Subaru OEM vs. M1 vs Fram Ultra vs. Fram Endurance for Subaru 2.5 DI (2023) and 2.5 PI (2013)

The Toko Roki is a good filter but you need a filter cup wrench which is an odd ball size 66.5mm which is not available in local stores.
A universal wrench will remove it but on the ring of fire engines you really need the cup (anyone that has one knows why). The ones that fit the wix and others are a little too small. This one fits them perfectly.

Trav, will this fit the Toko Roki 15208AA160 (black one, not the blue dealer 15/15a) filter. I don’t have the filter at this time to measure.

Last edited:
Trav, will this fit the Toko Roki 15208AA160 (black one, not the blue dealer 15/15a) filter. I don’t have the filter at this time to measure.
I don't have one to check but AFAIK it is the same only longer. Unless the engine has the "ring of fire" shielding on the cat it is no problem to remove with a regular oil filter wrench and instal by hand.

Trav, Thanks for the info. Going to check the filter size tomorrow for sure. I have that Lisle one, in fact I have about 12 different caps sizes and pliers and such for removals. I do oil changes for relatives and others and 1 does have that Subaru with the darn filter between the manifolds---I usually let it cool first. Thanks again

These technical discussions are great. But operation and effect on the engine will never been known (by us) My 2008 had 275K miles on when I last heard from it and in all that time I doubt it had even 6 high bypass filters on it. I'll take the high efficiency every day of the week and weekends. If the filter bypassed half the time ..so what?? My last 3 subarus have had nothing but Fram Ultra/Titanium.

Reactions: twX
I have no idea why either but I accept the manufacturer didn't pull the spec out of a lottery ticket drum for the fun of having people run around trying to buy the correct filter. Wix does set their pressure at spec, it may have something to with the oiling in the heads, time spent driving in around own with lots of idle time but as you say who knows. I do know that even on Subaru spin on transmission filter it really makes a difference in shifting, the OE is basically just a bypass filter, it has no bypass valve.

Do you have any data on the difference it makes running a non OE spec filter? I don't so I use what they spec for it. A lot of people over the years have used a qt of snake oil with every oil change and claimed no issues for hundreds of thousands that doesnt mean anyone else should.

Back