Mobil1 10W30, 9000 miles, 2000 Dakota 3.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

My fathers truck.

He does a lot of towing, short trips with a few longer ones thrown in. He used to do a LOT of driving for work, now not so much. Still, this oil is over a year old and has some hard work on it.

This is pretty much a typical run for him, between 7000 and 10000, at least one year. He always uses Mobil1 10W30.

Truck still runs great, but I'm glad he got a UOA! Has about 120,000 miles on the truck.

I added some VSOT at around 7000 miles since I knew he wasn't going to change it anytime soon. Also got a few ounces of LC in about 500 miles before he changed it.

G

[ June 01, 2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: GarrettSocling ]

Definately not good. A year is a long time, especially with short trips thrown in. M1 is not saving him here.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Definately not good. A year is a long time, especially with short trips thrown in. M1 is not saving him here.

Mobil 1could normally take this kind of milage/abuse and time on oil. But this is beyond what Mobil 1 could handle (as mentioned) I would in no way fault Mobil 1 here.

Say ..that's some impressive Fe you got there (visions of T2 "Say, that's a nice bike").

That's so outta whack ..where do you start? I can't imagine viscosity altering a UOA to the degree that you need. Other metals are high too ..but I wouldn't even know what could bring that down.

Hmm..I wonder if the SynLube Oil Treatment is pulling a MEGA RedLine on you (yes, this is way out there). It would appear that you had a decent amount of uptake (or depleation).

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

Mobil 1could normally take this kind of milage/abuse and time on oil. But this is beyond what Mobil 1 could handle (as mentioned) I would in no way fault Mobil 1 here.

That's just what I'm saying. Even spending the money on M1 isn't going to save you from a poor OCI.

-T

I can't quite figure out what he did that caused so much iron wear either.

I'll be adding more VSOT. What is a 'MEGA Redline'?

For being more than twice the miles, the (roughly) twice the wear for the other metals doesn't jump out at me. The iron is crazy.

I'll try to get him to take a sample (change filter / 1 qt) at 5000 and we'll see what is going on then, if wear looks better, etc etc.

I hope he is considering doing some short intervals for the next to or three changes ...I would want to get that iron out of there!

Interesting. I would not have guessed the Fe to be so high - except - the short trip driving and the age of the oil. I'll bet he got some iron oxide formation in a few spots more than once.

Not sure how much the VSOT treatment helped....the Pb from the towing, maybe.

Well at least the oil didn't thicken too much
smile.gif

Rinse and go now.

The silicon is elevated, could there be dirt ingestion? Might want to check plumbing and change the air filter if it has been awhile. I would go up a grade maybe to M1 5w-40 T&SUV since he does towing. Is the sodium anything to worry about? This looks like a job for Terry.

Okay. Let's get some facts straight.
1. M1 has not failed me at all. After 100K, I'm tired of looking at a truck.
2. I always change twice a year - spring & fall. I used to drive 30K per year so that put 15,000 on the oil.
3. While I've done some short trips (25 miles. Up to last year, I would do a couple 100+ per week.
4. The last truck was a Dodge that lived the same life and had 150k+, used no oil and ran like new last time I saw it. Before that was a Chevy and it was the same. Four trucks back was a Dodge van with a Mitsubishi engine. That one was junk. It couldn't take it. If it can't take it, I don't want it.
wink.gif

5. I don't think I added even a full quart of make-up. I topped it off a couple times with a cup or two.
6. And finally, while ramping onto a highway this morning, I ran it to 5 grand in 3rd. It pulled better than it did at 10,000 miles. As I told Garrett, it's just getting broken in!

Glad your happy with it, but as UOAs go this one is not good. That doesn't mean that all of you OCIs went the same way, nor does it mean that the engine is going to blow up.

-T

Den the dad your iron is nearly 10x the universal average compared to engines of the same type. It should be a little higher than universal average since you did an extended drain, but not 10x. You might want to consult Terry Dyson.

I'd say you are ingesting a fair amount of dirt, hence the high silicon, aluminum (alumina) and sodium levels. These dirt particles are causing abrasive wear of your intake and exhaust valves, which are made of stainless steel. This would explain the elevated chrome and nickel.

Following the normal intake path, the dirt is then getting into the crankcase after it gouges your ferrous cylinder walls. In addition,it has basically removed nearly all the moly anti-friction coating from your rings at this point. Either that, or the VSOT contains a nice dollop of MoDTC? Perhaps a bit of both....

Oil is not the issue here, rather it is one of inadequate filtration and/or a fairly sizable intake leak. Fix that issue and the problem will go away, although it will take several oil changes for a normal wear pattern to be re-established.

TS

Garret,

This oil starts out at 10.0 cSt, and thickened to a 12.26, almost 40 weight territory, this engine may be hard on oil.

Tin and Nickel are higher then your typical UOA, Silicon appears to be causing wear in the Valve Train.

Reducing the oil change interval is not going to fix the problem and neither will additives.

Check over your air filtration system really well. Make sure you have a reasonably clean oem style paper filter that fits the airbox tightly and check for any possible leaks.

Just trying to reinforce what Ted was saying to you. You're sucking in a lot of dirt and needs to be fixed.

If nothing is obvious and you can't isolate the problem, Terry Dyson is the man.

[ June 03, 2005, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Dennis pulled the air filter, it had 14,000 miles on it and looked fine. The backside was clean, and no obvious points where contamination was being funneled through a tear or evidence of poor fitment. I'll go over the rest of the intake again.

Would the fact that this oil change was the first that any additives have ever been used change anything? I added about 1/2 of a bottle of VSOT a couple thousand miles ago, and a few ounces of LC maybe 500 or so miles ago. Could they have changed the chemistry of the oil, or 'knocked' loose some gunge which might have been high in iron?

I'll be very interested in seeing what the next UOA looks like.

What kind of oil filter are you running? If the filter failed that could explain the high wear numbers. For you oci I recommend a good filer like mobil 1, amsoil or K&N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back