Mobil1 0w16 AFE 5015 miles, '07 Dodge Dakota 3.7L

For one thing it’s a Blackstone report. There is no reliable way to tell if a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution. More so, Blackstone has also shown they cannot reliably measure viscosity so you’ve got two issues with ascribing something on that report to any one problem. As Overkill noted, there is very little VII in that oil and it’s these molecules that exhibit shear not the oil. Oil molecules do not shear.
I've done many Blackstone UOA's over the years and I've never once seen what I'd call an outlier on viscosity. I also saw one where they did a second test on a sample and it came out nearly exactly the same, or certainly close enough for my satisfaction. I don't think they are as bad as some think.

I do not follow you around. And I never said it was worthless like you posted.
You said, "TBN is slowly becoming less relevant." That is implying that it is worthless. If that is not what you were intending to convey, then please explain the importance or lack thereof for TBN a bit better. I genuinely want to know. If it is no longer relevant as you say, then I don't want to use it as a determining factor in oil choice.

I've done many Blackstone UOA's over the years and I've never once seen what I'd call an outlier on viscosity. If they were so bad, or inaccurate, I'm sure I would have seen one here or there.
We’ve seen it many times here. How are you making the determination they are correct? We’ve seen multiple UOA that put the oil outside a grade designation where upon retest by a different lab are within spec.

We’ve seen it many times here. How are you making the determination they are correct? We’ve seen multiple UOA that put the oil outside a grade designation where upon retest by a different lab are within spec.
So you assume the other lab was correct? I'm going by my own experience. I've never seen an outlier. Not once. I know we've seen a couple posted that had inconsistencies with others, but the assumption is always made that the other is correct. Emphasis on assumption.

There certainly is the possibility of error, but to suggest the other labs don't have that possibility is reflective of assumption.

You said, "TBN is slowly becoming less relevant." That is implying that it is worthless. If that is not what you were intending to convey, then please explain the importance or lack thereof for TBN a bit better. I genuinely want to know. If it is no longer relevant as you say, then I don't want to use it as a determining factor in oil choice.
Yes I did say that. But you said “worthless” which is entirely different. TBN is becoming less relevant due to cleaner fuel and better engines, that’s what I mean. Plus TAN (or AN) is a somewhat better designator of the overall oil condition.

Yes I did say that. But you said “worthless” which is entirely different. TBN is becoming less relevant due to cleaner fuel and better engines, that’s what I mean. Plus TAN (or AN) is a somewhat better designator of the overall oil condition.

So are you assuming that the poster saying it thinned then started to thicken is correct? I see no reason to doubt the TBN.

You didn't answer my question. Please explain the importance or lack thereof for TBN a bit better. I genuinely want to know. If it is no longer relevant as you say, then I don't want to use it as a determining factor in oil choice.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. However, if that is the case, then please don't come in to my posts and tell me TBN is becoming less relevant. I get it. You think that. There is not reason to keep repeating it to me. If you can't explain why, then I don't care what you think.

You didn't answer my question. Please explain the importance or lack thereof for TBN a bit better. I genuinely want to know. If it is no longer relevant as you say, then I don't want to use it as a determining factor in oil choice.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. However, if that is the case, then please don't come in to my posts and tell me TBN is becoming less relevant. I get it. You think that. There is not reason to keep repeating it to me. If you can't explain why, then I don't care what you think.
That article explains it very well how TBN is becoming less relevant, and I noted cleaner fuel as well as better engine design and construction. Did you read the article?

That article explains it very well how TBN is becoming less relevant, and I noted cleaner fuel as well as better engine design and construction. Did you read the article?
But there was nothing in this particular oil report that indicates the oil is less than serviceable. Nothing at all. By this data, it looked fine and looked like it could go further, easily. Anything said otherwise is nothing more than speculation.

But there was nothing in this particular oil report that indicates the oil is less than serviceable. Nothing at all. By this data, it looked fine and looked like it could go further, easily. Anything said otherwise is nothing more than speculation.
Fine, what I originally responded to was that any viscosity deviation that might be observed was unable to be conclusively ascribed to mechanical shear. That’s all.

Fine, what I originally responded to was that any viscosity deviation that might be observed was unable to be conclusively ascribed to mechanical shear. That’s all.
Agreed. All I'm saying is that according to the only data we have, the oil is in fine shape.

I'm not rushing out to go below the recommended grades for any of my engines, but I think with up to 80% PAO, thin as it may be, it appears to be able to hold its own in an application for which it was not intended.

I haven't seen this here once, let alone many times. Can you post any links? Granted, I haven't been on here that long.

Back