Mobil or Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I thought the Germans were first in line in the synthetic oil business.

yes, it wasn't only rocket and nuclear scientists that were brought to USA as part of Operation Paperclip. Folks who were working with Mr Fischer and Mr Tropsch, seven of them, worked on a Fischer-Tropsch factory in Lousianna, Missouri. The first patents were filed in 1920. In USA F-T patent was filed in 1926, commercialized in Germany in 1936 and later in Japan. Synthetic fuel and synthetic rubber were as important as lubricants.

In Britain, Alfred August Aicher obtained several patents for improvements to the process in the 1930s and 1940s. Aicher's company was named Synthetic Oils Ltd. Now based in Canada.

Another interesting figure, with quite a few breakthrough achievements in catalytic petrochemical reactions was a Russian emigre General Ipatieff , one of the founding fathers of oil refining industry. His high-octne concoctions finally gave British pilots ability to catch up with German aircraft in dog fights

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1. You gain nothing with Amsoil only more SA.

Amsoil. Yu gain nothing more with M1 only more valve train noise.

The French (Total ?) had a synthetic blend out in the late 1960's, IIRC. But yes it was a blend and not a complete syn...

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I thought the Germans were first in line in the synthetic oil business.

Nope. Standard Oil had a synthetic motor oil in the 20's but nobody cared. There was research into synthetic lubricants and fuels in every country during the war, but the Germans had the greatest interest in them seeing is that they always had a tenuous link to oil supplies...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Nope. Standard Oil had a synthetic motor oil in the 20's but nobody cared. There was research into synthetic lubricants and fuels in every country during the war, but the Germans had the greatest interest in them seeing is that they always had a tenuous link to oil supplies...

You're correct:

*It is believed that the first synthesized hydrocarbons were created by Friedel & Crafts in 1877 using Aluminum TriChrloride as the catalyst. Yet it wasn't until 1929 that the commercial development of synthesized hydrocarbons was undertaken by Standard Oil of Indiana. Not surprisingly there was a lack of demand for the new product and this first marketplace introduction of synthetic lubricants was commercially unsuccessful. (There is probably no relationship between this event and collapse of stock market later that year.)*

as i put my fire suit on,

Mobile 1 for cold weather, i've never seen one with a better cold pour point, the flow it has at -40ish is awesome.

then i'd vote for swepco, amsoil, or any other oil that meets the spec called for. as all of them will provide great protection.
then i'd look for a strait grade oil if weather doesn't get overly cold.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
as i put my fire suit on,

Mobile 1 for cold weather, i've never seen one with a better cold pour point, the flow it has at -40ish is awesome.

then i'd vote for swepco, amsoil, or any other oil that meets the spec called for. as all of them will provide great protection.
then i'd look for a strait grade oil if weather doesn't get overly cold.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum flows at -50C.

Originally Posted By: Wreckage
Hello,

I know this has been debated to no end... but everything m finding on google is 2008 or older. I am in 2017.

Amsoil say they were the first to produce a synthetic oil. I thought Mobil claimed the same thing.

They both cant be first so whos lying?

Secondly... its websites like this: http://www.kc-synthetic-oil.com/AMSOIL-vs-Mobil-1.html

The ball wear test whatever it is... mobil looks totaly rubbish.

Now if that test proves nothing... why didnt the oil do its job though? Has gotta mean something...

Then Mobil have 1 milion km engine tests... but everything on paper seems to suggest Amsoil is the best and all else second.

Then I read this from a chemical engineer:

http://bestsyntheticoilguide.com/best-synthetic-oil/

Based on that development and research mobil is the best and nobody else can claim otherwise.

I also read on here some people state that we do our testing in small places with limited real world results while mobil 1, Doug i think was the name who was a mechanical/aircraft or something engineer can test in ways we can not which give real evidences of what oil does inspite of what is on paper and mobil always is the best.

Any clarification on anything????

Only reason Amsoil is the "best" is because 99% of those "tests" you see conducted on Ams vs. the competition are all sponsored by Amsoil so naturally, their oil will always appear to be better than the rest in all but maybe 2 tests. Both are great oils, but Amsoil's marketing tactic and annoying [censored] tests like these will never convince me to buy their oil, unless someone gives it to me for free, I won't use it.. JMO!!
I prefer to use oils that are readily available anyway. You can't go wrong with any of the name brands today, they're all excellent compared to the oil we had 30 years ago.

As far as who was the "first" to come up with synthetic engine oil, they're both wrong. Synthetic engine oils started being experimented with and used in fighter planes in WWII, who made them is anyone's guess.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1. You gain nothing with Amsoil only more SA.

Amsoil. Yu gain nothing more with M1 only more valve train noise.

I am wondering if the more noise with Mobil 1 is dependent on engine design? Certain engines are noisier with Mobil 1 than other oils, but, not every engine?

I say this because, for our family, Mobil 1 has quieted valve train noise more than other oils. My brother's 97 Civic has 305,000 miles on it, he was using Pennzoil Platinum, then Ultra in it. There was valve tapping at idle, I even thought he might have to check and adjust the valves. He decided to try a different oil in it, and he went with Mobil 1. The valve tapping at idle is a lot quieter, to the point even he noticed it.

Our dad's 2006 Tundra runs VERY quiet with Mobil 1. Same thing with our Kubota tractors, Mobil 1 TDT makes them run quieter than Rotella T6 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back