Mobil Supersyn revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

And yes, Mobil 1 sypersyn uses metallic additization as always, including moly..

Geoge,

Do you mean that Mobil 1 Tri also has moly, or are you just referring to SS having moly ever since it was "accidentally" discovered?

Regards,

Oz

dragboat,

I stocked up on 10 quarts of Chevron while Wally World had it in stock, good thing....they are sold out again. The "new" Halvoline also looks very good, the specs are identical to Chevron and it's more available in the eastern part of the U.S.

Now if only the stores would stock the Texaco/Chevron version on the shelf instead of the Shell product I would be all set.

Chevron is my first choice for Dino oil, but now at least I can have a backup plan (Halvoline or Mobil)
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
I apologize if I sound like a salesman but the Mobil Drive Clean automotive oil really is a great mineral based oil, relatively high additization levels and super base stock. It is not marketed well at all by Mobi IMHOl but I have seen the oil horrendously abused in service trucks and it hangs right in there. And it is one of the lowest cost PVEO oils at Autozone, etc. A real sleeper.. If Castrol marketed this oil it would be a super seller indeed...

Now that exxonmobil have those neat looking new bottles i've seen a lot more leaving the shelves. People here in western PA are still gung-ho pennzoil though.

quote:

Originally posted by Brad:
dragboat,

I stocked up on 10 quarts of Chevron while Wally World had it in stock, good thing....they are sold out again. The "new" Halvoline also looks very good, the specs are identical to Chevron and it's more available in the eastern part of the U.S.

Now if only the stores would stock the Texaco/Chevron version on the shelf instead of the Shell product I would be all set.

Chevron is my first choice for Dino oil, but now at least I can have a backup plan (Halvoline or Mobil)
smile.gif

Here in Dallas, all the Wal-Mart stores have the Equilon (sp?) Havoline. I figured it was because it was distributed out of Houston. The ohter day I was in Target and found the Chevron/Texaco Havoline there at 94 (or was it 88) cents a quart. I considered using it, but I think it's a Group II oil and I'd rather go with a Group II+ oil and help support Johnny's kids through college
grin.gif

Johnny, Big D is pretty good. Suprisingly, we are (so far) having a fairly mild summer. It's the middle of August and we've only had (officially) 2 or so 100* days. We even got some rain last night and my yar is still green
grin.gif

Chris A: Thanks for your support. With what my kid is spending, you better buy a truckload of it.
grin.gif

I lived in Dallas for 40 years. How is Big D these days.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:

quote:

And yes, Mobil 1 sypersyn uses metallic additization as always, including moly..

Geoge,

Do you mean that Mobil 1 Tri also has moly, or are you just referring to SS having moly ever since it was "accidentally" discovered?

Regards,

Oz

The 5w30 virgin sample of SuperSyn shows no moly in it. Although a 15w50 sample posted on here showed a little bit (about 60ppm) but that's probably not enough to do any good.

NEWSFLASH!!!

The Texaco Havoline synthetic being sold here in atlanta, ga is no longer made by Equilon!!! I checked the back of the bottle again and it said, "Made by ChevronTexaco", somewhere in California I believe. and its still only $3.30/qt!!

THere were three bottles left on the shelf the were made by Equilon(now Shell Oil Products USA). It seems that Autozone was dumping them off the shelves as I saw them in a basket w/ a bunch of other oil going backt o the manufacturer (i.e. Exxon Superflow int he old bottle.)

Also, on the Equilon website they claim that Shell US has bought the Pennzoil-Quaker State company! Is this right Johnny? Ill find the link later on.

Chris,
How can it be a group III with a -47 F pour point and a 496 Flash point? 10/30

The highest flash I have seen in any minral oil is the Pennzoil straight 40wt @ 455F- the 30 wt @ 450 F

Not arguing with you,I am just really interested in this oil and would like to find out for sure what it is not that I will use it,just interested

I had looked up the MSDS but did not pay attention to the date (2/02). Looking at it again, I see that the flash point stated is only 440*, so it's an old MSDS.

So now I have the opinion that maybe it is and maybe it isn't
grin.gif

Thanks for making me dig a little deeper.

dragboat,

The Petro Canada, 5w-40, group III synthetic has a pour point of -60F, as does the new Amsoil XL-7500, 5w-30, Group III oil. It really depends on the molecular weight and viscosity index of the basestock they are using. As for the flash point, it really doesn't tell you much ...I'd look at the Noack volatility for some clue as to whether it is PAO or Group III based ....

Ted

Chris,Ted and all,I confirmed via telephone the Texaco Synthetic is a group III ans they have no immediate plans for a PAO oil. Chevron included.

Maybe Dutch Shell will push the new EOP oil?

Not dissing Mobil but there is room for more than on OTC PAO or other Synthetic IMO.

Speaking of Mobil,looks as if the Drive Clean SL has Moly
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
We need to get a Drive Clean virgin analysis done to verify that moly content! Any takers?
smile.gif

I think dragboat either has a kit with virgin Drive Clean's name on it or has already sent it off. Judging by his post above, he may have already gotten it back.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Chris,Ted and all,I confirmed via telephone the Texaco Synthetic is a group III ans they have no immediate plans for a PAO oil. Chevron included.

Maybe Dutch Shell will push the new EOP oil?

Not dissing Mobil but there is room for more than on OTC PAO or other Synthetic IMO.

Speaking of Mobil,looks as if the Drive Clean SL has Moly
cool.gif

dragboat,

Would you mind sharing your baseline results for Drive Clean? As the link in my analysis spreadsheet below shows, I have baseline analyses of Tri-Synthetic, SuperSyn, and Drive Clean Blend, but no regular Drive Clean.

Thanks,

Bill

Patman,Chris,Bill it is headed towards the lab if not already there and certainly I will post! Or Terry might since he will have it before me.

I think that oil might show to be very good is why I spent the bucks to have it looked at,,,at the last minute I decided against the Supersyn for my Mothers car so I could have a car motor run analysis later of the 10/30 Drive Clean..

You know,as soon as we all in our combined efforts get this GF3 thing figured out,GF4 will keep us busy again
smile.gif
Or the Dutch Shell formulations they come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back