" anymore.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Thieves cost us all.

You don't have to let them check your receipt and cart content. Once you've paid for the items in the cart you own them and they cannot search your belongings by law. If they ask to see your receipt and cart contents tell them that you own them and you do not consent to a search. If they still prod ask if you can see their phone or wallet so you can look through it as it's the same thing. When you entered the store they offered the cart to you on loan so it's the only thing they can request back. Costco gets away with it in a sneaky way by making it a contract between you and Costco. When you sign up for a membership you agree to allow Costco to search the contents of your cart before you leave the store so that's how they're able to get away with it. I've been in a number of stores where they've requested to search my cart and I politely tell them no as I exit the store and it has never resulted in an altercation. I have received some weird responses because they're used to people not understanding their rights.

I don't say anything...just keep walking.

A lot of this is because these stores have very lenient return policies. People buy an item, then get it home and find out it's not what they needed. Then they take it back but some of the parts don't make it back in the box.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Ever go to Home Depot/ Lowes and find that 1/3 of the packages are opened with parts missing ?

If I open a box, it's only because it's not sealed because I never break a seal on a product. When I'm done snooping, I put all the small parts back in the box EXACTLY the way they're supposed to be! If I open a product, there is no way you'd ever know it's been open. I'm an upstanding citizen.
56.gif

I, too, am considerate about opening up products before purchase. Good for you Merk.

I chuckle about the American Standard Toilet I bought from Home Depot 20 years ago. The first bowl I brought home left the foundry so crooked, it was not acceptable. I could have shimmed it, but my principles said a simple product should not need shimming.

I spent about 45 minutes at the store opening every bowl box and checking with a level until I found a good one. Makes me think the myths about big box stores getting the "lesser" items of a product line might be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back