Mobil Drive Clean Plus (Does it clean)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen several reviews about Mobil Drive Clean Plus, but haven’t seen anything on it's “cleaning” ability.
My question is, “ how close is it to Auto-Rx'?” Does anyone have any feed back on this oils’ cleaning ability for a high mileage car? (89 Honda 2.0L, 128K miles)
Auto-Rx claims slow cleaning is the best. As such, would MDCP do the same job?
I also belive that a thiner 5W-30 or 5W-20 would clean better than the 10W-30/40 oils. Would this be correct assumption?

First off,
welcome.gif

Drive Clean is just a marketing term just as "Truck and SUV" oil is marketed. Is this oil just for trucks and SUV's? Nope. Does Mobil DC clean? Just like any other oil...

DC doesn't compare to Auto-Rx, DC is just an oil and Auto-Rx is a superior cleaning solution. DC Plus is the "synthetic blend" product.

You're better off with Pennzoil, Chevron/Havoline, or Motorcraft as a good dino oil. Use the Auto-Rx to clean things up in conjuction with any of these oils and your engine will be humming along as best as it can.

I think there's a UOA out there somewhere that showed higher than average detergents and dispersants. They may be minly marketing but there is usually something to these specialty oils. For example Truck oils often have more ZDP, high mileage oil sometims has more detergents and seal swellers, ect.

-T

Use a diesel/mixed fleet oil for long-term cleaning. Rotella has a TBN of 11.5, Havoline 7.6, and Kendall 6.2, to name three random oils. Synthetic and high-mileage oils, while having higher TBNs than gasoline oil, are still lower than diesel lubes.

I thought that MDCP had 25% MORE cleaning "stuff" in it as compaired to other Mobil products.. The product also notes that it "cleans".

If the statement like the above is printed, it must be true. As such, the question is, "how much does it really clean?" Has anyone used MDCP as a motor cleaner? And, does a thiner oil clean better than a heavy oil? To me, a thiner oil will flow faster into tighter areas..
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mettech:
If the statement like the above is printed, it must be true.

Huh? You don't really believe that, do you? (If so, most Amsoil salesmen are gonna love you.)

The DCP does have more additives than the typical buck a quart SL oil and I believe it also would clean an engine a little over time but maybe not from a conventional type additive we usually see through analysis though .

Here's a partial pull from another site with additional info on some testing of the topic oil. You will note they tested the DCP to their own DC along with noted consumption being reduced over the course of 22k miles showing signs of it's cleaning abilities since consumption was not said to be stopped immediately .
+++++++++

Cleans away deposits and sludge build-up - In head to head field, engine and lab deposit tests against Mobil Drive Clean conventional oil, the Mobil Drive Clean Plus High-Mileage formulation decreased the level of deposits in both the lab bench and engine test. In severe duty field-testing, it reduced the precursors that form deposits.

Conditions seals to prevent leaks - In a laboratory seals test, the Drive Clean Plus High-Mileage Formula helped control seal shrinkage, which occurs over time and can cause seal leakage.

Restores engine performance - A combination of three separate studies demonstrated that the Drive Clean Plus High Mileage Formula helped to: 1) Control deposits and improve piston ring sealing, 2) Provide both improved high and low temperature deposit control, which leads to better oil flow, improved engine cooling, and improved operation of engine rings, valves, and other critical engine parts, thereby restoring engine performance.

Reduces oil consumption - During a chassis dynamometer roll test of an engine with high amounts of sludge, high oil consumption was measured. Using Mobil Drive Clean Plus High-Mileage, oil consumption was reduced from approximately three quarts of oil every 1,000 miles at the start of the test, to one quart every 1,000 miles, after running the engine 22,500 test miles with normal oil changes of Drive Clean Plus High Mileage Formula.

[ June 23, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Are we talking about the drive clean plus......or the HM?

There is but one Drive Clean Plus Synthetic Blend now and it's a 5w-30 w/o seal conditioners for newer cars .

The DCPHM Synthetic Blend comes in 5w-30,10w30 and 10w-40 and if not mistaken Mobil touts it can be used in newer engines too .

