Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75w-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - my 4Runner Repair Manual specifies using API GL-5 75w-90 in the differentials and transfer case. I've read that Shell Spirax and Mobil Delvac are two of the top products in that category. Though they are commercial gear lubricants, could they be used in my application? I want to be sure I'm using the best possible lubricant. Are there alternate products that would be better?

Thanks!

If you are looking for absolute bests (if there is such a thing), checkout Red Line and the Mobil 1 product lines. Redline will be an ester based product (group V) and Mobil likely PAO.

Red Line 75W-90 GL-5
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube GL-5

Anyway, that is my $0.02.

+1 on the Red Line 57904 (75W90) GL-5 Synthetic Gear Oil

I'm running it in the diffs on my Miata and Lincoln MKX.

Originally Posted By: donvalley
Hi - my 4Runner Repair Manual specifies using API GL-5 75w-90 in the differentials and transfer case. I've read that Shell Spirax and Mobil Delvac are two of the top products in that category. Though they are commercial gear lubricants, could they be used in my application? I want to be sure I'm using the best possible lubricant. Are there alternate products that would be better?

Thanks!

I used Mobil1 75w90 in my 4 Runner with excellent results. You can step up the rear diff to 75w140 if you do any towing.

I've used GL-5 75w-90 from M1, Valvoline, Mopar, and Wally.

Neither my vehicles or myself could tell the difference. Only my wallet.

I don't think the Delvac 75w-90 comes in anything smaller than 4-quart jugs.

As far as synthetic basestocks go, is Ester (Group V) superior to PAO?

Ooops - correction: both M1 75w-90 and Delvac 75w-90 come in 1 quart bottles for about the same price.

The only M1 Synthetic Gear Lube I can find is the "LS" version for Limited Slip. Is that the one being referred to, or is there an non-LS version? I don't think my differential is limited-slip.

I use Delvac in my 2010 4Runner. I didn't want the LS modifiers in M1.
The FJ guys have been using it for years, seems it's also popular with Porsche enthusiasts.
Zoro.com has a decent price and free shipping. They also have constant discount offers.
How many miles on your 4R? I changed my rear at 30k and feel it was a good time to change it. No analysis, though. Changed my front and dif at 45k and that felt way too early.
You can check out the 4Runner forums for some good how-to's.

Hi,
donvalley - I've used Delvac 75W-90 over many millions of kms, primarily in OTR Prime movers but in various vehicles from Porsche to Mitsubishi and all inbetween

In my OTR Prime movers I settled on "lifetime" (1m kms) OCIs with great results. Monitored by UOAs of course!

I field tested many other lubricants before settling on Delvac for my vehicles

Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
I use Delvac in my 2010 4Runner. I didn't want the LS modifiers in M1.
The FJ guys have been using it for years, seems it's also popular with Porsche enthusiasts.
Zoro.com has a decent price and free shipping. They also have constant discount offers.
How many miles on your 4R? I changed my rear at 30k and feel it was a good time to change it. No analysis, though. Changed my front and dif at 45k and that felt way too early.
You can check out the 4Runner forums for some good how-to's.

Thanks 1000MPH. I've got about 150k miles on the 4Runner, and still running well. It's a 5-speed, and so requires an API GL-4 oil for the tranny (Redline MT-90), but a GL-5 in the diffs as you know. Funny you mention the FJ guys, as that's where I got the idea to use Delvac 75w-90.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
donvalley - I've used Delvac 75W-90 over many millions of kms, primarily in OTR Prime movers but in various vehicles from Porsche to Mitsubishi and all inbetween

In my OTR Prime movers I settled on "lifetime" (1m kms) OCIs with great results. Monitored by UOAs of course!

