Mobil ESP 0W40 '17 Malibu 1.5T

As some can remember Mobil was one of the first to go the reduce calcium direction and a lot of people here were all jabbering on the direction Mobil went with their add packs BEFORE LSPI was news. Of course industry guys here had the heads up before anyone else. LSPI is not as much of a thing in Europe were ESP is in it's happy place, so I don't think they push those oils as much.

So a couple of things here. Mobil reduced the amount of calcium in their oils because they are frankly in bed with GM and other OEMs, so they got first hand knowledge of the LSPI issue.

Second thing is LSPI happens in other countries as well. I also thought LSPI was an American phenomenon but some other members here pointed me to plenty of examples of LSPI happening outside the U.S. A major reason why LSPI isn’t as widely known in other counties is because Diesel engines have a much larger presence there.

I didn't know MB 229.52 & VW 504/507 included a LSPI test, thank you that's good to know. Do you have a link ?, not because I don't believe you, but rather so that I can read more.

Anyway the M1 5W30 ESP (which has MB 229.52 etc) was a side story, as the OP was talking about M1 0W40 ESP which carries only Dexos2 and nothing else. Last I heard Dexos2 still didn't include a LSPI test, unless it too has a 2020 update I missed.

I still stand by my point to the OP, is that he should run a oil in his Malibu 1.5T that is tested and approved for use in LSPI prone engines.
M1 5W30 ESP carries Dexos2 too. It is IMO much better oil that 0W40 ESP. HTHS is almost same except 0W40 has higher KV100.

Reactions: SR5
=

I have a '15 Corvette that takes Mobil's ESP 0W40... They sell for 52 bucks per 6 quarts on amazon... wellll... I need 7 quarts. At like 15 bucks a quart online (can't find it locally) I figured I buy 2 boxes (12 quarts) which will be just enough for Corvette and the Malibu which is also due for an oil change.

I did bit of searching here and it seems like it'll be fine. The results were not for the ESP 0W40 though but for other oils in same weight.

Pretty sure little thicker oil won't make a noticeable diff but I figured I ask.

I'm in south Florida which as you know is mostly hot throughout the year. Rare to see under 40 here.
I would use the ESP 0w40 in both cars. Easier to keep the same oil across the fleet. Since the 1.5 has a T, I would also share the same premium fuel for both vehicles.

I wonder how many of the engines that have LSPI issues are recommended 87 octane? Or people are using 87 octane even if it is not recommended.

I wonder how many of the engines that have LSPI issues are recommended 87 octane? Or people are using 87 octane even if it is not recommended.
I have never seen a paper that showed a statistically significant correlation between octane rating and LSPI. However, I have seen information that how the octane rating is achieved may make a difference.

I didn't know MB 229.52 & VW 504/507 included a LSPI test, thank you that's good to know. Do you have a link ?, not because I don't believe you, but rather so that I can read more.

Anyway the M1 5W30 ESP (which has MB 229.52 etc) was a side story, as the OP was talking about M1 0W40 ESP which carries only Dexos2 and nothing else. Last I heard Dexos2 still didn't include a LSPI test, unless it too has a 2020 update I missed.

I still stand by my point to the OP, is that he should run a oil in his Malibu 1.5T that is tested and approved for use in LSPI prone engines.
Look @ those VW504/507......of 3 charts of tested oils.....only 4 or 5 has Moly in it....and Mobil1 ESP is one amongst those.....since Moly is also a LSPI retardent....

Last edited:
So a couple of things here. Mobil reduced the amount of calcium in their oils because they are frankly in bed with GM and other OEMs, so they got first hand knowledge of the LSPI issue.

Second thing is LSPI happens in other countries as well. I also thought LSPI was an American phenomenon but some other members here pointed me to plenty of examples of LSPI happening outside the U.S. A major reason why LSPI isn’t as widely known in other counties is because Diesel engines have a much larger presence there.
Europe has better gas then the USA has. While they do have a LSPI issue it is far less because of better fuel.

Europe has better gas then the USA has. While they do have a LSPI issue it is far less because of better fuel.
That's interesting, how is it better in regards to not initiating LSPI?

Also, where have you seen information that correlates the "quality" of the fuel to LSPI susceptibility? Quality by what metric?

I'm interested in this because I've been a follower of what causes LSPI and what does not. Despite seeing and reading numerous papers on the subject this is the first time I've seen anyone claim this as a cause.

