Mobil Drive Clean Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about the Mobil DC+ is that you get the cold weather performance of a good conventional oil in a High Mileage formulation with PAO for the same aproximate price as other HM oils.

Eastexan: I'm glad you've had good experience with MDC in your vehicles. You should probably stick with it. I'm not sure why you'd want to put junk in your engine when better oil is available at a lower price (Chevron and Texaco to name a few), but that's your business.

Here's a quantified example of what a turd this oil is (20w-50 oils listed, but the same contrasts appear with other weights as well):

Chevron flashpoint: 496F
Havoline: 496F
Citgo: 473F
Pennzoil: 450F
Valvoline: 446F
Quaker State: 441F
Mobil Drive Clean: 392F

So there you have it. Unless Mobil screwed up their numbers, Chevron/Havoline has a flashpoint which is 104 degrees F higher than MDC!!! And last time I checked, it's cheaper than MDC. Once again, if this junk works well in your car/truck, go for it. Personally, I'll choose to spend less money on a better product.

Motorbike: I agree with you that to choose an oil based solely on flashpoint or any other single trait would be foolish. We're in agreement on that. On the other hand, to EXCLUDE a product based on one particularly bad trait -- not only is that logical, it's smart, especially when better alternatives are available at lower cost. There's too many decent, inexpensive oils out there to settle for this one.

Well another thread squashed by insulting the inteligience of owners that have had great luck using the plain MDC and the basis for these insults were quantified by what ? Ohhh yeah , the oil was used in a couple **** oil burners and mumbo jumbo about flash points of 50wts vs 5/30 - 10/30 wt GF-3 oils.

The topic was about the new Drive Clean + anyway .

You two were great
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TC:

Chevron flashpoint: 496F
Havoline: 496F
Citgo: 473F
Pennzoil: 450F
Valvoline: 446F
Quaker State: 441F
Mobil Drive Clean: 392F

It seems to me that the low flashpoint is why the MDC product has more than it's fair share of people not too happy about excessive consumption in their engines. When these people move to a different oil, the consumption lessens or disappears.

Guys, let's get back on topic, which is Drive Clean Plus!! Let's drop the flashpoint issue, since Drive Clean Plus 10W30 has a flashpoint of 442, according to the MSDS sheets, and a Mobil Tech that I just got off the phone with
phone.gif
-Joe

My apologies to anyone who has had good results using this oil. If so, stick with a good thing, same for any other oil for that matter. Mobil's been making reputable products for about a century now, so they must know something. I guess I don't understand those few who trash talk someone because they notice a 58-104 degree difference in flashpoints, as if such a glaring discrepancy is somehow of no significance.

For the record...
Chevron Supreme 5w-30 FP: 450F
Mobil Drive Clean 5w-30 FP: 392F
Chevron Supreme 10w-30 FP: 450F
Mobil Drive Clean 10w-30 FP: 392F
The MDC shortfall is across-the-board with all their weights.

Per Mobil's current MDC (not "MDC Plus") spec sheet, the MDC flashpoint per ASTM D-92 for all their multiweights is "392F," and not ">392F."
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Drive_Clean_Oils.asp

[ December 18, 2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

I guess I don't understand those few who trash talk someone because they notice a 58-104 degree difference in flashpoints, as if such a glaring discrepancy is somehow of no significance.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding Mobil Drive Clean and Mobil Drive Clean Plus. I thought the initial thought was talking about Drive Clean Plus (i.e. synthetic blend), but now I am not so sure.

Curtis, you are right, there is some confusion. The thread is about Drive Clean Plus, yet some members keep bringing up regular Drive Clean. As I mentioned before, we need to get back on topic and quit talking about regular Drive Clean and focus on the "Plus" formula. Thanks, Joe

-

The bottle of oil in the middle
grin.gif
..................................................................^

[ December 18, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

It will be interesting to see results of Drive Clean Plus as the flash points for the 5w-30 and 10w-30 are the same as the standard Drive Clean product at 392 degrees. The only one higher is the DC+ 10w-40 at 440 degrees.

Ok guys, the flashpoint for the old Blend 10W30 is 392 degrees F. The flashpoint for the new "Plus" 10W30 is 442 F according to the MSDS sheets on Mobil's website. I am sure that the new "Plus" will also perform well in my truck. I will provide UOA results of the new "Plus" formula after I drain the current fill of Mobil 1 10w30 that I have in the truck now. It will be a while, but I will post the results. -Joe

twak.gif
Mobil Drive Clean Flashpoint
itschy.gif

[ December 18, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Actualy neither of my vechiles were or are oil burners. My 1986 TOyota 4Runner still to this day does not consume any more then 1 quart of oil over 7500 mile oil change interval.THe 1986 4Runner has been in the family since new and I learned how to drive on it! The Dodge 4x4 was a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7 V8. It never burnt any oil before or after the MDC incident over the two year period I owned it. As a mater of fact I have never owned a vechile that has ever burnt more then 1 quart over the oci requardless of age and most have never burnt more then 1/2 a quart on average.

I also think that if you look you can see that MDC and MDCB does not turn in that great of UOA numbers. Remember that Toyota Bottled oil is MDC. We can also see that $2.49 for the new Mobile Drive Clean Plus is no bargin when M1 is $3.88 a quart in more then one retail outlet!!!

John, I wish I could find Mobil 1 for $3.88, around here it is $4.77 at Walmart, we have no other retail stores here in South Ga
mad.gif

Guys, I am a firm believer that various motor oils perform differently in different engines. There is no panacea of oil that is a "cure all" for every engine made. I choose to run the Drive Clean Plus, because I have gotten good results from the old "Blend" in the past. If I run UOAs of the new "Plus" and am not happy with it, then I will try something different. I am sure that there are several oils that will probably outperform the MDC+, but right now, I'm sticking with the MDC+. -Joe

quote:

We can also see that $2.49 for the new Mobile Drive Clean Plus is no bargin...

I saw Mobil DC+ on the shelves at a local Kmart several months ago for about $2.29 per qt.. At the time I was using Maxlife, but I've always liked Mobil products and was very tempted to buy it. Then I found this site, read about Chevron Supreme, and never looked back.
grin.gif

Joee12 what part of Ga. are you in. I spent time in Ft.Benning, Columbus, Ft. Stewart and Savanha. Georgia is a lovely state. I used to go the tybee and Jackyl Island often(sp). My favorite resturant is Love's Seafood!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Joee12 what part of Ga. are you in. I spent time in Ft.Benning, Columbus, Ft. Stewart and Savanha. Georgia is a lovely state. I used to go the tybee and Jackyl Island often(sp). My favorite resturant is Love's Seafood!

John, I live in Savannah, only 10 minutes from Loves Seafood
smile.gif
How long has it been since you were here? -Joe

[ December 21, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Well I moved to Michigan in 1993 but until about 3 years ago my Mother and Father lived in Hinesville and had a home there. From 1993 until about 3 years ago I would always come down when school was not in session so about 3-4 times a year I was down their. I miss it a lot. I really do not like Michigan that much any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back