Mobil Delvac Extreme synthetic 15w-40

Google Rotella and select Shopping

Then select Images ...

bet you will see some beyond the Walmart trio ...

TBN at 4.7?? Either that's a mistake, or a hard pass from me on this one, that's way too low! Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 starts at 12!
Had conversation with Blackstone today, they retested TBN and got 8.7. These are m
amended results. They were very apologetic.

Attachments

• OilReports.aspx delvac.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: SR5
Had conversation with Blackstone today, they retested TBN and got 8.7. These are m
amended results. They were very apologetic.
If they retested it to come back with a TBN of 8.7 does that mean Mobil 1's claim of a TBN >10 is a lie, or is Blackstone shooting off numbers randomly?

Now that would be a shear stable oil, it comes in two grades 10W30 and 15W40 according to this Mobil web page
https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-Delvac-Extreme

Both are API CK-4, ACEA E7 & E9, plus many OEMs, both have a strong TBN of 10.3

10W30 HTHS = 3.6 cP, KV100 = 11.8 cSt,
15W40 HTHS = 4.1 cP, KV 100 = 14.3 cSt,

They don't mention ZDDP levels, but the 15W40 is API SL/SM rated, while the 10W30 is not. Given that Phos levels (from ZDDP) are more restricted for 30 grades than 40 grades, I read this as these being higher ZDDP oils. ZDDP is an anti-wear agent that protects the metal, but also an antioxidant that protects the oil itself. A VOA would be interesting.

The CCS limit for both those winter grades (10W and 15W) is 7000 cP (at -25 C and -20 C respectively), and they test out to be 6600 and 6100 respectively. This is getting close to the upper limits, which suggest to me that thicker base oil was used for the viscosity, and less polymer VII. So I would expect high shear stability and low Noack volatility.

All this on a synthetic base, says a very strong oil with a long life. Which is what Mobil is selling

Mobil Delvac Extreme is formulated with synthetic basestocks and a boosted additive system tailored to deliver extended performance for up to two times beyond OEM recommended oil drain intervals. The proprietary formulation delivers excellent wear protection, exceptional oxidation stability, and outstanding TBN retention. Mobil Delvac Extreme FE also provides outstanding resistance to oil consumption, oxidation, corrosive and abrasive wear, and high temperature deposits.
Most 15W-40 and 20W-50 oils are rather shear-stable to begin with, regardless of being conventional or synthetic. I had calculated the conventional Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W-40 to be more shear-stable than the synthetic Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W-40. Group III base stocks tend to be not available in higher viscosities. There was a brochure by Chevron touting the Group II 15W-40 HDEOs to be better than synthetic HDEOs.

Both seem to start with a VI ~ 120 base oil, with the Extreme's base oil being slightly thinner with more VII added.

Another possibility is that Group II base stocks have reached the point that they are actually Group III. The only difference between Group II and Group III is the viscosity index (VI). The same base oil will be considered Group II if a given batch has VI = 119 and it will be considered Group III if a different batch has VI = 120. What I am trying to say is that Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W-40 and Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W-40 may have practically the same base oil. The overall formulations are different though, as the Extreme flavor has 44% more ZDDP according to the label—hence is not SN-rated.

Last edited:
If they retested it to come back with a TBN of 8.7 does that mean Mobil 1's claim of a TBN >10 is a lie, or is Blackstone shooting off numbers randomly?

Here's an explanation from this thread: Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 VOA | Bob Is The Oil Guy
Donald, if you remember about a year and a half ago, dustyroads and I had independently tested the Delo XLE 10W30 and came back with surprisingly low TBN; dusty found a Chevron white paper that explained the new ashless detergents would show about 1.5 points lower than normal detergents, even though the actual acid-fighting power was the same. Another note is Blackstone most definitely uses the ASTM for used oils not virgin; most notes on this tend to show a similar 1-2 point decrease using the used oil vs. new oil test. So, in reality compared to what you're used to seeing, the TBN is likely the equivalent of around 9.7-10.

Maybe Mola can weigh in and confirm and expand our knowledge.

This puppy just got on rollback at walmart for 17.48 thinkin of buying a good amount myself... because t6 never drops this low during rollback and your getting a syn thats just as good or even better at the moment

Back