I am not certain which oil the topic poster is actually refering to though but do know it's usually 2.08 a quart for the DCHMSB.
wink.gif

[ June 23, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

This virgin oil analysis by Dyson Analysis showed a TBN of 9.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000005#000000
While it would be best to compare that number to other Dyson VOAs, a "Dyson" search under the VOA section only brings up synthetic oils (the Mobil DC VOA appears to be the only conventional oil). So it's an apple-to-oranges thing. That said, from spec sheets here's some typical TBNs (I addded "MF" for diesel/mixed fleet):

Rotella MF: 11.5
Chevron Delo 400 MF: 10.2
Pennzoil Long Life MF: 11.5
Valvoline MaxLife: 8
Chevron/Havoline: 7.4
Valvoline: 7
Kendall, Union 76: 6.2
Kendall Syn 5w-30/10w-30: 7.9
Kendall Syn 5w-40: 10.1

If you don't desire to invest in syn and want good cleaning (detergent/dispersant) capability, go straight to mixed fleet lubes.

Well I think the High mileage thing is the marketing here. Rememeber they did this will M1 when SuperSyn came out. The 5w30 was "newer vehicle formula", and the 10w30 was "high mileage formula". They soon switched the 10w30 to say "multi vehicle forumla".

but they kept the high mileage line on the 10w30 and 10w40 blend.
dunno.gif

-T

I run the Drive Clean HM Blend in my 94 Nissan 4x4 truck. I chose the 10-40 for the extra viscosity and the fact that the engine has 102k on it. BUT I have noticed that it is a bit more sluggish with this weight (the whole engine is sluggish so the extra is noticeable) but it has stayed very clean according to color and was driven like a wild Indian going to crap while on my way to Atlanta in 97 degree heat, so there is something good about the oil in my opinion.

I would not count on MDC to do any cleaning. Nor would an HDEO or a good syn like Mobil 1. If you run them from the start, you will have a relatively clean engine. You probably want to check out Auto RX or Amsoil's flush to have any real impact.

I have 3.5 quarts of the 10/30 HM Blend in my car right now along with 1 quart of Mobil 1 10/30.

It doesn't turn black anywhere near as fast as Mobil 1 does.

I chose it because I make alot of short trips of less than 1 mile to work and I didn't want it diluted to a 20 weight in no time.

Like others said, I wouldn't count on ANY oil to do a significant amount of cleaning.

Overall it seems like a good oil and I'll probably be using it next time.

quote:

Originally posted by goldfinger:
I have 3.5 quarts of the 10/30 HM Blend in my car right now along with 1 quart of Mobil 1 10/30.

It doesn't turn black anywhere near as fast as Mobil 1 does.

I chose it because I make alot of short trips of less than 1 mile to work and I didn't want it diluted to a 20 weight in no time.

Like others said, I wouldn't count on ANY oil to do a significant amount of cleaning.

Overall it seems like a good oil and I'll probably be using it next time.

Mobil 1 turning dark quickly is not a bad thing! It's just a characteristic. Not to worry.
grin.gif
Color is no indication of anything.

I used Mobil Drive Clean High Mileage 10W-30 for 3.5 months (April-July '04) and 1,200 miles (mostly short-trips).
My main goal was to use an oil with good cleaning agents to remove some of the engine deposits. I was curious to see how it performed in my engine, so I cut open the Castrol MaxPro filter installed during the Mobil DC application. I am very happy with the results: even with such a short OCI, there are visible deposits trapped inside the filter. I am sorry I can't post here the photo of the filter (I don't know how), but I can e-mail it to anybody who's interested.
Moreover, during the application it completely stopped a minor rear-seal leak.
I did not get similar results with Pennzoil High Mileage or MaxLife (I don't know why), so I will stick with Mobil DC HM. I am thinking to substitute 1 quart of Mobil 1, perhaps it will clean even better, but I am not sure how the engine seal leak will respond.

So in your conclusions would this be a good oil(5w-30)Mobil Drive Clean to put in a 2005 Toyota Corolla?Or would Havoline be a better chioce,I've already purchased the Mobil DC.

quote:

Originally posted by dirtydan:
So in your conclusions would this be a good oil(5w-30)Mobil Drive Clean to put in a 2005 Toyota Corolla?Or would Havoline be a better chioce,I've already purchased the Mobil DC.

Of the two my choice would be the Mobil . Actually I would step up to the Drive Clean Blend 5w-30 for newer cars . Pay a little more and get a little better product not that the Drive Clean is bad . In fact come API SM it should even be a better oil .

This Blend is Saabs oil of choice for the 5w-30 now that they do not import the the made by Mobil Saab branded 5w-30 Syn Blend anylonger . " as of last week "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back