Mobile driver license/ID

So California is trying out mobile driver licenses and I figured I'd give it a try. Only available on certain devices. Wasn't available for iPad, but I've got an iPhone and installed it. Signed in with my California DMV account (used it before to pay for registration fees and to get an appointment). Everything went well until it came time to take a photo of my driver license. Can't scroll to the bottom. Or at least not to the point where I can tap on the "START" button. I only figured this out when I used two fingers to force it to get to the bottom to see what's there, but then when I release my finger it "snaps back" to a point where I can't see that. Oh well. I'm wondering if they didn't properly program it for different device screens.

What's the point of this? What if you don't have your phone when you get pulled over. What if the battery is dead or the phone breaks?

More than a dozen states have tried it. If I'm driving I can typically charge my phone. But it's just supplementary. As far as I know one still needs a physical driver license to set up the virtual one.

What's the point of this? What if you don't have your phone when you get pulled over. What if the battery is dead or the phone breaks?

I can't recall a single time in the past 10 years at least that I haven't had my phone on me, functional and charged. As long as the digital ID works even if there is no cell service, I don't see any issue.

The future is digital whether we like it or not, this is just Californias early attempt at it and soon you will start seeing more states follow through with it.

What if you forget your wallet, what if you dropped your wallet, we can all mention a bunch of what if's but the states and government don't care.

What if you forget your wallet, what if you dropped your wallet, we can all mention a bunch of what if's but the states and government don't care.
Don't carry a wallet, just a credit card holder. What's easier to put in your pocket? That, with a thin weightless licence within, or a thick bulky phone? I rarely have a phone with me going out on local errands.

Don't carry a wallet, just a credit card holder. What's easier to put in your pocket? That, with a thin weightless licence within, or a thick bulky phone? I rarely have a phone with me going out on local errands.
I carry my phone everywhere with me, in rural America it can be a deadly decision if you don't.

On top of that you never know in time if a family emergency happens if you leave your phone at home. Phones are part of everyday life and everyday carry so much so that it is so normal that people don't even notice it in their pockets anymore.

I carry my phone everywhere with me, in rural America it can be a deadly decision if you don't.

On top of that you never know in time if a family emergency happens if you leave your phone at home. Phones are part of everyday life and everyday carry so much so that it is so normal that people don't even notice it in their pockets anymore.
Maybe 10 years ago when a phone was 4 or 5 inches long. Try and find a phone today less than 6 inches long. You have to take it out of your pocket just to sit down. What did people do before cellphones in family emergencies? Heck, most people here say they don't answer an unknown number, so if a doctor or policeman called, they wouldn't take the call anyway.

Maybe 10 years ago when a phone was 4 or 5 inches long. Try and find a phone today less than 6 inches long. You have to take it out of your pocket just to sit down. What did people do before cellphones in family emergencies? Heck, most people here say they don't answer an unknown number, so if a doctor or policeman called, they wouldn't take the call anyway.

I've got an iPhone SE and that's under 6 inches. I may not answer an unknown caller, but that's what voicemail is for. There's also texts where I'll see the message without needing to talk to anyone.

Iphone SE, Motorola Razr, Samsung Galaxy Flip among multiple other phones are very small.

What did people do before cellphones in family emergencies? didn't get to say goodbye to their loved ones as they were dying in a hospital bed.

This is as far as I can get on the procedure to take a photo. I mentioned that I can do a two finger thing where I can drag it all the way down and see the "START" button, but can't effectively tap it. I can get a screenshot though.

start.jpg

But once I release it snaps back to this point.

dmv_wallet.jpg

Get pants with bigger pockets.

This is as far as I can get on the procedure to take a photo. I mentioned that I can do a two finger thing where I can drag it all the way down and see the "START" button, but can't effectively tap it. I can get a screenshot though.

View attachment 176858

But once I release it snaps back to this point.

View attachment 176855
I have run into this issue on other websites on my iPhone. The way i solved it was to go into the safari search bar on the webpage you need to hit the start button on and press the icon of the two capital AA. Then press the negative screen zoom and make it like 85% or whatever and you should be able to scroll to the start or maybe make the webpage small enough to just see the whole thing on one page and hit the start button. Then you can change it back to 100% and go about your day. I know this is an app and not a website but maybe somewhere in the main iPhone settings there is a way to change the screen sizing maybe in the accessibility section. You could also try turning your phone sideways and maybe the app auto rotates?

I have run into this issue on other websites on my iPhone. The way i solved it was to go into the safari search bar on the webpage you need to hit the start button on and press the icon of the two capital AA. Then press the negative screen zoom and make it like 85% or whatever and you should be able to scroll to the start or maybe make the webpage small enough to just see the whole thing on one page and hit the start button. Then you can change it back to 100% and go about your day. I know this is an app and not a website but maybe somewhere in the main iPhone settings there is a way to change the screen sizing maybe in the accessibility section. You could also try turning your phone sideways and maybe the app auto rotates?

Finally got it to work. It was a matter of my use of larger than the default text size for apps that have dynamic text sizing. I had to change the text size (a slider setting) to the minimum in the Display & Brightness setting. Once I had that I could see the bottom of the DMW Wallet app and tap on START. But it’s a known issue where it’s not programmed to properly scroll if the whole thing doesn’t fit in one screen. There are several comments about it in the reviews, along with at least one acknowledgment by the developer.

08/18/2023​
Worthless
I set up the app created an account and now it will not let me capture a photo of my drivers license so this app is worthless at this time. It gives you tips on how to capture the photo and when you want to tap the NEXT button it won’t let you hit the next button because the next button is kind of hidden below the parameters of the screen. therefore, this DMV. Wallet is useless as proof of my drivers license because it will not let me put my drivers license picture in there.​
Developer Response,
We are looking into improving the usability during this pilot, Meanwhile please temporarily change the phone zoom to get access to the bottom section of some pages.​

I also tried text zoom, but that did nothing and I wasn’t sure how to get out, but then figured it was tapping with three fingers.

It actually took less than a couple of minutes once I got it to work. I had to give the app access to my cameras, place the front of my DL in camera view, then the back, and finally show my face to the front camera to show “liveness”. At no point did I tap to take a photo. It just moved on to the next step when it sampled what it needed. It then said I needed to wait for approval, but that only took a few seconds after I checked the status again.

It also had TrueAge verification, whatever that is. Haven’t tried it yet, but I see the same issue there with scrolling down due to text size. The mDL can pull up a one time QR code, which sounds like something that can be tapped into by TSA or other places to verify that my mobile DL is valid.

Back