I field tested many other lubricants before settling on Delvac for my vehicles

Thanks Doug - appreciate hearing about your extensive experience with the Delvac products. Do you use Delvac Transmission 50 in your manual transmissions? Had been looking at replacing the Redline MT-90 in my manual transmission with it, but can't seem to find if the Delvac will not corrode yellow-metal synchronizers. Redline allows for smooth shifting, but I'm not sure if it offers gear protection like some commercial products. I've heard of a few people opting for Shell Spirax synthetic in their manual trannys, since it has a copper strip rating of 1A.

Hi,
donvalley - Yes I used Delvac Synthetic 50 in my Eaton-Fuller 18spd gearboxes. This is an excellent product!

Castrol's "original" gear oils were also first class, being primarily Engineered in Germany. I Commercially field tested these too

When I first started using synthetic gear and transmission lubricants in Heavy Vehicles here in Australia during early 1988 or so it was looked at as being risky. Castrol were a leader in this field then. Of course it wasn't risky, and I had done extensive field testing in OZ and elsewhere. Eaton Truck Components' 1993 document on using synthetic gear/transmission lubricants just confirmed my findings too

One problem here in OZ is very high train weights (all up weight), steep inclines (high gear loadings/low speeds), very high ambient temperatures and long distances on sometimes quite poor roads, and sometimes very high road speeds

Synthetic gear/transmission lubricants are well suited to this type of environment. I experienced a reduction in component temperatures of up to 20C in various applications after converting to synthetics

When changing over from Sulphur based EP lubricants to synthetics there is a risk of seal seepage if its not done right or after very high mileages

I hope this is of interest

If you don't have an LSD, no need for LS fluids.

I am also no fan of the negatives of LS additives that are never mentioned, and am not happy that pretty much all autopart store sourced GL5 is predosed with LS additive.

Use the OTR GL5 non-LS gear oils in your Toyota. The Mack GO-J Plus list of gear oils are excellent. Motul and Redline also have non-lsd GL5.

I've used SAE50 gear oils in automotive manual transmissions. It is thicker, not a multi weight, had no issues, but can't recommend it for Northern usage. It was a bandaid for too much heat/HP/shock.... Many SAE50's also state for non-synchronized transmissions and don't always list a GL-rating. Don't use it in your Toyota.

For the manual transmission, stick with the GL4 75w90. And, in your Canadian climate, I'd even consider a GL4 75w85.

Redline MT90 protects well. Amsoil and Ford also sell a GL4 if you want to try another brand. Redline, Hyundai, Nissan, GM, Mopar... have GL4 75w85.

Im running Delvac 75W90 in my Crown Vic LX. No problems. Only has like 25k on it though. That axle is getting pulled soon for a new one due to upgrade to 4.10 gears.
Its API GL-5 and meets SAE J2360 as well. No reason you can't use it in more 'pedestrian' applications.
Its top tier stuff. I wouldnt hesitate to use it in my new axle with $1200 worth of parts in it after I break it in and find out what temperature its going to run.

I'm going to change the front and rear diff fluids in
both 2011 2500 and 2013 1500 GMC's.
The 1500 never sees sever cold weather and the 2500
a few times per year.
I have a 20L pail filled in 2003 of syn 75W90 with 15 liters
left in it. OK to use?
My other option is Mobil LS 75W90 for a price, or I can
switch to LS 80W90 which is much cheaper.
Would a 80W90 GL5 be a better choice given the ambient and
be more shear resistant than the lighter 75W90?
What is the shelf life of gear lubes?

A slight perspective on this. My diffs on my semi truck were factory filled with Mobil 75w90 synthetic. the diff manufacturer will automatically extend the warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles by using synthetic gear lube. The recommended drains are extended from 120,000 to 500,000 for synthetic. And those diffs regularly having to move up to 80,000 lb of truck and trailer, year round, in all areas of the country, and subjected to 1850 lb of torque from the motor. Must be something that is good about using a quality synthetic in diffs to cause the OEM to extend warranty and drain interval. And yes, this is the same Mobil 1 75w90 that anyone can buy at a auto parts outlet. I would think it should do a very good job in a car or pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back