Mobil1 0W40 or mix 10w30/15w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooopss...sorry Patman.

Yeah you can try Delvac. I've tried both. The problem with Delvac though is you can only get it in 4L containers and it's $36 + 15%. If you need to top up, it's off buying a 4L container again...use 1/2L and you have just over ~3/4 of the container sitting there on the shelf...you may or may/not be able to use up at a future date. So, it's nice to have the option of purchaseing 1L bottles as required.

TooSlick,

I dug up the 0w40 Noack number on the Mobil global web site: It's 8.8%. I haven't been able to find the Noack numbers for the 10w30.

Patman, I checked that MB dealership and they don't have the 0W-40. They use Quaker State 5W-40 Synthetic
rolleyes.gif
in the cars they service.

Oil consumption did increase somewhat with M1 0W40 in my 'trusty tester' Mazda turbo but that was before I discovered Auto-Rx. May try Supersyn version someday when it finaaly arrives here.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The Noack volatility for the M1, 0w-40 is going to be significantly higher than for their 10w-30. Your oil consumption may actually go up with the 0w-40 in a mechanically sound engine.

Do you have some numbers to back this statement up or is this just your opinion? The 0w40 is an ACEA A3 rated oil, which means it will have a Noack rating of less than or equal to 13%. The 10w30 is an A5 rated oil, which carries the same Noack requirement of less than or equal to 13%.

Given that the 0w40 has more ester in the base oil blend, I'd be willing to bet that its Noack numbers are BETTER than the Mobil 1 10w30.

How do you know it has more esters? The wider viscosity spread almost always leads to higher volatility. This is true both in theory and in practice (i.e. higher oil consumption). It has certainly been true in my vehicle, having used both Mobil 1 5W30 and 0W40, the latter requiring 1/2 quart of oil over 5K and the former none.

I too had increased oil consuption with 0W40 over 5W30, but my engine started leaking more. Until the leak started at around 3k, I had used none of the 0W40. I'm wondering if the formulation of 0W40 is more similar to the original synthetics, which tended to cause leaks.

Quick_lude, there are no Autozones within walking distance of Cobo Hall; as another poster mentioned it's right in the middle of downtown.
frown.gif

Also, FWIW, my turbo Miata uses oil in the second half of the oil change interval; seems to do it less with my summer/track day blend of 50/50 M1 10w30/15w50.

I too have considered using D1 but am a little hesitant because of the few posters that say that 'HDD oils lead to higher incidence of deposit formation when used in passenger cars.' How can someone prove/disprove this?

Luck,
Robert

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
TooSlick,

I dug up the 0w40 Noack number on the Mobil global web site: It's 8.8%. I haven't been able to find the Noack numbers for the 10w30.

Where did you find those? The one I found said 10.5%. And it was dated 1996. Neither matter anyway because the global oils are not the same as in the US.

Jason, I found the same pages. The '96 10.5 threw me but the 8.8 was in Australia/petrol engine oils dated 10/02. It's a different product number so there's no telling if that's just a marketing thing or real product difference. Still nothing on the 10W30 for NOACK.

dunno.gif

David

Wow, did I ever started a heated debate.
lol.gif

So do you guys think that I actually might burn/use more with the 0w40 over the 10w30? Like I said I like the 0w40 because how it's designed for the "severe"
dunno.gif
European market.. I'm pretty sure my style of driving (high constant rpm on hwy, a lot of trips to redline) suits this oil... I guess only a practical test can answer this, will post results in the spring/summer.
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Neither matter anyway because the global oils are not the same as in the US.

Actually, the Mobil 1 0w40 is Mobil's one "global" formula which is the same worldwide. It is the only oil sold in the U.S. that meets the most stringent European and U.S. gasoline engine performance standards.

But their Global spec for 0W40 is from '96, the U.S. spec doesn't show NOACK, and the Australian/Petrol spec from 2002 shows different performance than the U.S. SuperSyn version.

Like I said,
dunno.gif

If it's a marketing/webmaster thing fine, but they aren't making this simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back