Mobile 1 5W/30, 2642 miles, 2008 Mazdaspeed3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: tig1

*Maybe* he is referring to this (in)famous thread first started last summer?
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1920281&page=1

I would call that thread eye opening and informative. Assuming his info was the truth.

OT BUT *if* you are questioning the validity of the data in that thread you have hurt my feelings
31.gif
as I was the OP and FWIW it is the truth (in that I did not alter any of the #s).

And I should add that I don't find it impossible to get 3 different labs to do the same oil and get 3 different numbers. Different machines run by different companies. Even the same machine being run by different company could have different numbers. Its how they calibrated the machine and maintain it.

Its sorta the same as one engine doing fine and another having issues even though they are using the same products.

That is why I would not use a single UOA to change the world. Trending is important and verifies that a issue MAY be present.

Take care, Bill

So what oils are allowed under warranty in this engine? Can you use mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w30? I agree that a couple more oci's are needed in order to see which way everything is trending. I highly doubt M1 is killing this engine with so few miles on the oil and engine but who really knows.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
So what oils are allowed under warranty in this engine? Can you use mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w30? I agree that a couple more oci's are needed in order to see which way everything is trending. I highly doubt M1 is killing this engine with so few miles on the oil and engine but who really knows.

I'll stick to the 5W30 as recommended by Mazda, not sure which brand, though.

Wow, all this fighting. I retract my statements, and will agree with others that it's too early to call anything out. I do stand by the viscosity breakdown as being a real problem and potential point of failure. If anything we can tell from the UOA, if not engine wear rate and condition, that the particular grade of oil is not suitable for your application. I would certainly switch to something "non-starburst" for shear stability. When Mazda (or Subaru, or Mitusbishi) recommends 5w30 for their North American bound turbo's, I don't think they factored in the characteristics of our local market- where Energy Conserving Starburst oils dominate the 5w30 grade. Mazda Corporate might have had the idea that all 5w30's would be like their own Dexelia 5w30, which is not starburst energy conserving, and more of an A3 5w30. Sadly, here, you're going to have to look long and hard for an A3ish 5w30. This is where the owner needs to start making differentiations. If you really want to 'go by the book', look up the specifications of Mazda's Dexelia 5w30, and then try and find a suitable replacement. Note, that you'll probably be forced out of the 5w30 grade if shopping OTC, aside from the Redlines and European Formula 5w30s.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

Magnussen-Moss act, I believe allows you to use whatever you want within reason. Live I've said before, Mazda Corporate's idea of a suitable 5w30 may not be whats available in your specific market. The SAE grading system is largely flawed. There is a significant difference between GC 0w30 (a Euro oil) and M1 0w30 AFE, for instance, despite being SAE graded identically. Food for thought :)

I am in the sme situation and have not drained the FF yet but will soon.
M1 5W-30 HM, Castrol dino GTX, and syntec are good choices I think.
My xterra which calls for the same grade I opted for 0W-40 which is actually a thick 30 grade.

On the subject of "usefulness" of UOAs, I believe accuracy goes to that point, and it's worth noting when you see consistent results like this, even comparing to universal averages.

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

Various grades of Mobil 1 crash when fuel dilution is on the high end. That's been my observation for awhile now.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Looks great. Mobil 1 is the best!
thumbsup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Oh ...ooow..my back ..the pain ...oh, the tears. I can't stop ...oh my. Too much.

This is too unusual to even figure out how to approach the issue. I'd normally say do a series of short OCI's to assure that anything in the form of leftovers are out of there, but how much shorter can one get than 2500 miles?

It could point to a corrosive component to just plain sitting too long without use. This is a 2008 model and we're almost in the 2011 model year (I may have missed the explanation for the low miles in there somewhere).

As usual ..Tig never disappoints
55.gif
I love you, man!

Google shows lots of references to it. Some message board dialog seems to state that it was only on manual trans equipped units

It uses the Modine "Donut" cooler that many of us have come to know and love, but in a novel way. I've seen these on Ebay and wondered where the filter would go. Now I finally found out that the filter mount itself is sandwiched.

parts.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Please direct me to the links where (your words) "when you send in the same oil 3 different times, and all 3 times they send back a totally different report".

*Maybe* he is referring to this (in)famous thread first started last summer?
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1920281&page=1

I'm aware of that thread. And it is not what SHO38 described and based his post on.

