Buying online and getting a returned product

Most stores have added exclusions to their return policies. Things like TVs have shorter return times to avoid people buying a big TV for the Super Bowl (not too common anymore), radar detectors or dedicated GPS that someone uses for a trip to return when they're back, and so on.
In the old days, people bought dresses and suits, wore them to an event, and returned. I woulda been a teen and thought that was really bad behavior. But I think people also had a hard time affording those things. I remember layaway. I used that one time in my life in 2003 and huge mistake at Sears. I could have simply charged it, but it was not in stock (snowblower which works to this day), so I thought it was a way to pre-order the machine. What happened was everytime one would come into stock, it would go to an existing paid order. I think back then, maybe it wasn't one of those order it today, and you are only charged when shipped (or you get it). I think they were pre-paid....

Ugh. Amazon returns are ridiculously easy. Just go to an ups drop and dump it off. No repackaging. I can just imagine what an Amazon return warehouse must look like now. I know what a pile of …. it looked like when I was in the airfreight business 50 years ago. It must be unbelievable now.

Back