Mobil1 0w16 AFE 5015 miles, '07 Dodge Dakota 3.7L

Excellent discussion y'all. This is "gettin' real about motor oil."

Re OVERKILL's new post with various very thin motor oils, I would like to add in three variables, on my 12k mile run with HPL PP 0W8 in my former Insight. The engine was becoming more broken in, the ester plating was in play, and my driving was more spirited (vs previous mild hypermiling.) All else was quite consistent.
I replaced the Mobil 1 with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20. The manual recommends 5w20
Sure, but I'm not attempting to be precise, here. The data doesn't allow precision. I'm just saying that that the 0-16 in the OP's 0-20 spec'd truck with 98000 miles on it appears too thin in his application. I think half the posters on this thread agree that the 0-16 is too thin in this example. The Op is now going thicker, is he not? JMO
I replaced the Mobil 1 with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20. The manual calls for 5w20.

Reactions: FZ1
I replaced the Mobil 1 with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20. The manual recommends 5w20

I replaced the Mobil 1 with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20. The manual calls for 5w20.
Good call. The PUP 0-20 is an 8.8 starting vis. I've got 2 jugs next up in my '17 Camry. I'll compare it to M1 0-20 AFE, also 8.8 vis, my current favorite . Will report if I notice differences in the 2 oils.

I expect you'll see similar viscosity loss to what you saw before with that lubricant. Would you mind using a different lab this time around so we can get a better idea as to the actual amount of fuel you are seeing in your oil?

As I said earlier, I don't see anything that stands out as worrisome in this report. Despite the nail biting with respect to going thinner and the fact that I personally wouldn't recommend doing so, I think we need to remember that a 0w-16 is extremely close in viscosity to a 0w-20, and in fact, the range occupied by 0w-16 and 0w-12 was previously part of the xW-20 range in the first place. What's the difference between a shear stable/resistant 0w-16 that stays in grade and a 0w-20 that shears down to be in the same range? Something to ponder, as even the HTHS limits for the two lubes is extremely close and a 0w-16 with an HTHS of 2.5cP is still a 0w-16, so how much heavier is a 0w-20 with an HTHS of 2.6cP?

I expect you'll see similar viscosity loss to what you saw before with that lubricant. Would you mind using a different lab this time around so we can get a better idea as to the actual amount of fuel you are seeing in your oil?

As I said earlier, I don't see anything that stands out as worrisome in this report. Despite the nail biting with respect to going thinner and the fact that I personally wouldn't recommend doing so, I think we need to remember that a 0w-16 is extremely close in viscosity to a 0w-20, and in fact, the range occupied by 0w-16 and 0w-12 was previously part of the xW-20 range in the first place. What's the difference between a shear stable/resistant 0w-16 that stays in grade and a 0w-20 that shears down to be in the same range? Something to ponder, as even the HTHS limits for the two lubes is extremely close and a 0w-16 with an HTHS of 2.5cP is still a 0w-16, so how much heavier is a 0w-20 with an HTHS of 2.6cP?
Sure, I could try a different lab. I thought about replacing the Mobil 1 with Pennzoil Platinum 0w16, but that was nearly $50 for a 5-quart jug.

Sure, I could try a different lab. I thought about replacing the Mobil 1 with Pennzoil Platinum 0w16, but that was nearly $50 for a 5-quart jug.
OK, thank you for being so open for suggestion. I'd recommend Polaris/OAI. You can buy the kits through the AMSOIL website, or probably directly from Polaris. I find the AMSOIL site convenient.

Well, that makes it easy then, hahhaha.
Yes I was hoping in some way they’d be cheaper but it just sent me straight to amsoil so I guess that will be one reason I keep my pc account being that with price increases amsoil no longer seems feasible or logical to choose

Oh BITOG you never disappoint. We see a report showing that going with a thinner oil in this application gave favorable results and many of the responses are still to the effect of "I can't believe you ran that water in your engine".

Data be darned! What I've known forever cannot be wrong!

Oh BITOG you never disappoint. We see a report showing that going with a thinner oil in this application gave favorable results and many of the responses are still to the effect of "I can't believe you ran that water in your engine".

Data be darned! What I've known forever cannot be wrong!
Known what forever? That an isolated UOA does not indicate comparative oil performance? A UOA does not give that kind of data.

Known what forever? That an isolated UOA does not indicate comparative oil performance? A UOA does not give that kind of data.
I was being sarcastic implying that thick oil is superior in all ways and that thin oils will ruin your engine. The classic old man theory here.

But an oil with a higher HT/HS is in fact superior in all ways except for fuel economy.
Right, and unlike most people you have deeper knowledge of the topic. I don't dispute at all that in a lab, and scientifically higher HTHS and thicker viscosity to some point can give lower wear.

My opinion is that these things are largely irrelevant in normal use to us as consumers and users of vehicles. And none of us on this forum have a true scientific way to prove otherwise reliably.

interesting, glad everything held up well. Definitely could have gone south. You looking to really drag out extra mpg’s.

interesting, glad everything held up well. Definitely could have gone south. You looking to really drag out extra mpg’s.

How much possible oil pumping loss can there be with the original spec 5w30 vs a thinner oil? I don’t think it’s smart to improve a vehicle’s efficiency by thinning out the oil in search of a 1% increase in gas mileage.

Straight internal combustion engines are pretty much maxed out and have been for a while, hence why engines haven’t changed since the dawn of time. 40mpg in an econobox is just about the best you can get in 2022 and it’s been like that for several decades. It’s like they do it on purpose. 😒

How much possible oil pumping loss can there be with the original spec 5w30 vs a thinner oil? I don’t think it’s smart to improve a vehicle’s efficiency by thinning out the oil in search of a 1% increase in gas mileage.

Straight internal combustion engines are pretty much maxed out and have been for a while, hence why engines haven’t changed since the dawn of time. 40mpg in an econobox is just about the best you can get in 2022 and it’s been like that for several decades. It’s like they do it on purpose. 😒
My wifes 2020 Sentra pulled off a remarkable 47.9mpg highway backroad trip with ac on low. Running 0w20 supertech. My 22 rav has 0w16 factory fill still and I dont see 0w16 going back in I'm going with 0w20

@Schandyman — a one time everything went in your favor trip isn’t what I’m talking about. I’m talking about average numbers that the vehicle is suppose to produce on a daily basis for all owners.

Back