Look @ those VW504/507......of 3 charts of tested oils.....only 4 or 5 has Moly in it....and Mobil1 ESP is one amongst those.....since Moly is also a LSPI retardent....
Very interesting, the M1 5W30 ESP also has lots of Boron and surprisingly Potassium, that and one other Heck LL-III

M1 5W30 ESP carries Dexos2 too. It is IMO much better oil that 0W40 ESP. HTHS is almost same except 0W40 has higher KV100.
Thanks, and I also agree that the M1 5W30 ESP looks to be a better oil than the M1 0W40 ESP. Yes both are Dexos2 and should work for the OP in the Corvette. Unfortunately the OP was talking about the 0W40, not sure if the oil has been ordered yet and if it’s too late to change or not. There is always next time.

I have never seen a paper that showed a statistically significant correlation between octane rating and LSPI. However, I have seen information that how the octane rating is achieved may make a difference.

I have a hard time believing that a motor with a 13:1 or 14:1 compression ratio can or should run great on 87....

And the belief that the magical onboard computer system can totally save the motor is a big step in faith.

One that I would not be making if I had a turbo boosted motor....

People want welfaro cheap gas to run in their vehicles.... And yet GM and others want to increase RON for understandable reasons.

Agreed, but the difference is that regular old pre-ignition isn’t the same as LSPI. They carry the same words but the problem and cause are totally different.

I have a hard time believing that a motor with a 13:1 or 14:1 compression ratio can or should run great on 87....

And the belief that the magical onboard computer system can totally save the motor is a big step in faith.

One that I would not be making if I had a turbo boosted motor....

People want welfaro cheap gas to run in their vehicles.... And yet GM and others want to increase RON for understandable reasons.

In this respect I agree. I am old fashioned in some of my thinking and it seems to me that running 87 in a 13:1 compression Mazda engine is not prudent so I run 92-93. I sleep better.

Kschachn

I agree with you on that.... ^^^^^^

I understand the difference in those two situations.

Has you very well know the dropping of calcium and sodium in oils and increase in magnesium helped with the low speed pre ignition phenomena.

Actually that has made oils hold and maintain total base number better on a long, long run. And some oils increased molybdenum which may help mitigate low speed pre ignition too.

So the oil side of the equation has been handled.

In this respect I agree. I am old fashioned in some of my thinking and it seems to me that running 87 in a 13:1 compression Mazda engine is not prudent so I run 92-93. I sleep better.

My car recommends 93 for it to run it's best... My car is only 10.3:1 compression ratio. My car gets 93 all the time every time.

A 1.5 L motor with no turbo boosted on it would have been "stock" 20+ years ago...
My old Nissan Sentra had a 1.8 L motor that was hamstered powered I swear.

So in essence a 1.5 L motor that has been turbo boosted is a modification. Though stock from the factory in that setup.

I would consider any motor with a turbo added or nitrous added or supercharger added.... To be modified. And that should be considered when buying gas for them.

Last edited:
My car recommends 93 for it to run it's best... My car is only 10.3:1 compression ratio. My car gets 93 all the time every time.

A 1.5 L motor with no turbo boosted on it would have been "stock" 20+ years ago...
My old Nissan Sentra had a 1.8 L motor that was hamstered powered I swear.

So in essence a 1.5 L motor that has been turbo boosted is a modification. Though stock from the factory in that setup.

I would consider any motor with a turbo added or nitrous added or supercharger added.... To be modified. And that should be considered when buying gas for them.

I believe you and I remember when engines were only measured in cubic inches. The transition from a 350 GM V8 to a 1.8 liter economy car was a shock for most. Fuel economy was the driving force. The automakers are trying to get all the power they can out of these engines. They might have their issues but it is a marvel to witness a 2.7 EcoBoost in a Ford pickup.

That's interesting, how is it better in regards to not initiating LSPI?

Also, where have you seen information that correlates the "quality" of the fuel to LSPI susceptibility? Quality by what metric?

I'm interested in this because I've been a follower of what causes LSPI and what does not. Despite seeing and reading numerous papers on the subject this is the first time I've seen anyone claim this as a cause.
My 17 psi @1,450 rpm turbo car is rated for 87 octane by Hyundai. So 87 octane vs 95 octane ( europe's high octane at a USA rating level) appears to make no difference in LSPI propagation What he say?

Back