Must have missed the data he is claiming so I am waiting for him to show us that link...

Thanks, bill

Bill I don't know what your problem is, but this is the end of it from me, the thread is posted there, if you clicked on it, that other folks were so nice to post up, you would see what I'm talking about

sure trending might be good, but then again some people get so bent out of shape over single digits it almost seems like to me.... like if u have a 9 iron value, and a 20 iron value on a different oil, its like people are on a witchcraft hunt trying to kill the people who make that oil. Why? over something so small and trivial, that in reality, the numbers can be so different from the same EXACT sample, both could be compltely wrong and not worth trusting your life over.... why would anyone bicker on the internet over stuff like this is beyond me

you sucked me in with your tractor beam bill, but this will be the last time

I only reply because you seem so insistant to hear my response to your inquiries

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
why would anyone bicker on the internet over stuff like this is beyond me

Truthfully? Because it pushes so many buttons so easily. If you just concede to the propensity (not looking for an argument), there's absolutely no where to go with it.

btw-I've had up to 5 identical samples tested over 5 labs and, while not identical, all tracked with each other very well. Different machinery and protocols produced different but contoured results. Like processes and protocols produced like results within a very narrow range.

Seeing that sorta stuff tends to reject statements that COULD be viewed as rationalizations or excuses.

Again, not looking for a continued argument, but many would be well served by truly treating it as trivial and ignoring it.

One byproduct of this whole thing is that Amsoil products aren't currently taking it on the chin. I can't say that I miss the love.

cheers3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Look how consistent these results are...

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

Even comparing to universal averages.

Accurate to 1ppm? Perhaps.

Does it have a oil cooler?
21.gif

I was incorrect, in my original response - this car does have a small oil cooler where the filter mounts as Audi Junkie and Gary Allan pointed out.

Last edited:
I'm new to this board...

I really appreciate all of the information and responses, but do many of the threads disintegrate into Brand battles and slightly off-topic bickering?

I guess you guys are really passionate about your oils!! :)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
thumbsup2.gif

This is too unusual to even figure out how to approach the issue. I'd normally say do a series of short OCI's to assure that anything in the form of leftovers are out of there, but how much shorter can one get than 2500 miles?

It could point to a corrosive component to just plain sitting too long without use. This is a 2008 model and we're almost in the 2011 model year (I may have missed the explanation for the low miles in there somewhere).

55.gif
I love you, man!

Good observation on the low miles...

I change the oil once a year because the car doesn't get driven very far. Lot's of short trips to work and back, unfortunately. I know it's hard on the car, so I try to take longer highway trips when I can, but most of the miles are in town miles.

Oil change history on the car:
1st oil change @ 1300 miles
2nd change @ 5604 miles
3rd change @ 8246 miles

I did the analysis this time because I had noticed a gas smell in the oil and an increase in the oil level.

Last edited:
I'm new to this board...

I really appreciate all of the information and responses, but do many of the threads disintegrate into Brand battles and slightly off-topic bickering?

I guess you guys are really passionate about your oils!! :)

Yes and Yes!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
thumbsup2.gif

55.gif
I love you, man!

Good observation on the low miles...

I change the oil once a year because the car doesn't get driven very far. Lot's of short trips to work and back, unfortunately. I know it's hard on the car, so I try to take longer highway trips when I can, but most of the miles are in town miles.

Oil change history on the car:
1st oil change @ 1300 miles
2nd change @ 5604 miles
3rd change @ 8246 miles

I did the analysis this time because I had noticed a gas smell in the oil and an increase in the oil level.

The Modine "Donut" (or Long equivalent) oil cooler is a brass/copper item. I would probably peg this as the source of your Cu. It would probably be down on the noise floor with usage that was more typical.

I wouldn't really sweat it. At the current usage rate ...even accelerated wear (poor word to use here) still only adds up to so much over x number of years.

I don't know the chemistry of various oils intimately enough to say which would have a superior level of anti-oxidants.

As much as I resist anything en vogue, I would probably recommend trying another synthetic fluid for this application. I don't care if it's an Amsoil product or not, but I feel (an opinion) that M1 uses some (normally minor) corrosive seating process in its AW package. This is what probably (another opinion) produces the slightly higher Fe readings in some applications.

..but there may be no true remedy for this unusual usage profile in terms of UOA indicators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back