Mobil1 vs Fram Ultra vs Bosch D+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always run Mobil-1 filters because I could purchase them at an Advance Auto that was close by.

But they recently opened a WalMart that is reasonably close. I notice that they have Fram Ultras, and Bosch D+.

So I am wondering if I should stick with Mobil1 or perhaps switch over to one of the two that WalMart carries.

I am also no longer bound by AAP's oil change specials, and waiting for the Mobil oil/filter specials, since I can now go to WalMart.

I like the FU because it is fully synthetic, and is wire-backed. I believe the Bosch and M1 and synthetic blends, and not backed. I like the fact that fully synthetic has great flow properties.

But both the Bosch and Mobil1 seem to be more cleanly manufactured - better fit-and-finish.

Any opinions?

I would order (a couple) Mobil 1 filters from Amazon and get free shipping.

I think Mobil 1 and Bosch D+ are both better made products.

From my reading a synthetic blend may be better than pure synthetic because the non synthetic part of the blend can absorb whereas the pure synthetic cannot. But I have done no testing of that theory. Amsoil which I consider a gold standard is 100% synthetic media. But is all synthetic media considered equal. I assume no.

I wasn't overly impressed with the M1 filter I cut open... nothing really wrong but for the money I expected to be like "wow that is nice" but wasn't....
wink.gif

I think the Ultra is a Best Buy - I cannot stand the sure grip, but I seem to be in the minority.

The D+ is a very nice filter but it is pretty expensive even at Walmart Pricing...

For the same money I'd pick the D+ over the M1, and if you don't want or need to use a filter wrench on it, by all means the Ultra.

Everyday price being used as main reference, unless you can get either the M1 or the BD+ for significantly less ($5-6, but not likely) than ~$9 WM everyday price for the Ultra, that's the choice of the three listed. Your info regarding each filter is accurate, except any difference there might or might not be in flow is not significant in pc use.

But, if you are choosing any of the three for ocis regularly < 10k mi. oci, another reputable less expensive silicone adbv filter would be more appropriate imo.

of the three, the Ultra is reputed to be the more efficient. Unless you're doing extended OCI's, the P-1 would be a best buy IMO.

+1
Unless the OP is really extending drains, a P1 would be a good choice.
He can probably look forward to a $5.00 online deal from AAP and he can always use an AAP coupon code to lower the price.
Of course, he could also buy M1 or D+ filters from AAP using a coupon code and Purolator/Bosch may offer a MIR deal this spring as they sometimes have in the past.
Between AAP coupon codes and the MIR, I got a nice stash of D+ filters for around $3.50 each net.

For the price of some of these OTC filters you can run OEM filters for less or equal money so why not do that?

I get OEM filters shipped to me for about $5 a filter with free shipping.

Just curious.

Jeff

Last edited:
I noticed that both the Fram and Bosch are made in the USA. Not sure about the M1. To me, that is a factor. I like to support US manufacturing.

M1 filters are out dated IMO. Fram Ultras are have full synthetic media (unlike the synthetic blend in the M1) and are priced much better than the M1.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
For the price of some of these OTC filters you can run OEM filters for less or equal money so why not do that?

Jeff

In spite of their large amount of media, Toyota OEM oil filters are reputed to be not very efficient.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
+1
Of course, he could also buy M1 or D+ filters from AAP using a coupon code and Purolator/Bosch may offer a MIR deal this spring as they sometimes have in the past.
Between AAP coupon codes and the MIR, I got a nice stash of D+ filters for around $3.50 each net.

What is an MIR deal? I did know about the AAP coupon codes, and can get the Bosch down to about $10. I was thinking about buying enough to get free shipping.

Originally Posted By: Donald

From my reading a synthetic blend may be better than pure synthetic because the non synthetic part of the blend can absorb whereas the pure synthetic cannot. But I have done no testing of that theory. Amsoil which I consider a gold standard is 100% synthetic media. But is all synthetic media considered equal. I assume no.

But are the Amsoil as efficient as the Bosch and Mobil1?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fi...code=EA15K51-EA

MIR=Mail in Reabte
You're also right about Japanese OEM filters.
They usually favor flow over filtration and I've avoided them for that reason. They seem to be nothing special.
OTOH, after break-in, there isn't much for an oil fliter to filter out.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

I get OEM filters shipped to me for about $5 a filter with free shipping.

Just curious.

Jeff

I think there are filters that are better than OEM.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: Donald

But are the Amsoil as efficient as the Bosch and Mobil1?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fi...code=EA15K51-EA

The M1 is listed as having 98.7 percent at 20 microns efficiency. Nothing super spectacular (the Purolator Classic is rated the same), but it is up there much better than Toyota OEM.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I wasn't overly impressed with the M1 filter I cut open... nothing really wrong but for the money I expected to be like "wow that is nice" but wasn't....
wink.gif

I think the Ultra is a Best Buy - I cannot stand the sure grip, but I seem to be in the minority.

What don't you like about the grip?

So I just bought 8 Fram Ultras (4 for each car) online at AAP. Using coupon code TRT37, the unit cost is $6.49. It is in-store pickup, so there is no shipping.

That gets the price down to a P1. Of course, you could buy the P1 using TRT37....and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back