Mobil Drive Clean Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer changed my oil yesterday and put in "Mobil non-synthetic." I assume that this means Drive Clean, although the service advisor didn't know for sure. But the unit price listed on the invoice is for $2.48. So my guess is that they may have put in the Drive Clean Synthetic Blend. I want the straight Drive Clean and not the blend because I am doing the cleaning phase of my Auto RX application.

So can they really charge $2.48 a quart unless it is the blend? Are there any other Mobil dino oils out there besides Drive clean? Thanks

cool.gif
$2.48 is average for what a dealer or service station will charge you for plain dino oil. Blend will be a buck or two more, full syn they're probably charge you around $7-$8 a quart. A set of ramps, a creeper, and a drain pan will pay for themselves quickly.

The reason I choose Walmart, (although I do check all work and typically watch over a bit during change and chat with oil changers casually as they do it). You can choose any bottled oil for 15.88 (dino), ~$20 (blend) or ~27 synthetic (I choose Mobil 1).

It could be either dino or the blend, only the shop you used should be able to tell for sure. They have to know.

Probably can't tell by price. My GM dealer pumps the bulk blend for that price.

Request that they find out for sure for you.

Thanks for the responses guys. As soon as I move into my new house and have a garage, I'll be changing my own oil to avoid situations like this in the future. I went to Autozone and noticed that the Drive Clean Blend was $2.49, basically the same price as what the invoice said......so I'm guessing there is a decent chance that it could be the blend which means that I may have to run dino again after this interval to complete the Auto RX phase.

BTW, for this interested, the Autozone was stocked full of GC. Looks like that oil is here to stay as I haven't seen the U.S. made stuff for a while.

I would have to say they (the dealer) put in Mobil Drive Clean oil, not Drive Clean Plus. There is not much of a markup on store-bought oil and the dealer is going to try to make money on the parts (in this case, oil) and the service.

Ð

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Passing up the GC for DCO?

grin.gif
Note a chance.
I'm just using the drive clean to complete the Auto RX phase which requires a dino.
Once the phase is complete, I'll be going back to synthetic. Probably Mobil 1, 0w-40

leinad35
The dealer already bends the customer over by charging $25 for labor on an oil change! Total cost was $54. They don't have to mark up oil to get you.

I called back to find out for sure and the service manager insisted it was Mobil dino. But his response wasn't confidence inspiring because he asked which engine I had before finding out (there are two passat engines, a 1.8T turbo and a V6 non-turbo) as they appear to use two different oils depending on the engine. Given that the 1.8T is rough on oils and dino oils often lead to sludging, my guess is that they are using a blend for the 1.8t to avoid warranty work. But this is just a guess and I hope you guys are right.

[ April 03, 2004, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Auto-RX couldn't be used with a PAO/dino oil like Mobil Drive Clean blend? I thought it was best not to use it with an ester basestock oil because the esters interfere with it's work.

Jay,
I emailed Frank at Auto RX and he said that if it is indeed the drive clean blend, then I should run it for 3k and then do another 2k with straight dino.

Auto-RX couldn't be used with a PAO/dino oil like Mobil Drive Clean blend? I thought it was best not to use it with an ester basestock oil because the esters interfere with it's work.

[ April 03, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back