Mobil or Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I know this has been debated to no end... but everything m finding on google is 2008 or older. I am in 2017.

Amsoil say they were the first to produce a synthetic oil. I thought Mobil claimed the same thing.

They both cant be first so whos lying?

Secondly... its websites like this: http://www.kc-synthetic-oil.com/AMSOIL-vs-Mobil-1.html

The ball wear test whatever it is... mobil looks totaly rubbish.

Now if that test proves nothing... why didnt the oil do its job though? Has gotta mean something...

Then Mobil have 1 milion km engine tests... but everything on paper seems to suggest Amsoil is the best and all else second.

Then I read this from a chemical engineer:

http://bestsyntheticoilguide.com/best-synthetic-oil/

Based on that development and research mobil is the best and nobody else can claim otherwise.

I also read on here some people state that we do our testing in small places with limited real world results while mobil 1, Doug i think was the name who was a mechanical/aircraft or something engineer can test in ways we can not which give real evidences of what oil does inspite of what is on paper and mobil always is the best.

Any clarification on anything????

Last edited:
Also regarding Doug which I read on here was tjat Mobil have milions invested into testing while the people here only have a small lab which doesnt even prove anything regarding real world results. So based on that they would prefer to trust the engineer than a forum poster.

m gonna be running a 4x4 Jeep wrangler turbo diesel 2.8L as an every day town car. General weekly drives are 500km (300 miles) around town.

I also wanna do offroad work, rock crawling, sand etc. So i need an oil thats not gonna decide "too much effort" and stop protecting my engine. I want this to last over 1 milion km with the above intended use. Cost is irrelevant. Mobil here costs 110 for 4 liters castrol costs 85. To me thats all the same.

I just need to have an oil i can confidently put in and know its the best protection i will get for a turbo diesel as a daily driver and serious offroader.

I dont want engine rebuilds or whatever because the oil was shearing or not lubricating or whatever it is that it does when it stops working instead of doing what it needs to.

35.gif
This should be good.

The way I understand it Amsoil was the first to use synthetic oil base stocks for automotive use, synthetics were around before that for use in jet turbines.
The 4 ball wear test is meaningless for engine oil, it more for grease and heavy gear lubes, pay no attention to it. Shampoo has better 4 ball wear numbers than engine oil but you wouldn't fill the crankcase with head and shoulders. .

Clarification =

Just pick an oil that makes you happy, your comparing grapes to grapes unless proven otherwise.

It doesnt matter who made the oil first and it doesnt matter who made or invented synthetic first. First doesnt mean best.
Example = when you buy A TV or appliance, do you look for the company that invented it or produced it first?

First doesnt mean best, most expensive doesnt mean best, who invented it doesnt mean best, who made it the longest doesnt mean best and today's formulas have not much to do with formulas of decades ago.

Choose an oil with the certifications that your ownser manual calls for and then pick what makes you feel best using, and after that, there is no right or wrong. Sounds boring, I know. But every opinion you get on oil will be just that, no proof that one certified oil is better then the other unless published tests show true results from multiple brands competing that one brnad is superior to surpassing all the certification tests. I have yet to see one.

Last edited:
Just use either one depending on what you can afford. Hard to look past all the marketing gimmicks isn't it.

When I was looking at synthetic 5W30s, Amsoil Signature Series probably had the most impressive VOA-type results that I saw...low NOACK loss, high TBN, low viscosity at extreme cold, etc. The downside was that it had a very high calcium level, which explained the high TBN but also was a potential issue due to LSPI concerns in my DIT engine.
I ended up running M1 5W30, which used a combination of calcium and magnesium-based detergents and made me less likely to worry about LSPI. I have also used the EP and ESP flavors of M1 since then.

Good reply - seems inquiring minds want to hear more on LSPI - but not sure all companies want to call it a problem we will help solve ...

The blurred definition of 'synthetic' means they can claim whatever they want.

In my car M1 was audibly louder than others, for that reason I would try Amsoil (which I've never used before)

You don't get to decide that and we are fortunate for that ... synthesized oil is a great product at a good price - move on ...

Both are good oils. Without any evidence either way I vote for Amsoil.

However the only way to be sure is to run both for a couple of OCIs and compare the UOAs. It is likely there will be no discernable difference.

That said, M1 does produce more metal in some engines, for example in the Jeep 4.0 the iron was almost 4x as high as Amsoil and other oils I tested.

Originally Posted By: Wreckage
Based on that development and research mobil is the best and nobody else can claim otherwise.

For most people's purposes, products from all the major competitors within a certain product tier and specification are essentially interchangeable, and indistinguishable.

For what I do in my life, if every Mobil or Shell or Castrol bottle I ever bought was filled with Amsoil of the same grade, I'd never know the difference, nor would my engines.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The blurred definition of 'synthetic' means they can claim whatever they want.

In my car M1 was audibly louder than others, for that reason I would try Amsoil (which I've never used before)

That s across the board with M1 products.

FordCapriDriver said:
Mobil 1 and Amsoil came out at more or less the same time, ( it was called Amzoil back then )
Either will do a very good job, Amsoil is more of a "boutique oil".[/quot

Amsoil came out around 1970 in the US automotive market. M1 produced synthetic engine oil for diesel engines in Alaska in the 60s, in heavy equipment. They also produced synthetic lubricants in the aviation industry in the 60s. M1 automotive oils were first used in Europe in the early 70s and first came on the US scene in 1974 as a 5-20. I first used M1 in 1978.

The 4 ball test is not designed for engine oils. It's for gear oil and grease.

Here is a link to the M1 history.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...mobil-1-history

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back