Mobil, Pennzoil, or Valvoline?????? AAAaaahhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dilemma...

I keep switching from one brand to the other. I really want to stick with one brand of motor oil for all applications. Oil weight is not important. Which of these three brands would you pick if looking for a great lubricating oil that also provides engine cleanliness. I am also in limbo between using dino vs. synthetic. Thanks in advance for the comments!

Pick whichever brand suits your fancy, they're all fine. I will say my vehicle seems to run a bit smoother on Mobil (non-synth) than PP, but then again it could just be that I also just washed it so what do I know.

As for Synthetic, I've never noticed any difference, but also changed it at 3k intervals so I doubt there would be any noticeable benefits on a daily driver.

If you ask most people on here, the Pennzoil YB gets alot of great reviews and great results. It's on sale at Advance Auto for another 5 days or so. It's pretty hard to beat 5 quarts and a Puralator filter for $9.95 after a rebate. I've used Vavoline products in the past with no problems either. If I may suggest a sleeper oil, Motorcraft synth blend is a very good product that is in the price range of a quart of Pennzoil YB.

It's the "sort by price" vs "sort by popularity" button war. Mobil is very hard to beat for less than 10.00 for 5 quarts at WM. Pennz YB has shown good results consistantly. Valvoline has been referred to as a sleeper oil many times. Just pick one.. it is unlikely you will find a major difference in any of the SM rated conventional oils if your OCI fits the product used. The car will still likely rot before the engine suffers an oil related failure.

A blended oil is a good compromise. AZ has 5 quarts of Durablend and a Fram Toughguard filter on sale right now for $16.99. Many people find a blended oil ( part syn, part dino ) works well for them.

Do you plan on 3,000 mile oil changes or 5-6,000 mile oil changes?

Any quality Dino will do for 3,000 miles. You might check out Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500.

For longer oil changes go with good Syn Oil like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower.

Eh...doesn't really matter. All 3 are reputable brands. Valvoline/Pennzoil both seem very good for the $$ and Mobil offers the 5000/7500 oils.

Very little difference. I don't buy PZ just because of decades old opinions put in my head from my high school shop teacher. You just need to decide who you want to make money---XOM, Shell, or Ashland.

Are there any Mobil or Valvoline retirees on this board? If not, buy Pennzoil and support my pension.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Are there any Mobil or Valvoline retirees on this board? If not, buy Pennzoil and support my pension.
grin2.gif

That's as good a reason as any and better than most.

PP and Wix or maybe PureOne. That's all I use. On my vehicles.

For my small engines, I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 but that's a horse of a different color.

Originally Posted By: jsjonz01
I have a dilemma...

I keep switching from one brand to the other. I really want to stick with one brand of motor oil for all applications. Oil weight is not important. Which of these three brands would you pick if looking for a great lubricating oil that also provides engine cleanliness. I am also in limbo between using dino vs. synthetic. Thanks in advance for the comments!

flip a coin

With me,it would be a tough choice between Pennzoil and Valvoline. If Pennzoil,I`d go yb. If Valvoline,I`d go VR1.

I'd buy Pennzoil YB for the following reasons:

1. Support Johnny in his retirement
2. It's available almost everywhere.
3. During winter, if you're so inclined, you could really give that oil a kick by adding a quart of PP that you got on sale for $1.99.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
I'd buy Pennzoil, here's a few reasons:

i think you forgot to list those reasons.. LoL

anyway IMO i'd say go with PP>valvoline syn power>YB>valvoline syn blend>valvoline dino .... i find mobil is over price and you pay more for the name brand then anything else..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back