Mobil1 Filter Design Change

I went into AAP and pick up an OC and I was getting a Mobil1 oil filter and I noticed there were two different boxes for the same filter. I opened them up and noticed that the design of the two was different. Both of them were M1 110A, but the base plate was different and the body on one of them was slightly taller and slightly fatter. I asked the 'parts professional' if this was an updated can, and of course, I got an answer back of 'they all are the same'. I even took him other there and showed him the difference, to which he shrugged. So, BITOGER's have yall noticed this?

A long time ago in a far away land, parts counter people tended to be wizened old mechanics. They had become too seasoned to continue working on cars so they generously shared their invaluable experience with lesser mortals about parts, pieces and the Zen of auto mechanics.

Imagine Obi-Wan Kenobi tutoring Luke Skywalker but there is no sequel.

A long time ago in a far away land, parts counter people tended to be wizened old mechanics. They had become too seasoned to continue working on cars so they generously shared their invaluable experience with lesser mortals about parts, pieces and the Zen of auto mechanics.

Imagine Obi-Wan Kenobi tutoring Luke Skywalker but there is no sequel.

The Four key words..............

In the normal consumer world, manufactures can make design changes and not update the part number - that happens most of the time. There are no real configuration control rules in the consumer world. Sometimes they do change the part number, but most of the time they don't because they don't have to, and it saves them a lot of work that way.

Did they look like this:

IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3988.JPG
IMG_3991.JPG

Did they look like this:
The other ones on the shelf looked like those, but the one I choose had different holes for the oil flow and had ALOT more of them.

Yes! These are the two different ones. I figured someone else had run across this too!

Who makes them now? Did they go China/overseas like many of the others?
Yep, I emailed them about ten days ago with question about beta ratio and the reply came from Mann Hummel say they would not disclose that info. Interesting considering Wix who is also owned by them provides the same with info. Go figure?

M+H will reply for their own brands (Wix, Purolator), but not for brands they don't own (Hyundai, Carquest, Mobil 1). I am surprised to see Mobil 1 move away from Champion Labs though.

Yep, I emailed them about ten days ago with question about beta ratio and the reply came from Mann Hummel say they would not disclose that info. Interesting considering Wix who is also owned by them provides the same with info. Go figure?

It's pretty hilarious when a filter manufacturer claims their filter's efficiency is "proprietary" or "secret" and can't tell the consumer what it is. :ROFLMAO:

Back